WASHING HAIR

laurend085

I posted this on another forum and realized these are things I still do..Is this harmful to my hair/growth?

Mix water/grease on a hair brush to make my hair lay down

-Squirt Motions foam wrap setting lotion on my hair to make it lay down

I've always believed that AA's can only wash their hair 1x at the most a week/2 weeks- For the most part I only get my hair washed when I go to the salon every 4-8 weeks. I'm afraid of the poofiness/manageability after I wash it. Also I know that it's time for my hair to be washed after 2 weeks. But I see yall washing or conditioning your hair every other day sometimes.

-Not wanting to get in the pool for fear of messin up my hair

poookie

it depends. if these methods have been working for you, and you have the healthy hair to prove it, then they're fine. but if your hair is damaged, then yes, they are harming your hair. most people on this board do not use grease on their hair, and most do not use bristle brushes on the length of our hair (maybe sparingly to smooth down the edges).

but i see you're a newbie (welcome, by the way!! :wave:), and the longer you stick around here, the more you'll become accustomed to the fact that many of us wash our hair much more often than 1x per week :yep:

Diva_Esq

You have to figure out what works for YOUR individual hair type. I don't use "grease." I only use a foam wrap (Mizani) when I am rollersetting or doing a twistout to define/ hold the curls/ waves. During my wet bun week, I co-wash my hair daily. During the week that I flat iron or rollerset, I wash it once that week. After swimming, I wash the chlorine from my hair very thoroughly and make sure that I deep condition my hair. I don't avoid any activity in life b/c of my hair.

HTH! :) We're all learning and breaking down what we were possibly incorrectly taught about "our" hair. :)

ceecy29

Like others have said, you have to listen to your hair.

RE: washing hair frequently. The belief is that a clean scalp promotes healthy hair growth. I personally believe this to be true.

Esq.2B

Some people wash and co-wash frequently but there have been a few polls taken on this forum which shows that most members wash 1x per week. If you had to pick a number, I'd say start with that frequency (wash 1x per week and deep condition), then see how your hair responds, and adjust according to your hair's response.