Uncle Funky's Daughter/Afroveda products

Geminigirl

A BSS in my area has started carrying this as well as Afroveda products. i am looking for something for my twists/ twist outs. Any one tried UFD products? Which do you like? How bout Afroveda?

I know there is a thread on Afroveda most likely but I didn't se any for UFD when I did a search. TIA

tailormade84

gemini, why u come up in here without listing the store's name??!!! lol I have been waiting for Afroveda to be carried in stores for the LONGEST!!!!!

p.s. i have not tried either product (yet) but try going to youtube for some reviews.....as soon as you tell me which store they are in (and i complete my own little "use it up" challenge :look:) i'll let you know :)

Geminigirl

IDK ya'll I am researching now trying to fnd someone with my hair texture. Not having any luck. I am not sold on this product because of that. Might just stick to my Mango Butter for my twists until I can get some Oyin.

Geminigirl

Lol oh well it's Three Sister's Beauty Supply. I thought you would be on their email listing. They are havinf 15% off the UFD this weekend. And you can gt 15% off if you bring in empty KCCC Or KC products. Let me go get the email.

Here it is:
Hello my Lovelies!! I have got a delightful surprise for you all. Now, what I am about to tell you needs to stay between you and I. Because I am starting to see my favorite products pop up on shelves where they don't belong. But from the words of the late Tupac Shakur, "I Ain't Mad at Cha". I could very well not share this valued information in fear that someone might (for a lack of better words) cop my style, but that would be taking away from you, My Lovelies, and we for sure can't have that. (smile) Besides, that must mean we are doing something right.

All that being said, we are ready to bring you your Kinky Curly replacement. Yes, I said it. REPLACEMENT!! I am so excited. Now for you newbies, please don't consider me a hater. Just know that I want the best products for our customers and when I was told that 3 Sister's Beauty Supply would not be allowed to carry Kinky Curly products due to our proximity to Whole Foods, Ricky and I went on a mad hunt to find you an alternative. We would rather see you shopping here where you can receive assistance with your product selections as well as options for other products to try. So, after I got an email from one of my regulars, Ms. Raenel, saying that Uncle Funky's Daughter is very similar to Kinky Curly (and cheaper) I had to revisit this Uncle Funky. We did some research and looked at product reviews from all of the fabulous youtubers and decided that we may have a winner. So now without further ado, 3 Sister's would like to bring you The Replacement Curly Magic.
Thanks Rae!!

So now I bring you the FUNK!!

Introducing Uncle Funky's Daughter
Featured Product: Curly Magic
Flex your supercurl muscle naturally with our aloe-based, firm hold curl enhancing gel. Curls become more defined and manageable with a nourished, brilliant shine. Curly Magic delivers superior results of taming frizz, elongating curls and adding moisture all in one powerful product * Formulated for kinky and curly textures* Fast Drying * All Natural * Silicone Free * Paraben Free * Light, fresh clean citrus scent * PETA Friendly * 16 oz

Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Ingredients: botanical infusion of water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), pectic, citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance

Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic
Ingredients: Aqueous-infused extracts of marshmallow, chamomile, horsetail and nettle, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, potassium sorbate, citric acid and a delightful natural fragrance.

See any similarities???

Take the Curly Magic Challenge
We're going to have a Funky Good Time
Bring me your Kinky Curly Curling Custard to receive 15% off of your Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic

Stop by 3 Sister's Beauty Supply this weekend only and receive
15% off of your Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic purchase.
Bring your empty Curling Custard container (or any other Kinky Curly product)
and trade it in to receive 15% off of the Curly Magic product.
We promise you'll be a huge fan.

Testers available in the store for all of the Uncle Funky newbies!!

She was saying that the sale starts on Saturday or something though. But she hopes to have the products tomorrow. She just emailed me right back.

dynamic1

I have used curly magic and it does not compare to Kinky Curly imo. It isn't that much cheaper either. It seems to sit on my hair and not absorb (lack of better explanation). My hair was dull and dry to the touch. It was a little better with oil but not worth it. :nono:

I have tried it with leave in, with oils, etc. and decided you shouldn't have to put this much work into a product. I wanted to like it but could not.

DirtyJerzeyGirly

I use UFD! There stuff is the bomb! I use the curly magic and the good hair conditioner. The curly magic is similar to kinky curly, but much better to me. It's not sticky and doesn't take long to dry like KCCC. They have a website as well.

Geminigirl

I believe I am a 4a/b. Type 4. Ok Tiana so you like it. Hmmm. I am still up in the air. People in this thread say it's a fail. I wonder if they have samples....

@tailormade yea they sent out an email.Awhile ago. I was like oooh. these products she's starting to carry that I have heard of but never researched cause they are online. I am excited. I thought you'd be on the list, I heard about them through a post you made/were in. I much rather support black businesses. Especially when it comes to hair.

