How are you airdrying and wet bunning?

Determined22

I've finally got my regimen down, and now I want to leave all heat alone and just airdry exclusively. I haven't been doing it because I would get major shrinkage, especially my NG, and my ends would be dry. Any suggestions on how to airdry without the shrinkage and dry ends?

Also, I noticed that some ladies are wetbunning - how are you doing that/what are you using to hold your hair? I had a breakage problem a couple years ago from putting my wet hair in a ponytail, and I don't want to suffer the same fate.

Thanks ladies!

I've finally got my regimen down, and now I want to leave all heat alone and just airdry exclusively. I haven't been doing it because I would get major shrinkage, especially my NG, and my ends would be dry. Any suggestions on how to airdry without the shrinkage and dry ends?

Also, I noticed that some ladies are wetbunning - how are you doing that/what are you using to hold your hair? I had a breakage problem a couple years ago from putting my wet hair in a ponytail, and I don't want to suffer the same fate.

Thanks ladies!

Yes, the wet bun can (and will) cause breakage if done too often.

Thanks ladies!

I airdry exclusively as well. I will share with you the technique that works for me:

*I airdry with a cream leave in conditioner that focuses on giving MOISTURE to the hair and seal w/ a small amount of oil or honey (dime sized amt).
*Once I've put those two things on my hair, I comb though/detangle with a shampoo comb.
*Then I can do an airdry rollerset with whatever size rollers I choose (depending on how loose or tight a curl that I want) or:
  • Comb all hair to the back, tie do rag around top of my head (it will dry straighter and flatter this way), and leave the ends out or braid them in one or two braids
*Once my hair is dry, I apply my daily moisturizer-focusing on the ends, seal with a little oil, and style as I wish (which is usually up in a protective hair style)

HTH! If you have any questions feel free to PM me!:grin:

I don't bun per se.
I pin my ends up with
bobby pins, it ends up looking like
a bun though...
yeah... don't use elastic on wet hair
it's bad news...
just get really creative with clips & bobby pins.

I bun, with no damage. I use one of those ouchless all cloth bands, and I don't wrap it around as many times as I would with a dry ponytail..I leave it loose, like almost loose enough to fall out...then twist the hair into the bun and tuck the edges into the band. My ng dries pretty straight because its pulled back..

After washing I wrap my head in a big towel and go about life. Then I take the towel down (point is to wait until its no longer dripping wet), then I spray with an Aveda Brilliant and water leave in mix and then castor oil (not too much) throughout my whole head. Then I do Serenity Breeze's low bun using a very small clip (the same baggy bun without the bag). Causes no tension and protects my ends. I do this regardless of the type of bun or butterfly clip style I choose. This is great because most of the hair is already dry except the ends which causes little to no tension on the edges. HTH!

Easiest way for me to airdry is:

1. squeeze dry and apply creamy leave in (nexxus headress or giovanni direct)

2. apply oil to ends (last 2 or 3 inches only using castor or jojoba or mix of both). If I put oil on entire hair while damp, it takes FOREVER to dry, so I oil only the ends which dries pretty fast even with the added oil

3. part hair in middle front (my normal "style" but do with no part, side part, whatever)

4. fingercomb hair gently so it hangs back over shoulders (this is my first detangling and I take my time, fingercombing in sections add more leave-in or oil to ends if necessary)

5. let loose hanging hair airdry about 70-80% with microfiber towel around shoulders (it takes about 2 hours)

6. apply sealing oil thruout, gently fingercombing (I'm currently love emu oil for this!)

7. comb with wide tooth comb and put into low ponytail with satin scunci. I can usually skip this step the first 6 weeks post touchup becuase new growth not yet manifesting so don't need the extra ponytail tension to help straighten new growth and I just put a roller in really snug without the pony.

8. put ponytail ends into one large magnetic roller.

9. tie hair down snugly with satin scarf and allow to dry completely (usually 1.5 to 2 hours, if I don't add sealing oil, it dries completely in like 30 minutes, but I love the way my hair retains moisture when I add oil at this point and its worth the extra dry time)

10. beautiful bounce with newgrowth laying flat and ends nice and smooth with lots of moisture and sheen. I dry like this up to 3 or 4 months post touchup with great success.

Lose very little hair, much less then when I would detangle in shower or with condish or with leave-ins -- I lost so much hair that way even though lots of LHCF members get good results, by trial and error, I discovered best for me to not manipulate wet or damp hair, so I quit doing all that and don't let comb touch my hair until its at least 70% dry and its like butter, way easier and with very little hair loss. Best just to use fingers until almost dry, THEN use comb, waaay less hair loss.

I can wear hair hanging out nice and bouncy all week by sleeping with one magnetic roller low in back and tie with satin scarf.

If I want super bone staight results, I use a rat tail comb to do a full rollerset with large magnetic rollers after creamy leave in and let airdry until 100% (this takes all day, like 7 to 9 hours!). After removing rollers, add oils and serum. I don't do this alot cuz it takes so dang long to dry and I lose more hair in comb this way manipulating damp hair with small tooth comb but it DOES get hair super bone straight! I do this every once in a while for special occasions.

Haven't touched heat in years . . .

Last edited:
Back