What causes a sore scalp?

Kiadodie

Hey guys, what causes sore scalps? I try to give myself head massages and sometimes it helps but my scalp is still sore and hurts. :nono:

Last edited:

Nonie

Italiano, a sore scalp could be due to manipulation, allergic reaction, skin infection, acne or due to follicular issues. Some people say it means your hair is growing but I don't buy that. To me, being sore is one way your body tells you when something is amiss.When people lose hair or go bald, the hair loss is usually accompanied by a sore or itchy scalp.

Massaging your scalp is a good idea as it encourages circulation thus bringing nutrition to your follicles and taking away toxins. If the soreness doesn't go away, seeing a dermatologist won't hurt.

lovegymnasts

For me, it means too much tension or weight, no matter how slight.
It happens when I wear a high bun too much, even when it is slack. The weight of the bun on top of my head makes it sore. I will then wear my hair down, in a loose low ponytail, a bun where it is not in a ball of hair, or a loose french braid. I just need to make sure there is no concentration of weight in one spot.
It also happens when I braid my cornrows too tight.
Basically if my scalp is sore, I need to let my hair hang loose.

sckri23

My scalp gets sore everytime I need a touch up. Now that im getting used to stretching my soreness begins right before my relaxer week is up. It doesnt effect the relaxer in anyway tho.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

sckri23 said:
My scalp gets sore everytime I need a touch up. Now that im getting used to stretching my soreness begins right before my relaxer week is up. It doesnt effect the relaxer in anyway tho.

Omg. I have the same issue. It's even worse when I'll put my hair in a bun. It would hurts soo bad that I'll just go ahead and apply the relaxer, and afterwards all the soreness is gone .

sweetome1

There are multiple causes of sore scalp but one that I can think of that no one has really mentioned is pulling your hair strands in the opposite direction of growth. As you may know some people have cowlicks or parts that seem to be "permanent" no matter how they style their hair.

This is simply the direction of which your hair is growing out of the follicle. When you move you hair in the opposite direction of the normal growth direction this can cause unnecessary stress and thus pain. But generally speaking I don't think this is very harmful to your scalp, just slightly painful/sore.

lovegymnasts

Originally Posted by sckri23

Omg. I have the same issue. It's even worse when I'll put my hair in a bun. It would hurts soo bad that I'll just go ahead and apply the relaxer, and afterwards all the soreness is gone .

I think that is because of the difficulty of dealing with the 2 textures and trying to comb through it. All that pulling and tugging people generally do.

karenjoe

@Italiano, my understanding is it comes from too much manipulation.
I haven't had a sore scalp since I stopped getting my hair pulled & pressed w a hot comb...

that was manipulation:drunk: the pulling & pulling...

...oh & I tried a weave.......:shocked:. manipulation!!!!

Last edited:

Shadiyah

a sore scalp to me has always mean that is time to wash my hair. the pores get clogged with all the oils and things that we put on our hair each day and when I used to wear my hair straight that meant washing my hair every 2 to 3 days. and if me nor my mother don't wash our hair we started getting bumps.

Kiadodie

a sore scalp to me has always mean that is time to wash my hair. the pores get clogged with all the oils and things that we put on our hair each day and when I used to wear my hair straight that meant washing my hair every 2 to 3 days. and if me nor my mother don't wash our hair we started getting bumps.

OK so I washed my hair the same night as the day I started this thread and my scalp felt SO much better after I washed it. Hmmm so maybe my pores were clogged :perplexed I'm not sure but it feels SO much better now. I know that when Im stressed I feel tension in my scalp but I havent been stressed lately so that threw me off so maybe it just needed to be washed?! I'm not sure but thanks ladies!