Last edited:

chebaby

im a 3c4a and my hair loves afroveda. i just dont like the long shipping times. but i love love love her ashlii amala red raspberry hair mask and for the butters i like the cocolatte and the shea amla. they are both very moisturizing and when i was using them i used them on twists and braids.

Amari

im a 3c4a and my hair loves afroveda. i just dont like the long shipping times. but i love love love her ashlii amala red raspberry hair mask and for the butters i like the cocolatte and the shea amla. they are both very moisturizing and when i was using them i used them on twists and braids.

You are such a pusher!What are the consistencies like for the hair butters you've tried?

Geminigirl

Thanks. I really like the way my twists look on stretched dry hair. I just need something for my ends. Everytime I touch them I get the urge to cut!

This hair mask was it moisturizing? What did you like about it? You aren't my hair type but still natural. Do you suffer from dry ends?

DirtyJerzeyGirly

I believe I am a 4a/b. Type 4. Ok Tiana so you like it. Hmmm. I am still up in the air. People in this thread say it's a fail. I wonder if they have samples....

@tailormade yea they sent out an email.Awhile ago. I was like oooh. these products she's starting to carry that I have heard of but never researched cause they are online. I am excited. I thought you'd be on the list, I heard about them through a post you made/were in. I much rather support black businesses. Especially when it comes to hair.

What doesnt work for them may work for you. Can't always go by other folks.

Just don't think that curly magic is gonna give you curl3a/3b loose curls. It does have great definition, not drying and I noticed it's very moistureizing.

chebaby

You are such a pusher!What are the consistencies like for the hair butters you've tried?
lol. the cocolatte is a thick butter but you can see the oils in it. i think this one is more moisturizing but thats because my hair loves oils. the shea amla is very dense and thick but you can tell its creamy and not just buttery like shea butter and cocoa butter. i hope i gave good descriptions lol.

Geminigirl

What doesnt work for them may work for you. Can't always go by other folks.

Just don't think that curly magic is gonna give you curl3a/3b loose curls. It does have great definition, not drying and I noticed it's very moistureizing.

Yea I wasn't thinking that at all. I have used KCCC and have gotten great definiton. I know what to kind of expect if they are similar.

I plan on trying to go to 3 Sisters on Sunday. Just to check it out.

Don't get your hopes up. Def go and support them. But I was sadly dissappoined in their selection. They didn't even have S curl. They have alot of nice products though which I won't put out there since they don't want you to, but for the most part they are just like any other BSS except they speak English.

chebaby

Thanks. I really like the way my twists look on stretched dry hair. I just need something for my ends. Everytime I touch them I get the urge to cut!

This hair mask was it moisturizing? What did you like about it? You aren't my hair type but still natural. Do you suffer from dry ends?
i dont really suffer from dryness because when my hair isnt in twists i co wash everyday.
the ashlii amala mask is amazing. its thin and runny but one of the best conditioners ive ever used. it makes my hair soft and strong all at the same time. and it smells :lick:. the only prblem is that she raised the prices if you get it from her site. maybe its cheaper to buy it locally.

Geminigirl

i dont really suffer from dryness because when my hair isnt in twists i co wash everyday.
the ashlii amala mask is amazing. its thin and runny but one of the best conditioners ive ever used. it makes my hair soft and strong all at the same time. and it smells :lick:. the only prblem is that she raised the prices if you get it from her site. maybe its cheaper to buy it locally.

Well thanks for your input! I am wanting to cowash right now. I am trying to keep my hands out of my hair though. i doubt it would be too much cheaper. I hope though that would be great. I know I called Oyin and their sample pack is same price in store and online. I need some of that honey hemp in my life though.

beautyaddict1913

Wait. . .there's a brand called Uncle Funky's Daughter?!?! I am so out of the game.

Yes its the name of a salon here in Houston! Check this out for reference on what I am going to say next: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8AKMEFWlmk

So yesterday I went to Whole Foods and got KC Knot Today but the CC was $30 so I figured I would go to UFD to get the Curly Magic or Miss Jessie's since their products are sold there as well...so my hair was in a dry twist-out, and I rolled it the night before so perhaps it looked relaxed...one of the stylist asked if I had a relaxer...I told her it had been 15 months and I am transitioning so she said "o no! these arent gonna work for you until you get rid of those relaxed ends!!" Then she went on to say "I need to see your hair wet to know if this product is gonna work for you...does it curl up a lot when its wet, like Debra Duncan's (the local morning tv show personality)? First of all Ive never seen Debra Duncan wash her hair so all I could say was "it gets pretty wavy"....she went on to say "well I gotta see for myself, no curly product in the world is gonna work for your hair if youre hangin on to those relaxed ends and if your hair doesnt curl or wave up A LOT when wet." She basically wanted me to make an appt with her to cut the last 5 inches of my relaxed past away, then I could maybe get the product if my texture was right to her...in conclusion, she literally wouldn't ALLOW ME to purchase products from there...I'm like afraid to go back and try to get anything since there is a strict hair texture policy for purchases lol! I felt discriminated against:nono:

Watch the yt link for more info!

