vitamins

Nikki

I'm pretty much new to this sight! and I know several of you ladies are taking supplements to promote hair growth/density... In hair school my teacher said that once you start taking supplements and you eventually stop,, Your hair can relapse... I am very interested in knowing if this is true or not.. I would like to hear the up side and the down side if there is one.. Quite frankly, I was thinking about maybe trying them to see if they work for me.. What is the top of the line,,, QUALITY,,, Money is not really an issue.. Thanks in advance. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

ngaa

firstly lemme say welcome to the group Nikki /images/graemlins/wave.gif

now about hair goin into relapse jus coz u stop takin the supplements sounds a bit /images/graemlins/nuts.gif coz yo hair grows with or without these vitamins and wud only grow slower if it wasnt gettin the nutrients that it wanted and i dont see why it wud go into relapse after stoppin the vitamins unless its relative to how soft and shiny yo hair wa b4 and then it goes from that to virtually no growth at all /images/graemlins/smile.gif ...personally i havent noticed this happenin since stoppin my perfectil (not enuff amount of the nutrients that r supposed to aid in hair growth /images/graemlins/mad.gif ) neway, here is a good site you cud try

http://www.fasterhairgrowth.com/

ngaa hth /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Armyqt

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
ngaa said:
now about hair goin into relapse jus coz u stop takin the supplements sounds a bit

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl you are off the chain! I'm dying laughing over here and thinking the same thing.

Hi Nikki. First off let me say this. I don't know exactly what she meant by your hair going into relapse (my sides are hurting from laughing so hard), but I do know that some people will let anything fly out of their mouth. If she made that statement, then she should have explained what she meant by that. As far as what I know, hair is dead protein. Once it emerges from the scalp no amount of vitamins can alter it's structure. If you don't take care of your hair, it will dry up and break. Maybe this is what she means by relapse. However, it's not the vitamins alone that keep your hair in good shape. It's how you care for your hair. Vitamins do indeed aid in speeding up the growth process, adding thickness and shine etc. However, if you stopped taking them and continued to care for your hair, it would continue to be healthy. I know this from personal experience. Whenever I take vitamins, my hair grows faster. When I don't, it's still healthy, but grows at a slower rate. I hope that clears some things up for you. Also, if you do a search on Bargello vitamin regime, there is a wealth of info on which vitamins are responsible for doing what. HTH and welcome to the board.

ngaa

i thot i was the one not readin it properly!! i thot W.T.F?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif first time i read that too

adrienne0914

welcome, nikki! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i'd like some clarification as well... relapse to what? like armyqt said, i think they can make your growth rate increase or decrease when not taking them (and that's for some people). i also think that if i stopped taking the B5, my hair would start growing in thinner like it was. i don't plan to find out though. lol!

beyond those two things, i don't know what she could mean...

adrienne

Nikki

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question, but obviously I (also) was not too clear myself about the true statement about that comment...which is why I posted that question in the first place....so I can get feedback to all of you vit. takers...on the pros and cons of the supplement(s).. But maybe I wasn't clear,,, when I said relapse I did not mean that if you stop taking them your hair is gonna fall out or something (so please don't freak out on me)....Of course we know you take the vit., you experience progress, but lets say I decide to stop taking them, what is the downside if there is one, if not, cool! but i am interested in taking them that's why i am so very interested in knowing "all" the facts.. I can't just put something in my body without knowing anything,,, I am really serious about this, but if I gave you a laugh, It's on me.. (I really did not see what's so funny, no offense taken) But thank you NGAA for the website.. I'm going to look @ it now...
Chow...

Armyqt

Nikki, hon, there was no malice at all intended in my reply to your post. I laughed, but not at your expense. I applaud you for further investigating information that was given to you. I just never heard about "hair going into relapse". I hope that my response answered your question. Good luck in your hair journey.

Nikki

Armyqt,Girl please, it's all right,, I'm alright..It is really not that serious.. and thanks for the feed back..
Chow..

