What do Ceramides do for you?

virtuenow

Well, if you try the oil rinse method I don't think you would have to worry about the smell; especially since you co-wash after the rinse... I'm gonna check it out and see.

choctaw

Does anyone use these oils as oil rinses? I think this would be the best way to incorporate the ceramides into my routine. I already have sesame oil for my asian recipes...I don't think the conditioners w/ceramides ever did anything for my hair. I have used Nexxus for years-- since before I went natural in '05. Off to see if anyone uses the ceramide rich oils: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...-discussion/150965-dont-sleep-oil-rinses.html

lilikoi is a LHCF member with chemistry background who explained that the percentages associated with the individual oils actually referred to linoleic acid and NOT the percentage of ceramides. Check this post by lilikoi:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...-2010-ceramides-challenge-4.html#post11972450

I oil rinse frequently with a variety of oils. The oils on the ceramide list have other properties e.g. hemp seed is a good source of protein and I use a moisturizing conditioner to wash out hemp seed oil. I am no expert but I enjoy using the different oils and learning about the benefits for my hair and skin. HTH

virtuenow

Thanks! So which oils are more rich in ceramides?? How does the linoleic acid factor in in? I'm thinking it has something to do w/the penetration ability and/or the actual cermaide level!

choctaw

Thanks! So which oils are more rich in ceramides?? How does the linoleic acid factor in in? I'm thinking it has something to do w/the penetration ability and/or the actual cermaide level!

Some of the science gifted members will have to enlighten us with the linoleic factor, penetration and actual ceramides level. :grin:

Here is a copy of a list ceramide oils/products.

Safflower oil 78%
Grape seed oil 73%
Poppyseed oil 70%
Sunflower oil 68%
Hemp oil 60%
Corn oil 59%
Wheat germ oil 55%
Cottonseed oil 54%
Soybean oil 51%
Walnut oil 51%
Sesame oil 45%
Rice bran oil 39%
Pistachio oil 32.7%
Peanut oil 32% [17]
Canola oil 21%
Egg yolk 16%
Linseed oil 15%
Lard 10%
Olive oil 10%
Palm oil 10%
Cocoa butter 3%
Macadamia oil 2%
Butter 2%
Coconut oil 2%

virtuenow

Well, I just read the post, thanks Choctaw--it helps to clear some things up!

ALERT! This is really erroneous information!

Sorry to rain on the parade but we need to clarify this.

That lists refers to linoleic acid percentages, NOT CERAMIDES.

The original list appears here:

Oils Rich in Linoleic Acid

To my knowledge, there's no natural plant-based oil that contains such high percentages of ceramides as listed in the quoted thread (usual content is way less that 10%). The original poster probably found the erroneously labeled list at the long hair comunity forum (sorry,no link for this one--it's again this forum's rules. But you can look it up. The tread title is " Ceramides" in the "Mane" forum...) The poster there didn't even bother to mention a reference.

I looked up a couple of scientific papers on lipid analysis of various oils. The percentages listed are:

rice oil-- ~1% ceramide

walnut oil-- ~2.3% sphingolipids (wich are mostly but not totally composed of ceramides)

almond oil-- Looks like 22% ceramide out of 10% polar lipids in the total oil sample (90% neutral oils) which represents a correction: ignore this--->ceramide<---- sphingolipid concentration of ~2.2 % and a ceramide concentration of %60 of that for ~1.32% ceramide in the total oil amount (someone check my math):

"Lipid classes of almond oil

The analysis of oil A showed the presence of five lipid classes (Table I). Neutral lipids were found in high amounts (89.9% of total lipids) and the predominant lipid class was the triacylglycerides (84.7%) while the polar lipids represented 10.1% of total lipids. The polar lipids were found to be consisted of 22% sphingolipids and 78% phospholipids. Further analysis of sphingolipids presented two distinctive groups of which type III and type IV ceramides were 60% of total sphingolipids. In the phospholipid class the predominant phospholipid was phosphatidylethanolamine (37% of phospholipids)."

Here's the links to the original research articles:

almond: http://www.znaturforsch.com/ac/v59c/s59c0330.pdf

rice: http://www.journalarchive.jst.go.jp...ssue=3&startpage=719&lang=en&from=jnlabstract

walnut:http://www.znaturforsch.com/ac/v57c/s57c0051.pdf

P.S. beautyaddict: I know you meant well. Thanks for your intention to share this with us

choctaw

Well, I just read the post, thanks Choctaw--it helps to clear some things up!

Thanks for posting that. People seem to have good results despite the source of the percentages (linoleic acid or ceramide). Women of many cultures have oiled their hair for centuries. I love oils so any reason will do :lick:

virtuenow

Yeah I'm really discovering the full value of oils for hair. In fact, castor oil has been the best oil for me (as of late). I can't believe this oil did not make the list. It feels like it has added something to my hair and made it sronger -- just from 2-3 weeks of oil rinses. Seems like it fits the definition of ceramide...

choctaw

Yeah I'm really discovering the full value of oils for hair. In fact, castor oil has been the best oil for me (as of late). I can't believe this oil did not make the list. It feels like it has added something to my hair and made it sronger -- just from 2-3 weeks of oil rinses. Seems like it fits the definition of ceramide...

Castor oil feels so RICH in an oil rinse :drunk:

abcd09

how did u use it? did u just simply coat it on? perhaps u should do an oil rinse as i posted above
That's a good idea. I used cooking sesame, which has a strong odor to it. I went to Whole foods today and smelled the massage sesame- and that has a fragrant smell to it. I have a feeling that one doesn't work as well.

Thanks choctaw, for the info. I just bought some grapeseed and safflower oil (prepooing right now). I hope theyre still high in ceramides, despite the confusion with the percentages. *prays* I didn't buy hemp oil because I didn't see it, nor did I see rice bran oil. I hope hope hope that these are high in ceramides because I dont want to spend any more money lol

choctaw

That's a good idea. I used cooking sesame, which has a strong odor to it. I went to Whole foods today and smelled the massage sesame- and that has a fragrant smell to it. I have a feeling that one doesn't work as well.

Thanks choctaw, for the info. I just bought some grapeseed and safflower oil (prepooing right now). I hope theyre still high in ceramides, despite the confusion with the percentages. *prays* I didn't buy hemp oil because I didn't see it, nor did I see rice bran oil. I hope hope hope that these are high in ceramides because I dont want to spend any more money lol

Don't forget to check your local asian markets. Today I purchased a liter of rice bran oil at a thai grocery for $3.69. If you are near an Indian grocer, they carry the light colored sesame oil. You bought some very nice oils, congrats :yep:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Does anyone use these oils as oil rinses? I think this would be the best way to incorporate the ceramides into my routine. I already have sesame oil for my asian recipes...I don't think the conditioners w/ceramides ever did anything for my hair. I have used Nexxus for years-- since before I went natural in '05. Off to see if anyone uses the ceramide rich oils: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...-discussion/150965-dont-sleep-oil-rinses.html

Beautyaddict1913 uses rice bran oil to oil rinse :yep:

abcd09

I was wondering if ceramides has caused anyone severe tangling? Ruling out something for a problem I'm just now having.

MissMusic

I was wondering if ceramides has caused anyone severe tangling? Ruling out something for a problem I'm just now having.

I found the exact opposite to be true, I have found they aid in my detangling process. I use grapeseed, hemp, and wheat germ oils as a pre-poo (I apply to dry hair and then put on my steaming cap) and the tangles melt away.

prettybyrd

I have probably the dumbest question of all...but what about your drains? Rinsing oil down the drain seems like a no-no - how are you all avaoiding clogged drains and super slippery bathtubs?

sevetlana

I use rice bran oil to baggy my ends three times a week, sometimes instead of water I wet my ends with Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Hair Restructurizer Spray then apply the oil.
I was having crunchy ends after taking down the bun.
I have also stopped using ponytail holders when I bun I believe this helped make my ends crunchy. I now use hair pins to keep my hair in place.
The result is that my ends are smooth and my breakage has been reduced significantly..

virtuenow

I have probably the dumbest question of all...but what about your drains? Rinsing oil down the drain seems like a no-no - how are you all avaoiding clogged drains and super slippery bathtubs?

its really not much oil, did i post the link...you can see how others responded...

prettybyrd

its really not much oil, did i post the link...you can see how others responded...

I'll check out that link! I live in an apartment with old pipes and was a little concerned. I have experienced the slippery tub, but I didn't know if the oil would clog the drain. Thanks! :)

abcd09

I;m seriously wondering if safflower oil and grapeseed are making my new growth tangle. I notice most people are putting the ceramides on their ends only. Do ceramides react to the hair like proteins?

EMJazzy

Happily retired

Surprisingly wheatgerm oil *by itself* made my hair tangle horribly but when I decided to mix it with jbco I haven't had that problem since.....I use that mixture to seal my hair after I moisturize. :yep:

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

Dove56

I'm going to try some ceramides. They have been nothing short of a miracle for my dry skin (eczema/atopic dermatitis) so I'm sure it will work wonders for my hair.

Lita

oh I don't know. I guess I was hoping it would help keep breakage away. It doesn't do that. It doesn't offer much support at the line of demarcation either. My hair is smooth and I do not suffer from excessive breakage, but I don't want ANY broken strands (unrealistic I know).

What I have noticed: at around 5-6 weeks post I'd start suffering from chronically dry and crackly looking ends. I mean crunchy dry, especially when I'd take down my bun and my hair was already bent from being in the bun. When I'd finger detangle, I'd have short strand broken hairs and bent hairs.

When I started using Redken Anti-Snap (off and on since '02), the severity of this problem was alleviated slightly, but not completely. I was doing HOT w/olive oil and had good hair practices but I still had this problem.

It wasn't until I started using rice bran, meadowfoam seed, sunflower, hemp seed, and a few others that I noticed - the pliability of my hair is completely different.

Leave-ins are an option, but not necessary

I don't suffer from dry ends anymore.

I hope it helps.

My hair likes meadowfoam seed when damp/Hemp seed when wet/Rice bran soaking wet helps to detangle/Grape seed mix & use as a pre poo/poppy seed to smooth...

Happy Hair Growing!

Minty

ceramides definitely do not create tangles.

I am in testing phase with Mizani H2O and so far so good. *if anyone does decide to try this, please only a pea size, every couple of nights

I like the oils, but like Lita says they are wonderful and light on wet hair - and that's how I use them. I don't do oil rinses -

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
ceramides definitely do not create tangles.

I am in testing phase with Mizani H2O and so far so good. *if anyone does decide to try this, please only a pea size, every couple of nights

I like the oils, but like Lita says they are wonderful and light on wet hair - and that's how I use them. I don't do oil rinses -
Do you moisturize/seal the same night that use H20? If so, at what step do you use your H20. (before you moisturize, after you moisturize, etc)

LushLox

When I'm very consistent with usage my hair and new growth is very manageable even when I'm deep in a stretch, and I get shine for days. I might start using them to pre poo now.

Irresistible

Thanks for posting that. People seem to have good results despite the source of the percentages (linoleic acid or ceramide). Women of many cultures have oiled their hair for centuries. I love oils so any reason will do :lick:
ok I always wondered why I never felt I was missing anything not using these oils

it also says it prevents protein loss, thats what coconut oil is supposed to do as well. I also found out one product I use has sunflower oil, Another one, soybean oil so now I know why I never felt my hair was missing anything

Last edited:

QueenFee

Smooth out all my wild child hairs so that it all looks one length, I notice that when I apply it to wet hair I can get away with not using gel which is good since I'm trying to baby my edges. Safflower and Sunflower is whats in my mix =D

QueenFee

When I'm very consistent with usage my hair and new growth is very manageable even when I'm deep in a stretch, and I get shine for days. I might start using them to pre poo now.

I did that this past week with 10 mins under a hair dryer and boy oh boy was it the BOMB! Lol

Irresistible

oils and conditioner in the shower can be a real dangerous situation

bath mats help

Ive had no problems with oils going down my drains tho