What do you think of the nap-o-meter?

serena

Ladies, what do you think of the nap-o-meter as an alternative hair typing system? Andre's is so limiting that I'm still not sure where I fit in his scheme of things /images/graemlins/confused.gif. On the other hand, it should be fairly simple to count my naps per inch, after two months or so of new growth /images/graemlins/grin.gif. I intend to give it a try just before my next touch up.

Here's a link to the nap-o-meter:

http://www.naturalaxer.com/nap-o-meter.html

londongirl3

I like the site but I'm not leaving relaxers now. Lye relaxers seem to be in vogue. I think I heard some bad vibes about natural relaxers though.

Not to be discouraging but you should read up on what it contains before you use it.

serena

Londongirl, I don't intend to use the product either - I'm posting about the hair typing system (using cpi) as an alternative to Andre's, which gets pretty vague when he comes to the 4's. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

serena

Our hair has such variety that I'm not sure whether any hair typing system can really do it justice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

beana3

serena , dont take offense to this its about the website, not you /images/graemlins/wink.gif
I don't like the way they made the natural haired women look. They made them look "unkept" "unhappy" and miserable!!! what the hell is up with that??? I thought the N4 woman had beautiful hair and they took "prison" photos of her. Just a lil peeved off....

serena

I think that most of the models in the 'before' shots look as if their hair could have done with some grooming prior to taking the pics: I mean combing, a little trimming/patting in some cases, etc. I guess makeover people in general do that deliberately to highlight the contrast afterwards (giving the impression that their product works such great wonders!), when in fact the contrast would be much less if they'd just let you comb your hair and put on a little lipstick and powder first! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(Edited to add that I wasn't offended.)

H

HoneyRockette

There is still something I don't understand about the distinction between 4a and 4b. I think I am a 4a only because I don't see any zig zags. My new growth is more coily, (like the diamter of one of those big bobby pins) but I am looking at the 4a lady's picture and I don't think my natural hair looks like that. If it did I don't think I would've gotten a relaxer. So what is in between 4a and 4b? Does this just mean I have a such mixture of 4a and 4b that neither type can be distinguished? So what category would that put me in?

caress

What picture are you referring to exactly? You can't compare the type N4 or 4cpi in the napometer system to Andre's type 4. From the way I always understood it, all 4s have nappy hair. A 4a has coils and a 4b has zigzags.

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
serena said:
Our hair has such variety that I'm not sure whether any hair typing system can really do it justice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree...that's why I really don't like typing my hair at all.... I found the nap-o-meter(?) even more confusing /images/graemlins/confused.gif then Andre's...it gets 'too' specific for me...like an overkill. If I have to 'typecast'...(which I really don't want to...) I'll just use what I've been using.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
It's a scam ,in my opinion. They want u to buy the product so they show the b4 and after pics. This product did nothing 4 me but take out my hair. Don't be fooled by the napometer. Stick w/ a reg relaxer- there is no such thing as a natural relaxer w/o chemicals.

ThickHair

londongirl3 said:
I like the site but I'm not leaving relaxers now. Lye relaxers seem to be in vogue. I think I heard some bad vibes about natural relaxers though.

Not to be discouraging but you should read up on what it contains before you use it.
It's a texturize, that all, so you wouldn't be leaving a relaxer.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
i've seen that site before. i'm not sure what my natural hair will look like. from looking at my new growth, it looks like N^2 or N^3...

but it's hard to tell what your hair type is based on that nap-o-meter, andre's system, and LOIS. it's all made up and someone elses' opinion.

Last edited:

mkstar826

supersonic
I think it sucks. Just like Andre's system...

I think LOIS is the more sensible of the ones I've seen. But I think they're all flawed because there are so many different hair types out there that no typing system could ever be accurate.

Last edited:

Amarech

LOIS all the way.

for clarification for L, O and for S I would use upper and lower case because that's what it looks like to me. On my head I have big S and little s. One girls head I did had all littl o's.

That naturalxer site is offensive to me. why whenever there is any sort of "typing" why does it go from least curliest to nappy? Why can't it be the other way around?
Just another reason why I like LOIS. But a lot of people still don't know about "her" so I use Andre's system.

jainygirl

mkstar826 said:
I think it sucks. Just like Andre's system...

I think LOIS is the more sensible of the ones I've seen. But I think they're all flawed because there are so many different hair types out there that no typing system could ever be accurate.
I know, this is very true. Even though i find the LOIS much better a system than Andre's i still dont think it captures my hair type. For instance my hair according to the LOIS is OS but whenever people read OS they are thinking big loopy curls or springy curls. My OS hair is very tightly coiled napps so i dont think this description captures my hairs type completely.

Just like with the Andre system, 4a hair is supposed to be strands shaped like S's and O's which mine is, but at the same time my hair is not curly, it's coily/nappy. I dont feel comfortable calling my hair 4a because to me it isnt.

I'm about to take Pookey and your lead and start saying, "my type" hair because the typing systems need some work. -- jainygirl

Last edited: