AmilLion

Okay ladies, I started with my vitamin regimen about 2 weeks ago. I take

Biotin 5mg x1
MSM 1500mg x1
Silica 500mg x1
NourishHair x2
Evening Primrose Oil 500mg x2
Flaxseed Oil 500mg x1

What I would like to know, if there's anyone using a similiar regimen and if so, how long did it take before you saw results? Reason why I ask this, I noticed, maybe I'm losing it, but my hair grew 1/4 to almost 1/2 since my last wash & set which was Wednesday. Is this normal? Am I taking too much?

Hi Amilion,

My hair has grown more but I don't know which supp is doing it. I've increased my dosage in the past 3 weeks and just added GNC this week. Also I've upped my Biotin. My current daily supps:

Biotin: 3000
MSM (powder): approx 2000
GNC Ulta Nourishair: x 2 (which contains additional biotin and MSM)
Panthatonic(sp?)Acid B5: 1000
Iron supp
Flaxseed Oil: 1 teaspoon daily

So I'm not sure what's done the hairgrowth but I think its the MSM and or biotin as those are what I'd been using from day one (approx 5 months ago). The others I begun adding a month or so later. The GNC & B5 are the latest additions.

From what I understand, it takes a good month or so before you start to notice any difference, depending on how depleted an individual's body is already so it varies.

ps. Just replied to your rollar setting advice. Its excellent /images/graemlins/wink.gif

notsomebody

I think it really depends on the person. I started out on Bargello's routine. Three weeks later I had an inch of new growth. What was odd was it seemed like I went to bed one night and woke up with an inch of soft shiny newgrowth. I knew it didn't happen overnight, but that is what it seemed like. I think when you first start a vitamin regimen, you have a growth spurt. Because suddenly, your body has everything it needs and can stop stealing nutrients from your hair and nails. The only reason I was able to say it was a spurt was because the week leading up to it , my scalp felt really sensitive and it itched a lot even though I couldn't see any dandruff.

Once your body adjusts to it the growth is more subtle, but also very consistent. From the list of things you are taking I would say that it is the biotin and nourishair that is responsible for the growth. MSM is really good for cutting back the shedding. The two oils you are taking would be responsible for making your hair softer.
That's my guess. If anyone disagrees please enlighten me.

A

AmilLion

Notsomebody: I think it really depends on the person. I started out on Bargello's routine. Three weeks later I had an inch of new growth. What was odd was it seemed like I went to bed one night and woke up with an inch of soft shiny newgrowth. I knew it didn't happen overnight, but that is what it seemed like...my scalp felt really sensitive and it itched a lot even though I couldn't see any dandruff."

OMG, funny you say that because the same thing happened with me. My scalp was itching like crazy that Tuesday, and I thought it was the condition wash from Monday and the week prior it was itching some. So had a wash & set done the next day, Wednesday and my roots were pretty straight and then suddenly, it started to feel really lumpy running my hand over my hair and thick at the roots by Friday. Usually wrapping straightens out my roots, but it was a little uncontrollable this time around.

Thank you for the advice brownrelaxedhair and notsomebody.

P.S. Hope it helps brownrelaxedhair (the roller setting advice) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

notsomebody, I have to agree about the itching thing. I've noticed that I get that too and its not dandruff or a dirty scalp/hair.

I've started to attribute it to the hair growth thing kicking in. Especially now reading that you both have noticed this too. Same thing as me! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

notsomebody

You may also notice that your scalp is a little on the tender side before your growth spurt happens. I had both the tenderness and the itchiness. The tenderness worried me at first until I read about someone having a similar thing happen to them on one of the older boards.

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
You may also notice that your scalp is a little on the tender side before your growth spurt happens. I had both the tenderness and the itchiness. The tenderness worried me at first until I read about someone having a similar thing happen to them on one of the older boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notsomebody, I too experienced the tenderness on some areas also and I know it wasn't from styling as I don't mess with my hair like that. It makes sense come to think of it now. I'm due for a touch up one I take these braids (without extensions) down.

notsomebody

When it first happened it really scared me. I was trying to find a dermatologist to make an appointment. I was sure that I had done something that was going to cause all of my hair to fall out. Especially when the itching wouldn't start. But, when I realized what it was, I started expecting it every month. Of course after the first time, those signs were a lot more subtle.