sore scalp

gvsugirl

Does anyone else's scalp gets sore when you've gone a while without a relaxer or just because? My scalp has been sore in spots and I dunno why. is that a good thing or bad thing?

Tammy

Well let me just say that my scalp is sore as I'm typing this message. I just got a touchup six days ago and I've got new growth pushing through already, so I'm equating my sore scalp with new growth, hair that's just itching to grow. I've also noticed this in the past as well.

myco

I don't want to cause you to panic or anything, but if this is an ongoing thing, getting your scalp checked by a dermatologist is a good idea. It would help to rule out dermatitis, psoriasis, and eczema. My mother and my sister were both diagnosed with psoriasis and they have flare ups whenever they are under stress. They don't have it anywhere else but on their scalps. It can be painful at times and can lead to severe shedding and breakage if it goes untreated.

love2praz

I second myco's advice. I had seborrheic dermatitis early last year and my scalp would get real tight and sore and dry. Under the layer of dry, dead skin, my scalp was red and sore. I went to a dermatologist in which I received medicated shampoo and oil for my scalp. In any case, I recommend that you see one to make sure that you do not have any of the above mentioned scalp/skin disorders.

God bless,
L2P

Tracy

Once you have the derm check it out also consider that depending on how curly your natural hair is, the manipulation you may be needing to do to care for the two textures as you care for your hair my be more irritating to the scalp.

Perhaps some of the pulling and tugging we do to "tame" the new growth as we wait to get a tocuh up is the problem. I know it is for me when I really wait a good amount of time for my touch up.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Once you have the derm check it out also consider that depending on how curly your natural hair is, the manipulation you may be needing to do to care for the two textures as you care for your hair my be more irritating to the scalp.

Perhaps some of the pulling and tugging we do to "tame" the new growth as we wait to get a tocuh up is the problem. I know it is for me when I really wait a good amount of time for my touch up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the same thing I was thinking too, because I also get soreness sometimes near touch up time. I wrote it off to the extra detangling I have to do for the two textures.

Kiadodie

Yes, mine gets sore when I haven't gotten a relaxer in a while. What I do is massage my scalp and that helps alot.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Tracy said:
Once you have the derm check it out also consider that depending on how curly your natural hair is, the manipulation you may be needing to do to care for the two textures as you care for your hair may be more irritating to the scalp.

I agree. My scalp is STILL sore from Saturday when I detangled my transitioning hair. :cry: I tried to be gentle and patient, but I wasn't gentle or patient ENOUGH.
Right now, my hair is in cornrows (which may be contributing to the soreness I already had!) :look:

shellzfoshizzle

balisi said:
When I had relaxed hair, wrapping it used to always make it sore.

yea wrapping makes my scalp sore (and doesn't do much to my hair for that matter either)...i wrap left side to right side and when i unwrap, the left side is sore. OT alittle, i know.

MiWay

Anybody else having issues with a sore scalp? These last few weeks, I've been having soreness on the top of my head...but it usually doesn't last for more than 3 days at a time. :perplexed My last dominican blowout was UNBEARABLE. :eek: Any ideas on what could be going on?

Jewell

My scalp gets sore when I have a lot of new growth. Usually in the crown area or at the center top of my head. Massaging with a little oil helps for me.

Honi

There is no board.
Ditto to what she said. It's just in one section on my head...the crown.

Jewell said:
My scalp gets sore when I have a lot of new growth. Usually in the crown area or at the center top of my head. Massaging with a little oil helps for me.

MiWay

Ooh, so maybe my soreness is a good thing! I was starting to get a little worried...thought I had one too many of those Dominican blowouts. :lol: I was thinking it might be from growth, but that just didn't seem logical to me. I will continue to massage my scalp, especially when it starts getting sore. Thanks ladies!

Isis

I go through cycles of scalp soreness which I know are because of new growth coming in.

You may want to check with a dermatologist, just to be sure.

MiWay

Okay, I'll go see a derm just to be sure. Don't want it turning into a serious problem...