Wash, Deep Condition at Home -Salon for Set Only

I am going to try something new. Since I really enjoy all of my products and know what works best for my hair. I am going to wash my own hair, deep condition it with my products, and prep it for setting with my own leave ins, put a plastic cap on my head and go to the salon for a set only.

When I get out of the dryer, I will only let them take out the rollers and head home for styling. When I get home, I may flat iron only the roots using my chi flat iron and silk infusion heat protectant. (I am thinking of stretching for six months and doing this weekly.)

It will cost only $20 for them to set me an put me under the dryer. What do you think ladies? Anyone else do this? I am kinda excited because I wont have to really part thru all of the new growth and when I get to the stylist's chair for setting my products will have made the hair very managable.

I tried to suggest this to my stylist once and she said that she wasnt allowed to do it because of some Texas law or something like that.:perplexed

It didnt really matter because I just kept practicing and I finally got the hang of doing my own sets.

But Serenity, that is really a good idea, though.:)

I tried several times to do this in Ohio and I was always told that it was state law that said they had to wash it first. Then I had a stylist snap at me, "This ain't no barber shop."

I do this (I've been doing it a lot lately). I'll do my wash at home, put the condish in, get ready to go and have the stylist rinse or I rinse and put the leave in and oils in. So all the assistant has to do is rewet my hair with water and roll. It saves so much time, in and out.:)

I even take my Denman brush :)

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is as you stretch longer and longer the stylist may "complain" about the new growth and urge you to get a relaxer touch-up.

SerenityBreeze said:
I am going to try something new. Since I really enjoy all of my products and know what works best for my hair. I am going to wash my own hair, deep condition it with my products, and prep it for setting with my own leave ins, put a plastic cap on my head and go to the salon for a set only.

When I get out of the dryer, I will only let them take out the rollers and head home for styling. When I get home, I may flat iron only the roots using my chi flat iron and silk infusion heat protectant. (I am thinking of stretching for six months and doing this weekly.)

It will cost only $20 for them to set me an put me under the dryer. What do you think ladies? Anyone else do this? I am kinda excited because I wont have to really part thru all of the new growth and when I get to the stylist's chair for setting my products will have made the hair very managable.

I do this. :yep:

It's funny that you mentioned this...I wanted my stylist to cut my hair (this past Thrusdaty) and since I KNOW she hates detangling my hair after washing (which I think tends to make her a little rough...although, I get frustrated too sometimes) I came to the salon with my detangling brush (Denman) and after she washed me I detangled and butter my own hair. She started to blowdry it, but she said she could cut it damp.

I wasn't very happy about the trim (she didn't take off enough...she hates getting rid of length) but it's great that she's willing to work with me...she also listens to me about what I WANT done to my hair. :) She also told me that she would teach me to cornrow my own hair...for when I graduate from college :)

SerenityBreeze said:

That's the only way I do it. I have great products that work well for me, and I only need a stylist's expertise in rollersetting my hair. It only costs $15.95 at my local perfect look. Besides asking them do pamper my hair the way I do would cost a lot more considering how I deep condition, etc.

I also just walk out with the curls intact, and I use my own moisturiser when I get home. The only time I get the whole 'kit and kaboodle' is when I get my retouch done.

cmw45 said:
It's funny that you mentioned this...I wanted my stylist to cut my hair (this past Thrusdaty) and since I KNOW she hates detangling my hair after washing (which I think tends to make her a little rough...although, I get frustrated too sometimes) I came to the salon with my detangling brush (Denman) and after she washed me I detangled and butter my own hair. She started to blowdry it, but she said she could cut it damp.

I wasn't very happy about the trim (she didn't take off enough...she hates getting rid of length) but it's great that she's willing to work with me...she also listens to me about what I WANT done to my hair. :) She also told me that she would teach me to cornrow my own hair...for when I graduate from college :)

:lol: I wish my stylist would have this problem.

shunta said:
I tried to suggest this to my stylist once and she said that she wasnt allowed to do it because of some Texas law or something like that.:perplexed

I've never heard that...my stylist lets me do it all the time.

I think this is a great idea Serenity! You save money and keep your hair in perfect condition. :)

Thanks for the support ladies! I will keep you posted on how it turns out. So far, I have already been quoted on the price and advised that it would not be a problem. So we will see!

SerenityBreeze said:

you are on to something sweetie! this is what I plan on doing. May I ask how you like the FHI iron? I just saw on a site, the web address escapes me at the moment, where they raved about the FHI hot sauce heat protectant. Do you like the results you get when using your FHI iron?

thanks in advance,
tishee

Slighty off topic as I am natural but I used to do something similar. I would wash my hair at home and apply my conditioner beforehand before I got to the hairdressers. That way my hair was deep conditioned for at least an hour or two. The hairdresser would just rinse, blow-dry (I'm now heat free) and cornrow my hair.

My former hairdresser also said she could not do it. I only mentioned it b/c I wanted to help her out b/c she had to leave. She also said it was about state laws, and she could not chance it since they have "secret shoppers" as auditors.

I think this is a great idea, if they will allow it. I can see some stylists getting real STANK! You wanna mess with their $$.

SerenityBreeze said:

Hey there..why dont u get a sit under dryer that way u dont have to go at all

I do this all the time. My stylist never washes or conditions my hair. She just rollersets or flat iron if I wish.

Caramelle,
I've thought along those lines,
and came to the realization I'll just go for a touch-up and trim ---
the rest is up to me which is working out fine.:)

Serenity, that's a good idea. I rollerset my own hair, but my arms get tired and I don't go as fast as stylists do.

Also, since you'll condition at home, you won't have to worry about sitting under the dryer after it shut off, waiting for your stylist to finish up with someone else, then rinse your conditioner out.

Back