Vitamin Challenge 2013

SincerelyBeautiful

pelohello said:
Morning Ladies!!

Today I plan on buying some Silica. Do any of you ladies take Silica in the liquid form? I'm hoping they have it at Target. I plan on checking there website now. If not I'll get it from GNC.

Dont forget to take your vitamins! :)

I have not taken this but I am curious to see what it's about. Target has everything man lol. I really need to go make a target run which is an hour away. I wanna see what all they have for me to stock up on!

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

DominicanBrazilian82

walkerca said:
I would like to join. I've been a member of LHCF for some time, but mostly I've lurked. I have decided to actually join a challenge and since I was planning to do my own vitamin challenge before I came across this thread, I'd love to have and give some support!

Currently I'm taking:
Viviscal 2x's/day
Walmart hair, skin, nails 2x's/day
Glucosamine (for my knees)
MSM 1000mg 2x's/day
Silica--I have both the horsetail and the bamboo. I bought the horsetail first and when I read about the bamboo being better, I bought that.

Starting Jan 1, I'll be taking the everything as above, except for the silica. I will be taking 700mg Bamboo extract silica once a day. Thanks and I'm looking forward to this. BTW, where can I get a hair length shirt that I see many of the women wearing in these pictures? I want one :yep:

I'll post my starting picture by Dec, I promise!!

Where'd you get your 700 mg Bamboo? I'm taking Soloray brand 300 mg and was looking online for a higher mg content...

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

AllyMD

DominicanBrazilian82 said:
Where'd you get your 700 mg Bamboo? I'm taking Soloray brand 300 mg and was looking online for a higher mg content...

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I got it from eBay. He is a supplier from GB. Last time I looked on eBay, he was still selling the higher dose capsules. If you can't find him, let me know and I'll look for his info for ya.

hola_lo2002

Ok!! I'm officially switching from Hairfinity to Viviscal as of today!!! I'll be taking Viviscal 2xday for the next 3 months :)

Aireen

My Supplements:

- 1 Viviscal Tablet
- 2 MSM pills (1000 mcg/pill)
- 1 HSN vitamin by GNC
- 1 Omega-3 pill
- 1 Biotin pill (1000 mcg)
- 1 tablespoon of liquid Silica

^ A lot, I know. If anything changes, I'll update.

UPDATE: HSN vitamin by GNC is going to be finished today as well as the silica. I will be repurchasing the silica but not the HSN, I'm replacing it with Jamieson Prenatal since it's already in the house.

SincerelyBeautiful

Co washed last nite with my staple of VO5 moisture milks in strawberries and cream. That stuffs smells so tasty lol. After cowashing I let air dry till 80% dry then I began to moisturize and seal. Put on my satin scarf and bonnet on top and off to bed I went. Woke up and put my hair up in a very loose and sloppy bun but it's up and out the way with the ends tucked. I really like the way my hair feels right now. All soft and cool to the touch!! Very moisturized indeed :)

SincerelyBeautiful

hola_lo2002 said:
Ok!! I'm officially switching from Hairfinity to Viviscal as of today!!! I'll be taking Viviscal 2xday for the next 3 months :)

Why are you switching if you don't mind me asking?? I also take hairfinity but if there is something better I may jump on that bandwagon!

Guinan

Re-Branding
I have not taken this but I am curious to see what it's about. Target has everything man lol. I really need to go make a target run which is an hour away. I wanna see what all they have for me to stock up on!

I couldnt find the Silica there but found the Viviscal. Where are yall buying yall Silica from? I checked Amazon, and I saw it there but if there is an actual store I rather purchase it at the store.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I just purchased some silica!! I bought it at my local health food store, it cost 18.95 for 90 capsules. the brand is flora and it's vegetal silica. It's vegetarian and gluten free! It is 10 milligrams of silica and I am to take 3 capsules a day after each meal. I really hope that this is a good buy. I think I'm going to start taking it on Monday.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Aireen

Wondering if I should just take 1 MSM tablet/day instead of 2. After this bottle of MSM is finished, I'm going to look into getting something with a higher dosage in 1 capsule.

SincerelyBeautiful

Really want to go to GNC to search for some good vitamins. Maybe some HSN, or just MSM and Biotin. Idk but I want something. I think I'm becoming a supplement junky lol

jprayze

I just realized that viviscal has silica by way of the horsetail extract...I'm still learning...

Fhrizzball

Well I have some more vitamins I will be adding starting on monday.

On top of my Priteva I'll also be taking:

Biotin
MSM for joints as well as hair
Magnesium for headaches
Multivitamin and B12

Now I don't have a separate Vitamin C but it's in my Multi and I drink my vitmains with Orange Juice so I hope that will be enough. I just have to try to up my water dosage. As it is I'm only able to get in 32-48oz. I bought some Crystal Light so hopefully that will help and I'll be cutting calories as well so maybe that will prompt me to drink more.

