What do people have against long hair?

UmSumayyah

I just finished watching "A Makeover Story" on TLC. There was a woman with long hair, I'd between bra-strap and waist-length. It's part of the show that friends and family are interviewed on what they'd like to see. Her family/friends (not all but most I think) said they wanted to see her with short hair.
When she got in the hairdressers chair, the stylist put her hair in a braid and then cut it at the nape of her neck. The lady cried and said she didn't think it would be that difficult to lose her hair. In the end she is happy with her new layers and highlights.
Anyway, her hair before didn't look all that great (I suspect she didn't do many deep conditionings) but they could've cut it to just below shoulder and made it look fabulous.
What IS it with people wanting to see long haired ladies go super-short?

Karonica

Because, no one would probably care to watch her get her long hair made over. The more dramatic, the better. That is, on television shows like that and "Ambush Makeover." In reality, most people hate to see women get rid of their long hair, or at least most black women, I think.

ms_kenesha

I love A Makeover Story and Ambush Makeover in fact I just got finished watching Ambush Makeover. I think it's more of a dramatic change when someone goes from super long to short. That's the only reason why I wouldn't want to get a makeover, they always cut your hair!

Karonica

I love Ambush Makeover too. My favorite part is when they do the hair.
But sometimes, those people are too aggressive with the people that get ambushed. If somebody came up to me in the street and said "You need a makeover!" I'd say, "You're going to need an ambulance!"

Victorian

old head
Perhaps this woman has always had the same hairstyle or something, and her family and friends wanted to see a new look. It does seem like most people like longer hair in general, but if someone has always had long hair and doesn't really do much with it, it can be boring, especially if it's not very healthy.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
But sometimes, those people are too aggressive with the people that get ambushed. If somebody came up to me in the street and said "You need a makeover!" I'd say, "You're going to need an ambulance!"

[/ QUOTE ]

PrettyBrownEyes

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps this woman has always had the same hairstyle or something, and her family and friends wanted to see a new look. It does seem like most people like longer hair in general, but if someone has always had long hair and doesn't really do much with it, it can be boring, especially if it's not very healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree!

PrettyBrownEyes

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

, I've never heard of the show Ambush Makeover, I'm going to have to watch it. I do like to watch Makeover Story when I'm home.

I saw an episode of Makeover story where they took these two black ladies to an Aveda Hair Salon. I thought their hair looked so dry afterwards.! One of them had braid extensions before the makeover that they took out, relaxed and colored, I think they may have even done some highlights too, all at the same time.

If I went on Makeover story I'd request my own hairstylist or just tell them I'll do my own hair.

Karonica

I mean grief! If you're gonna tell me I need a makeover, at least do a good job of it! Some of those makeovers on Ambush Makeover makes you go
And then, they rush the people! While they're coloring your hair, they'll throw a cap on it while it's processing and rush you into a clothing boutique! One time, they rushed this poor lady to get some clothes while she still had the bleach on her head.
Worse of all, they got caught in traffic!

They had to let her stand on the sidewalk and make her hold her head down while they rinsed the dye outta her head with a bottle of spring water.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
What IS it with people wanting to see long haired ladies go super-short?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this situation when I was in college. I've always worn my hair shoulder length or longer, and my friends in college used to always say "Why don't you cut your hair?? Do something different!" I think it was because their hair was like ear length and never seemed to grow. They wanted me to be in the same boat they were, I think!! Unfortunately, some women can be jealous of long hair!!

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
I mean grief! If you're gonna tell me I need a makeover, at least do a good job of it! Some of those makeovers on Ambush Makeover makes you go
And then, they rush the people! While they're coloring your hair, they'll throw a cap on it while it's processing and rush you into a clothing boutique! One time, they rushed this poor lady to get some clothes while she still had the bleach on her head.

They had to let her stand on the sidewalk and make her hold her head down while they rinsed the dye outta her head with a bottle of spring water.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the worst, if they overprocessed my hair their would be some
whooping going on.

northernbelle

I have never watched "A Makeover Story" or "Ambush Makeover." However, I have watched "What Not To Wear" on The Learning Channel, and they do full wardrobe, make-up and hair makeovers on one person. The two times I have watched so far, both candidates, who were women, received major chops.

My mother is convinced that stylists, as a general rule, do not like to work with a lot of hair (i.e. long hair). It takes too much time. There could be some truth to this.

From another perspective, there is a belief that shorter hair is more youthful when a woman reaches her 30s, 40s and 50s. Of course, this varies from person to person. Additionally, depending on one's face shape and hair texture, shorter hair may be more becoming than long hair. This is my situation: given my fine hair, the longer it is, the more limp and weighted down it appears. At its longest, my hair was shoulder length, and given my hair texture and face shape (it is oblong), that was about as far in length as I could take my hair, unless I wanted to wear it up all of the time, and I did not want to wear it up all of the time.

Anyway, a different take.

northernbelle

Tebby1017

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah she was white.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured she was. Black people cut there hair, but they are much more reluctant to do so. White people tend to not care as much.

Tebby

licutiexx

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]LOL I saw that episode poor lady

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
oh my god, does anyone ever watch the talk shows when they do makeovers??

i feel so sorry for the blk women they give makeovers. its usually a white stylist that chops it off and then they try to curl it, only it comes out looking like the girl just rolled out of bed. that tossed hair look does not work on blk people of all hair textures!

I agree that these shows do a major cut for dramatic effect.

I watch Ambush Makeover and its hit or miss in terms of who really looks alot better. There was a fitness instructor with hair approx mid back who had a superb slightly angled bob done that looked stunning. It seemed longer at the front and slightly shorter at the back and she looked fantastic.

I remember only once seeeing a black woman made up who worked in some pie store and who never wore dresses. I thought her hair job was hideous. All they did was blow it out and use curling irons. It was not a make over in my opinion and the make up on her looked awful.

Its truly a case of which salon the 'victim' is taken to I think....

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]