weekly pressing without damage

atl_mulattamami

is it possible to press the hair weekly or every other week without damage? when i was relaxed i would wash and blowdry my hair DAILY and my hair was always BSL or longer (i did not suffer from dry, brittle hair until i colored it)

i want to press my hair more in the winter time but i dont want to have excessive damage. if i used this regimine would it work?:

1)wash with moisturizing shampoo
2)deep condition with heat for one hour
3)add leave in conditioner
4)set hair in braids or twists to dry 75%
5)blow dry hair, on low setting, until completely dry
6)apply a heat protector as i flat iron, on a medium setting, in sections
7)wrap hair with silk scarf at night to maintain the style
8)daily add in some of the leave in conditioner to keep the moisture

like i said i want to wear straight styles more often this winter but i dont want to deal with the damage and especially since im natural now i dont want my curls to revert.

Last edited:

kitchen_tician

Yes, I of course think it's possible, but make sure your hair is healthy and strong enough to withstand the heat. I think every 2 weeks is fine. Every week is too much heat for my hair, but I normally use heat every 2 weeks in the cooler months.

Be careful using a water based moisturizer daily, because it may make the hair revert quicker, but if you don't mind it being a little poofy, that's fine.

BTW, your hair looks very healthy and beautiful. You may want to even try rollersetting on larger rollers to straighten the hair.

Last edited:

atl_mulattamami

thank you so much for the quick response. yea i got to thinking about it and every two weeks would be better. what kind of moisturizer would you suggest if not a water based one? i thought about doing rollersets but i have no idea how to do them...

also thanks for the compliment!:)

Last edited:

Tru_Mind

Hi Cookie!

This sounds like what I do...for now, because I don't plan to use heat often in the future. Only I don't braid...but I do air-dry. Also, if my hair gets dry during the week I use a tiny amount(one drop) of hair oil.

Just be sure to pay attention to what you hair is during when you're using heat. Also, be sure to always deep condition before you use heat and after you have used heat...even if you plan to wear your hair natural.

-tru

atl_mulattamami

do you think Hot Six Oil would work as my oil? i currently use it for my hot oil treatments but i never used it for pressing my hair

Cxshortie

This is basically the same process i have been using since February with little breakage. It was a big step from me since before I found this board I was applying heat to my hair once a day.

When I self roller set that never helped straighten my hair so I either had it done professionally or just did the braids, airdry and then low heat on the blow dryer if needed.

Tru_Mind

I don't know...I've never ever tried Hot Six Oil. :) Of course I use WGHO...only.:lol: I have learned my lesson.

BTW...I also soak my wet/rinsed hair with olive oil for 1-3 hours before I wash.

-tru

Diane71

I think pressing your hair weekly is too much. I use to press my hair once per month and it dried my hair out and the press did'nt last long at all. If I had a choice, I would blow dry my hair than press it. Over time pressing can thin your hair out and cause it to become dry and brittle if you don't do it right. I prefer to braid my hair up and leave it alone to get the most hair growth and healthiest head of hair possible.

done with all my own hair, no extensions..healthier.
Next touchup: September 5th, 2005 (8 wks post)
Ultimate hair goal: 5 inches past brastrap by Dec. 2005..
might exceed that goal!!!!

Lucia

The ladies have given you some good tips I think 1/week is too much too. Besides deep conds trimming you may need to trimm more often b/c of the heat.
You may want to skip the blow drying part if you're going to use a brush an blow it straight by pulling that's worse than the actual pressing. let your hair airdry more then use one of the better quality ceramics out there. I prefer Maxiglide but some on the board have used it and don't care fo it burt it uses steam heat and works faster if you have alot of thick hair.