When is everyone taking their vitamins? I do mine after breakfast whenever that ends up being.

jprayze

Here's my schedule: breakfast 'real meds', viviscal, multivitamin

Lunch biotin 1000 mcg, calcium/vitamin D

Dinner: calcium/vitamin D, viviscal

Something for every meal

freckledface

I'm gonna join. I've been sitting here THINKING about taking my vitimans for about 15min now. Smh maybe yall can help whip me into shape. I'll be back when I decide on exactly what I'm going to take.

ilong

God's Own
I am considering joining this challenge - BUT - I have to solve a mystery before I do.
The supplements I take are (not inclusive):
Country Life Maxi Hair (HSN)
Biotin
Bamboo Extract (AKA silica)
Prenatal
Vitamin C
L-cysteine
What is interesting is that my fingernails have not grown AT ALL in over 6 weeks!! They have been the exact length (at the tip of my finger) for this period. I really began to notice the beginning of October and it is a few days from November and my nails are at the same length. They are not growing and breaking off - nor am I cutting them off - they are not growing at all. They were prior to September but then all growth stopped.
I went back to see what and when I added something different to my vitamin
regimen there were 3 changes, starting in September:
I switched from Horsetail Silica to Bamboo Extract Silica
I changed my HSN from GNC brand to Country Life
I began taking L-cysteine.
The L-cysteine came later. So I am suspecting that if it is one thing - it is the bamboo extract. Or it could be "too many" supplements.
We are under the impression that these vitamins promote hair and nail growth but I am experiencing the exact opposite. If this is happening with my nails I wonder if I am or could experience a similar effect with hair growth - NONE!!! I don't want to take a chance so I am taking action now.
To troubleshoot I am going to eliminate the Bamboo Silica and L-cysteine from my regimen and see what the results are.
Sorry for the long post - but I think it is very important to share my experience, just in case others may be having the same issue.

DominicanBrazilian82

ilong said:
I am considering joining this challenge - BUT - I have to solve a mystery before I do.
The supplements I take are (not inclusive):
Country Life Maxi Hair (HSN)
Biotin
Bamboo Extract (AKA silica)
Prenatal
Vitamin C
L-cysteine
What is interesting is that my fingernails have not grown AT ALL in over 6 weeks!! They have been the exact length (at the tip of my finger) for this period. I really began to notice the beginning of October and it is a few days from November and my nails are at the same length. They are not growing and breaking off - nor am I cutting them off - they are not growing at all. They were prior to September but then all growth stopped.
I went back to see what and when I added something different to my vitamin
regimen there were 3 changes, starting in September:
I switched from Horsetail Silica to Bamboo Extract Silica
I changed my HSN from GNC brand to Country Life
I began taking L-cysteine.
The L-cysteine came later. So I am suspecting that if it is one thing - it is the bamboo extract. Or it could be "too many" supplements.
We are under the impression that these vitamins promote hair and nail growth but I am experiencing the exact opposite. If this is happening with my nails I wonder if I am or could experience a similar effect with hair growth - NONE!!! I don't want to take a chance so I am taking action now.
To troubleshoot I am going to eliminate the Bamboo Silica and L-cysteine from my regimen and see what the results are.
Sorry for the long post - but I think it is very important to share my experience, just in case others may be having the same issue.

I take bamboo supplements (organic silica) and my hair and nails have truly thrived. IMHO, the supplements you list are fab. I take some of them myself. My suggestion would be to see which vitamin in your multi is also a separate supplement that you take. Sometimes too much of one thing can hinder growth (selenium is one mineral within my multies (HNS, Mineral Rich) that I need to watch. Too much of it has adverse effects. I'm under the daily value suggested, but its close enough to it where I don't need to include this in my diet or additional supplements.) Also, your diet may contain elements within your supplements and increase the levels.

deedoswell

Wow!!! just noticed this challenge. I'm in. I think a year challenge for vitamins will be very interesting.

Right now I am taking: multivitamin, biotin, msm, garlic, fish oil, and I drink two cups of bamboo tea daily for the silica. Oh, and I'm going to start again on B12 and thinking of trying a silica supplement - not just the tea. I have been drinking the silica tea for about 3 months now and have noticed that my nails grow extremely fast. I will post my starting pic on January 1st. I try to take what will benefit my overall health and have the hair growth as a bonus!:yep:

Queensheba88

I'm taking futurebiotics hsn 2x a day with 1000mcg msm daily I'm a slow grower but I have been getting 1/2 in to 1in per month

ilong

God's Own
DominicanBrazilian82 - thanks for the reply. Your suggestion is great and well received. In my case the predominant independent supplement which overlaps with my HSN and Prenatal is Biotin. But, I have been taking it with a HSN and Prenatal all year. No change there. The other overlap is Silica - and Bamboo extract contains 70% Silica.

So I really suspect the Bamboo Extract. I did not experience this problem when I was taking Horsetail which only has 7% Silica.

I'm eliminating the Bamboo for now to see if my condition reverses. I also plan to do research the issue.

