What are some good protective hairstyles?

livesoundtech

I'm looking for some ideas for protective hairstyles. I'm not using any heat until at least January, and I'm not using chemicals at all anymore. Looking for some styles that won't be too harsh on my hair, which is pretty badly damaged already. When I leave it down, it gets really tangled and I end up spending an hour with a comb slowly detangling it every day.

Also, where can I find a hair wrap? Something like this:

I used to have something like this and I would just wrap my hair before class so that I wouldn't feel the urge to flat iron every day... but I lost it and don't know where to get another one! Do any websites sell them?

I'm on a mission to leave my hair the hell alone for a few months, and I'd like to start by using protective styles and by avoiding my frequent urges to flat iron.

Christelyn

With your length, buns are always a good bet. You can get really creative with hair accessories and such. Hey, how's your hair been anyway? I remember you were deluged with advice when you first posted--was it helpful?

Aggie

I can't see the attachment livesoundtech and I think bunning would suit you. I wear wigs on my cornrowed hair though.

livesoundtech

With your length, buns are always a good bet. You can get really creative with hair accessories and such. Hey, how's your hair been anyway? I remember you were deluged with advice when you first posted--was it helpful?

Hi!

Yes, the advice was really helpful. I found a conditioner that works really well for me (Oliva's Olive Oil and Aloe conditioner) so I've been cowashing with it 3 or 4 times per week. I also ordered WEN, but I got it online so it's taking awhile to ship.

I guess my bad habit is that I play with my hair too much. If it's in a bun, I'll be touching it and redoing it 100 times per day, causing more and more damage. If it's down, I touch it. I pretty much can't keep my hands off my hair, so I figured hiding it would be my best bet :spinning:

With the Olive Oil conditioner, I've seen a pretty drastic improvement already... but maybe it's just wishful thinking. I'm going to stick to a regimen and take pics in a month or so to compare.

Thanks for the reply!