What do you think of this (mild relaxer + conditioner)?

Glib Gurl

Tia Williams just posted this on her blog:

I'd had this weird kink in the front of my hair, towards the bottom--and no matter how much I flatironed or curling iron-ed it, that piece never stayed straight. It drove me NUTS. So, I asked Adelina if there was anything I could do for that section, short of a relaxer. Fabulous Addie was like, "Sure mami! Let's do a relaxing conditioner!" She proceeded to whip together equal parts deep conditioner and relaxer (she used Paul Mitchell Super-Charged Moisturizer, $10.99; with SoftSheen-Carson Optimum Care Mild Relaxer, $6.99), and then massaged it into my weird, frizzy section of hair. After letting it marinate for ten minutes, it was business as usual--she washed it out once, followed with conditioner, and that was that! Brilliant. I mean, what a fabulous option if you just need super-mild relaxing (ideal for little girls, too).

What do you think - good idea? Bad idea? I've never self-relaxed, but this sounds like a neat alternative . . . .

Last edited:
Tia Williams just posted this on her blog:

I'd had this weird kink in the front of my hair, towards the bottom--and no matter how much I flatironed or curling iron-ed it, that piece never stayed straight. It drove me NUTS. So, I asked Adelina if there was anything I could do for that section, short of a relaxer. Fabulous Addie was like, "Sure mami! Let's do a relaxing conditioner!" She proceeded to whip together equal parts deep conditioner and relaxer (she used Paul Mitchell Super-Charged Moisturizer, $10.99; with SoftSheen-Carson Optimum Care Mild Relaxer, $6.99), and then massaged it into my weird, frizzy section of hair. After letting it marinate for ten minutes, it was business as usual--she washed it out once, followed with conditioner, and that was that! Brilliant. I mean, what a fabulous option if you just need super-mild relaxing (ideal for little girls, too).

What do you think - good idea? Bad idea? I've never self-relaxed, but this sounds like a neat alternative . . . .

Bumping....I was reading the post on stretching. This is the first time I wont be relaxing w/i 6-8 weeks. The stretching post make me wonder if this is going to be beneficial (I have NO hair to loose)....Anyone???

i'm not sure if this is a good idea. when people use relaxers to texlax, some add oils to slow down the process. this is safe because oil doesn't have a pH. adding conditioner, or anything water based, will alter the pH of the relaxer, and if you add too much, you could make the relaxer useless.

think about it... relaxers can only relax at high pHs (lye = around 12 - 14, no lye around 9 - 12). adding a conditioner (usually acidic, with pHs around 4 - 8) will neutralize the relaxer itself.

but then again, if it worked for you, then it worked for you! just be careful about what you're adding, and make sure it won't ruin the purpose of what you're doing.

i'm not sure if this is a good idea. when people use relaxers to texlax, some add oils to slow down the process. this is safe because oil doesn't have a pH. adding conditioner, or anything water based, will alter the pH of the relaxer, and if you add too much, you could make the relaxer useless.

think about it... relaxers can only relax at high pHs (lye = around 12 - 14, no lye around 9 - 12). adding a conditioner (usually acidic, with pHs around 4 - 8) will neutralize the relaxer itself.

but then again, if it worked for you, then it worked for you! just be careful about what you're adding, and make sure it won't ruin the purpose of what you're doing.

When you add the fatty acid (or oil) to the alkaline relaxer it lowers the PH of the relaxer making it milder...this is the same thing that occurs when you add a conditioner which is also usually acidic :)

Last edited:
Oil does have a PH, oil is acidic...that is why they are called "fatty acids"

When you add the fatty acid to the alkaline relaxer it lowers the PH of the relaxer making it milder...this is the same thing that occurs when you add a conditioner which is also usually acidic :)

really? i read that pH only applies to water-based substances.
oh well :) there goes my theory.

really? i read that pH only applies to water-based substances.
oh well :) there goes my theory.

Nevermind I lied :lachen::lachen:

http://web.jjay.cuny.edu/~acarpi/NSC/7-ph.htm

I think that both oil and conditioner lower the PH of a relaxer.

Now I wanna do my research on why a fatty acid isn't actually acidic :scratchch

ETA: I found this

"Fatty acids are basically long molecules which behave like oils but which have an acidic "head" at one end (in chemical form it's written COOH - Carbon linked to an OH group and double-bonded to Oxygen).

This oil-and-acid arrangement enables the molecule to link to both oily substances and watery ones (the same as soap and detergent does)."

Last edited:
Very interesting... but I'm not sure I would try it. I get nervous about stuff like that (mixing chemicals) real easily. :ohwell:

I've added Elucence MBC and/or oil to my mom's relaxer. She, naturally, has real thin, sparsely placed, dry strands. If I had to pick one, I'd guess her texture to be 4a.

Back