Aireen

Going to buy some silica today. :grin:
Okay so I didn't get my silica yesterday but I did today! I also got a massive jar of omega-3 pills and I restocked on MSM. I've decided to try to take 1 pill of each supplement instead of 2 of some like before to save on how much I have to restock. :look:

Vitamins I'm currently taking:

1 Viviscal
1 MSM (1000mg)
1 Biotin (1000mcg)
1 Bamboo Silica
1 tablespoon of Liquid Silica
1 Omega-3
1 Jamieson Prenatal

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I want in.....
-10mg Biotin daily

-Multi-Vit

-Vit C

-Chia Seeds (2 tbsp/daily)......high in iron, calcium, omega's, magnesium, and antioxidants. Also help to control appetite and balance blood sugar. Lower cholesterol and blood pressure, control sugar craving and aids weight loss. Improves health of skin, nails, and hair.

-Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (2 tsp in 8 oz of water x 3 times a day) .......too many benefits to name.

-1 tbsp of EVCO with each meal x 3

Last edited:

thatscuteright

My Current Vitamin Regimen:

Priteva Ultra ( has 5mg of Biotin )
Target Fish Oil
Target Glucosamine Chondroitin Complex

Plan to follow this until my B-day ( Feb 2013) and then maybe I will tweak it then.

ilong

God's Own
@DominicanBrazilian82 - thanks for the reply. Your suggestion is great and well received. In my case the predominant independent supplement which overlaps with my HSN and Prenatal is Biotin. But, I have been taking it with a HSN and Prenatal all year. No change there. The other overlap is Silica - and Bamboo extract contains 70% Silica.

So I really suspect the Bamboo Extract. I did not experience this problem when I was taking Horsetail which only has 7% Silica.

I'm eliminating the Bamboo for now to see if my condition reverses. I also plan to do research the issue.

After researching side effects of silica - I am more confident that it is the Bamboo Extract. Silica can break down/ destroy Vitamin B (especially thiamine). Biotin is a form of Vitamin B which promotes hair and nail growth. Bamboo extract contains 70% silica compared to the 7% in Horsetail. My silica intake increased by at least 126% by switching the type of silica I was taking (I was taking 1 in the AM and one in the PM). This % does not include any increase in silica from switching HSN supplements. So the silica was contraindicating my vitamin B intake. So there was no benefit from vitamin b - including biotin. If it has this affect on my nails I am sure it had a similar affect on my hair.

I haven't taken any supplements for a week and I am trying to flush my system by drinking more water. Next week I will resume taking my vitamins but I will not take any bamboo extract. I will monitor my nails for a while to see if they start to grow again - if they do I will add one Bamboo extract back to my vitamin regimen and monitor the affects. If nail growth stops again I will know that I can't take bamboo extract, otherwise I will know that I can only take one bamboo extract.

By the way - I was just in the Waist Length 2013 challenge and Shadiyah is having a similar issue. It may not be the same root cause - but it is worth thinking about.

Last edited:

DominicanBrazilian82

ilong said:
After researching side effects of silica - I am more confident that it is the Bamboo Extract. Silica can break down/ destroy Vitamin B (especially thiamine). Biotin is a form of Vitamin B which promotes hair and nail growth. Bamboo extract contains 70% silica compared to the 7% in Horsetail. My silica intake increased by at least 126% by switching the type of silica I was taking (I was taking 1 in the AM and one in the PM). This % does not include any increase in silica from switching HSN supplements. So the silica was contraindicating my vitamin B intake. So there was no benefit from vitamin b - including biotin. If it has this affect on my nails I am sure it had a similar affect on my hair.

I haven't taken any supplements for a week and I am trying to flush my system by drinking more water. Next week I will resume taking my vitamins but I will not take any bamboo extract. I will monitor my nails for a while to see if they start to grow again - if they do I will add one Bamboo extract back to my vitamin regimen and monitor the affects. If nail growth stops again I will know that I can't take bamboo extract, otherwise I will know that I can only take one bamboo extract.

By the way - I was just in the Waist Length 2013 challenge and Shadiyah is having a similar issue. It may not be the same root cause - but it is worth thinking about.

I'm sorry this is happening to you; especially since so many people have seen amazing results from taking this supplement. 126%? If you are counting the 70% each time you take a bamboo supplement, you are over-compensating. Your 70% increase is based on a two count serving size (1 am/ 1 pm) So your percent increase is 63%. I didn't know anything about it counter-acting the vitamin B. That is excellent information. I do know this much... Since starting the supplement a month and a half ago, I have seen incredible results. My nails are so full of life... And my hair... Well I'm 19 weeks post and the only nice thing I can say about my hair is how soft it is. My shrinkage and lack of movement (due to heightened and thickened roots and lack of heat) are making me more anxious to relax :). Hopefully your detox and bamboo supplement cease will kick start your growth again :)

image-2711874584.jpg

Last edited:

BGT

I've been taking my biotin and fish oil daily for about a week now. I'm 1.5 weeks post and already feel my roots getting curly. :grin: I'm going to start getting back in shape and want to take a multivitamin. What do you all recommend?

naturalagain2

BGT I take New Chapter Woman Daily Multivitamin. I love them. I can tell the difference when I don't take them. I'm not sluggish at the end of the day and I can take them on an empty stomach too.

Last edited: