Do you have to trim if you have slip ends?

BlkOnyx488

Do you have to trim if you have split ends?

Ok I know Cathy Howse's method is trimming is not necessary.

But I just discovered I have seval split ends
I have not trimmed my ends in two years.
should I do I light dusting, or just ignor it?

wwyd? What would YOU do?:grin:

Last edited:

msa

I would do a good search and destroy.

I've learned from experience that not trimming split/knotted ends only causes more tangles, knots, splits, and breakage. You end up losing more in the long run.

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
It's been over a year since I've trimmed my hair:look:. I may do a very light dusting sometime this week.

MarieB

ITA; nip them in the bud, as it were...:lachen: But yeah, when I let split ends go unchecked, they spread further up the hair shaft, like weeds in a garden.

Nonie

I would do a trim w/o hesitation. I don't even believe in search and destroy coz you have too many strands to be able to see each one, and if in the two years any of the split ends has traveled up the strand and one part broken off, you'll erroneously assume it isn't a split end and the weak strand left from that tearing away will retard your progress and affect your retention. My rule is regular dusting of all strands will keep your hair nice and thick and ends from ruining your progress.

CaliDiamond

At least dust your ends (1/16th to 1/8th of an inch) at least once a year depending on your goals. I am in the process of getting rid of overprocessed ends so I dust my ends once every 6 months or as needed. My focus is heathy hair and long hair usually follow
healthy hair.

Kacie

As a fine haired lady, the answer is YES. Using the split end chart as a guide, I S&D at least once a week and I dust after every relaxer.

aa9746

I would do a trim w/o hesitation. I don't even believe in search and destroy coz you have too many strands to be able to see each one, and if in the two years any of the split ends has traveled up the strand and one part broken off, you'll erroneously assume it isn't a split end and the weak strand left from that tearing away will retard your progress and affect your retention. My rule is regular dusting of all strands will keep your hair nice and thick and ends from ruining your progress.

How often do you dust?

Nonie

How often do you dust?

I'm trying to get back to my routine of doing it every 8 weeks. When I did, my hair thrived nicely. I got this much growth in one year (from one inch a year before) and then a year later, still on that dusting schedule, I was here. I've since slacked but I'm trying to do that now.

Since I'm in braids, I just start from the back redoing my braids and snipping off about 1/4 inch (__) from the end as I get to each braid till all have been trimmed. If I go too long w/o dusting then the ends of my hair feel really thin so I'm forced to trim off a little more to get a nice blunt thick end.

I'm hoping that when my hair is long enough to bun I will do more protective styling and so not need to dust often.