Tara

Ola! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You know you asked a lot of great questions. First I want to recommend a book that was a good "starter" Earl Mindell's Vitamin Bible, I think he has an updated version and it's a great read to help learn about vitamins.

As for vitamin brands,there are a lot of brands that people like and have recommended on this board and they are:

Puritan's Pride for Biotin (they take five 1000 mcg per day)

Kal for Silica it's called Super Silica Plus

Natrol for Silica, I personally went through two bottles of this and didn't really see anything great

I love TWINLABS for my B-Complex and my B-5 (B-5 increases the thickness of your hair strands, as in it actually grows in thicker.)

Also Solgar usually has quality vitamins as well.

I know that if you stop taking the vitamins I think your hair will go back to being how it was. So if taking vitamins increased your growth rate, I think if you stopped, your growth rate would slow down to what it was before vitamins, so you asked some great questions.

Another great supplement is MSM and for many it has increased growth spurts, here is a LINK TO A THREAD about the brands of MSM that people liked. Also here is another MSM Review thread from users on the board.

The Downsides of MSM have been headaches, and acne. The upside has been growth spurts in hair and nails. Also some women complain that with certain B vitamins (Biotin I believe it was) their periods become irregular, although I have not experienced this myself.

Below are some links to the places to purchase vitamins on line.

Link to Puritan's Pride

The link to the Vitamin Shoppe

I know I gave a loooong post, so I hope you don't mind, but I wanted to answer your questions to the best of my ability and I'm sure others have more to add.

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask us.

HTH (hope that helped)and WELCOME!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tara

Tara

p.s. keep a look out on the board, because as I find other threads about the Biotin and and B-5, I'll bump them up for you.

ngaa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Nikki said:
But maybe I wasn't clear,,, when I said relapse I did not mean that if you stop taking them your hair is gonna fall out or something (so please don't freak out on me) I am really serious about this, but if I gave you a laugh, It's on me.. (I really did not see what's so funny, no offense taken)

[/ QUOTE ]
by no means did i mean to offend you by laughin and i am really sorry if i did but like others i thot u meant relapse as in hair dont grow or hair falls out sorry /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ] thank you NGAA for the website.. I'm going to look @ it now...

[/ QUOTE ] your welcome hun
/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

JenJen2721

/images/graemlins/confused.gifRegarding hair relapsing once ceasing vitamins...

I have a question.. I've been taking a Hair, Skin and Nails vitamin by Solary, it doesn't have a lot of stuff in it, but does have 1000mg (or mcgs?) of MSM. I stopped taking this about 4 days ago because I left the bottle at work. I noticed more shedding over the past few days too. Is this related to ceasing the MSM since MSM extends the growth phase? I've also been under a lot of stress too, so I'm not sure if it's the stress. Any ideas/feedback/poss. explanations?
Thx in advance,
Jen

Tara

How long have you been taking the HS&amp;N vitamins?

I've taken MSM for 3 months and then totally stopped and didn't experience shedding. MSM is not "technically" a "hair" supplement. It's actually beneficial to people who have joint pain and issues of that sort as it relieves and gets rid of the the pain. The side effect of MSM is faster and better hair growth (meaning stronger etc.) and nails.

In my experience stopping any of my vitamins hasn't caused shedding. However, if it continues I would always run everything by your doctor /images/graemlins/smile.gif

JenJen2721

Thanks Tara,
I've been taking the HSN vitamins for about 2 months now. I think it is probably the stress, my hair's not shedding excessively, just more than usual.
/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Jen

Valerie

What I find, that why I stop taking my vitamins, my hair grows well for another month or so, then, it starts to grow more slowly and I find, it breaks and eventually, it grow much more thinner. I once stopped taking vitamins for 10 years and I really noticed how my hair was. I stick to twice a day, sometimes, I take my vitamins only once, just to maintain the overall strength and health. /images/graemlins/cool.gif