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

Yes its the name of a salon here in Houston! Check this out for reference on what I am going to say next: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8AKMEFWlmk

So yesterday I went to Whole Foods and got KC Knot Today but the CC was $30 so I figured I would go to UFD to get the Curly Magic or Miss Jessie's since their products are sold there as well...so my hair was in a dry twist-out, and I rolled it the night before so perhaps it looked relaxed...one of the stylist asked if I had a relaxer...I told her it had been 15 months and I am transitioning so she said "o no! these arent gonna work for you until you get rid of those relaxed ends!!" Then she went on to say "I need to see your hair wet to know if this product is gonna work for you...does it curl up a lot when its wet, like Debra Duncan's (the local morning tv show personality)? First of all Ive never seen Debra Duncan wash her hair so all I could say was "it gets pretty wavy"....she went on to say "well I gotta see for myself, no curly product in the world is gonna work for your hair if youre hangin on to those relaxed ends and if your hair doesnt curl or wave up A LOT when wet." She basically wanted me to make an appt with her to cut the last 5 inches of my relaxed past away, then I could maybe get the product if my texture was right to her...in conclusion, she literally wouldn't ALLOW ME to purchase products from there...I'm like afraid to go back and try to get anything since there is a strict hair texture policy for purchases lol! I felt discriminated against:nono:

girl.....she's just trying to get your money..... don't go back, get the kccc instead and look at tutorials on yt of ladies with a similar texture to yours. I like afroveda products the curl defien and pur whipped gelly are good but none of her products are for wash and gos. sorry this happened to you that chick had no clue what she was talking about.

Geminigirl

LOL she was sounding a little militant. The one model had tons of hair and I wasn't seeing that much defintion. Maybe it was because of the time limit or something. Judging just by the video I get better definiton with KCCC.
Oh and I wasn't feeling that twistout.

girl.....she's just trying to get your money..... don't go back, get the kccc instead and look at tutorials on yt of ladies with a similar texture to yours. I like afroveda products the curl defien and pur whipped gelly are good but none of her products are for wash and gos. sorry this happened to you that chick had no clue what she was talking about.

Oooh please tell more. What is curl define and pure whipped gelly for? Well i've heard of this jelly. Off to youtube to reaearch. There isn't much reviews on UFD products on youtube for my texture. I am guessing as she stated to beauty in so many words, that it's for loose textured. That Curly magic does intrigue me for twists though.

Last edited:

chebaby

kccc was the worst product i had ever used. yea it gave me definition but my hair a crunchy mess and i never used a lot. i used kbb hair milk, kinky curly knot today and giovanni direct under it and nothing made my hair soft. this is why i hate gels. i love hairveda whipped gelly but i only use it to slick the front of my hair down and it gives me a very soft hold. but regular gels, and kccc was a waste of money for anything more than slicking my hair into a puff.
i would try uncle funkys daughter curly magic since im not a gel fan but i would try the extra butter. the only thing holding me back is the fact that they use refined shea butter instead of unrefined.

chebaby

Well thanks for your input! I am wanting to cowash right now. I am trying to keep my hands out of my hair though. i doubt it would be too much cheaper. I hope though that would be great. I know I called Oyin and their sample pack is same price in store and online. I need some of that honey hemp in my life though.
honey hemp conditioner is my most fave conditioner in the whole wide world. it softens my hair so much so that i cant use it overnight like i like to do with my conditioners. i use it as a leave in, co wash and deep conditioner. my hair loves protein more than anything but when i want moisture this is the conditioner. i really really love it. and i like most of their products but i dont use the shine and define unless im using the whipped pudding.

Geminigirl

I am really pumped about this oyin. But oyin is in MD and the other products are here. I just got a job! So my son's father stays outside of B-more so I will def be copping this ASAP. I can't wait for that honey hemp to touch my hair. I can feel the softness now lol.

I noticed that with KCCC on my hair that it's really wet, then semi dries hard, but when fully dry it is soft. You have to let your hair completly dry which could tell a day or a day and half. I love KCCC.

JustSimplyTish

I love UFD Curly Magic...I find it so much better than KCCC ....it does not leave you with the Jeri Curl Crunchy hair thing going on....I also really like their hair butter...those are the only two products I have tried from UFD and I highly recommend them....I have Afro Veda Products but I have not tried them yet...But I am so glad Three Sister's carries it now..they are only 15 mins from me...so thats a plus....since it took a month to get my products from AfroVeda...which also is down the street...

Last edited:

Lady S

I wouldn't buy anything anyways because a) that was lousy service and b)it doesn't seem like anything special, unless I'm missing something. Sounds like she was trying to get some extra bucks by pressuring you into a haircut. :ohwell:

OT-ish: That second woman in the video had amazing hair!