What Did You Learn Today?

mellowmel

I'm not sure if you ladies would be interested, but, I thought that I'd put it out there anyway. I think it would be great to post what we learned that day. We go to church, fellowship, and read our Bibles on our own. I think it would be nice to come here and share what we learned on our own or through others. We all learn different things about Christ everyday and we can share what we learned because some may have never heard that message and messages are meant to be spread! So let me know what you think.

What I Learned Today: "The Pursuit of Holiness"
I went to Sunday evening service today since I worked 6-2 today and one of the students from the seminary college gave the sermon. It was very eloquent and well thought out and he's only 20!

The main scriptures were II Corinthians 6:14-18 and 7:1. Focusing on II Corinthians 7:1--- 1 Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

So what'd you learn today?

~Melanie

Last edited:

BeautifulRoots

I would be more than happy to share...The things I read about are not only for me, its for His body of people also...soo here goes.

I've been on Galatians 5:16-25
16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

I really feel like this has been on God's heart lately, at least in my life. It kind of ties into the OP's scripture to put away the things of the flesh...that means everything. Not brush off the "smaller sins" and think its fine. (they're not necessarily smaller...they're all the same in God's eyes, but as humans we size things up...ex. envy, jealousy towards others, selfish ambition...) Just repenting and asking God to cleanse us and show us how to lead lives that are truly holy. But yea, i've read this scripture passage tons of times, but this time it spoke VOLUMES. Really just think about your life and see if your still operating in the sinful nature. Ask God to cleanse you and replace it with the fruits of His spirit...

topsyturvy86

I am very interested in this. I learned that the mental picture we have of ourselves/ the frame with which we view ourselves determines how we live in the world and so we should align our mental picture of ourselves to what God thinks of us/ based on what God thinks of us. We shouldn't allow circumstances or man define us, but let God define us.

Allowing circumstances or man define us limits us and sometimes God's ability to express himself through us. Hence we usually do not live out our full potential. In Judges 6:11 onwards. Israel is being oppressed by the Midianites and the Angel of the Lord appeared to a man named Gideon and called him a mighty man of valour and told him to go in his might and save Israel from the Midianites. Gideon's reply was "O my Lord, how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house". This is something we all do from time to time and it limits us. e.g. God places a desire in your heart and the response is i'd love to but it's almost impossible for a woman/for a working class person to be successful in this line of work. Imagin if Barack defined himself the way society often does ... POTUS not achieveable for a black man, e.t.c.

In the case of Gideon and Moses (Exodus 3:11-12, 4:10-12), God said I will be with you. Because of Jesus, we have God with us at all times living within us in spirit and this is enough to overcome our shortcomings. What we have to do is find out who we are in Christ and live our lives from that perspective.