Waist Length Challenge 2015

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
I really need to be in this challenge. My hair has stalled at the same length for about a year. I know it is because I have not been consistent with anything hair related. I wore a couple of sew-ins last year and while I did not lose any hair my hair did not increase in length. My goal is to surpass waist length by the end of this year.

New Regimen:

Relax Every 10 -- 12 weeks
Deep Condition Weekly
Sulfur Oil growth aides
Co Wash 1 - 2 times per week

ETA: Starting PIC

Last edited:

caliscurls

I'm scared to try the split ender, does hair have to be bone straight to use it?

sgold04 no just fairly straight and thoroughly detangled. You have to do it in small sections as well kind of like you're flat ironing. Not doing these things will result in your hair feeling like its getting ripped out or the device not going all the way through. I've had mine for several years now and love it.

ImanAdero

I think I'm going to get my hair done in Senegalese twists soon.

I'm kinda over my own hair...

Or maybe I'll have my Braider so a style with my own hair... That may be better.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I have a question, does anyone still use the search and destroy method for splits?
I do but I can't be trusted with scissors so I am not trimming at all until June. ---

Off to today's story.... Wednesday I had a massive hair drama soap opera show going on at my house.

I deep conditioned my hair. Lately I have been finger combing only. I've decided that is a no no for my fine hair. I rinsed that conditioner and did an acv rinse. Next thing I know as I'm applying my styling prods my hair knarled and tangled up...the styler beaded up on my hair and turned into those white balls...ugh!!!

I had to get back in the shower, wash my hair with shampoo to remove what I can only assume is product build up...and then run the rake through my hair.

OMG....two months of finger combed only "left behind" shed hair came out. It looked like I was going bald!!! I was hot! And late for work!!!

Eventually I got it under control and my hair was smooth and shiny like glass afterwards.

Lesson learned. I have to comb my hair at least once or twice a month. Finger combing is not an exclusive deal for me.

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Nothing new to report. I think i am going to trim off about an inch. I am still consistently drinking my protein shakes, vitamins, MN, and sulfur.

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4 using LHCF

Joigirl

Its gonna take a miracle for me to get to WL this year

You are not alone. I am getting the itch to get a Deva cut. I hate this tail in the back! My hair looks fine from the front, but the back has shelf-like layering going on.

krissyhair

You are not alone. I am getting the itch to get a Deva cut. I hate this tail in the back! My hair looks fine from the front, but the back has shelf-like layering going on.

No! Don't cut it! I had the "shelf" and got it cut off. But the part in the back still hangs. It's the shape of the head! You'll see when you cut it how short in inches that part is compared to the rest of the hair. When I had the "shelf" it was really all the same length.

Joigirl

No! Don't cut it! I had the "shelf" and got it cut off. But the part in the back still hangs. It's the shape of the head! You'll see when you cut it how short in inches that part is compared to the rest of the hair. When I had the "shelf" it was really all the same length.

I just can't seem to get it to hang properly. It would probably look better if I could braid to my scalp or flat twist...guess I just have to get through this phase.

ezina

I just got a sew-in installed a few days ago. I feel a little better. Dealing with my natural hair lately was driving me nuts. I'm keeping the sew-in in until the end of April/beginning of May, and after that, I think I'm going to lay off weave (as a protective style) for good. I really need to get to know my hair better.

caliscurls

Did a curlformer set Friday and have had my hair up since then in a bun, no moisturizing and sealing has been needed. Tonight I might go ahead and do it just in case though.

angelhairtype4

How often do you trim and/or dust? Why? Do you retain more with dusts/trims or when you don't cut at all?

Once at the beginning or ending of the year I will do a serious trim. In between I randomly do search and destroy. Depends if I notice fairy knots or split ends.

I'm not sure whether that helps or hurts my length. In the end I'd be upset if I reached my goal length then have to find I have to get inches trimmed due to health.

caliscurls

Question of the Week: How often do you trim and/or dust? Why? Do you retain more with dusts/trims or when you don't cut at all?

Usually every 10-12 weeks I dust. Right now I'm in a no cut challenge though so I'm trying to hold off until April. Dusting helps to keep my ends healthy and aids in retention however now that my hair is exceptionally healthy I think 10-12 weeks might be too often. Not dusting on some kind of regular basis results in less retention in the long term for me.

As I write this I'm realizing that a March dust might be the best course of action.....we'll see. The last time I did it was 14 weeks ago.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Froreal3 I trim once or twice a year. That is the only way to retain length for me. Frequent trimming helps keep my ends thick, but that's about it. This year instead of getting one big trim I plan on dusting my ends every 3 months. I'll let you know how that goes.

ImanAdero

I trim about every 6 months. I search and destroy, but in thinking of changing my approach. I don't seem to be retaining as much as I'd like and it's probably because I go too ing in between trims.

Joigirl

I trim about half an inch every six months. I search and destroy single strand knots in between my trims. I have noticed that the number of SSKs lessens when I don't do too many WNGs in a row and when I avoid that darn denman brush. Lesson learned the hard way.

Last edited:

sgold04

Question of the Week: How often do you trim and/or dust? Why? Do you retain more with dusts/trims or when you don't cut at all?

I trim twice a year, usually when I straighten it. Trimming less frequently is the main reason I have retained a lot in the past couple years. I S&D every once in a while, maybe every 3 months, I don't do it frequently, BUT when styling my hair, if I come across an ssk or split end, I cut it. I only get split ends when I straighten my hair. If my ends feel raggedy, but I don't see split ends or thin ends, then I just baby them, or get a long term protective style so I don't have the urge to cut them (I have crochet braids in Havana twists right now, I plan on having crochet braids until mid-May).