UK ladies-Should I tip?

I have an appointment at the salon this week for a touch-up and I'm confused as to whether I should tip or not and if so how much. I've been to this particular salon once before but I didn't leave a tip. Previously I did my relaxers at home. I'm not familiar with the etiquette so I'm curious to know whether it's the norm to leave a tip after a salon visit in the UK. Is it expected?

I would be grateful for suggestions and experiences from anyone even if you don't live in the UK (although the UK practice is obviously most relevant to me)...

zigzag1

Hi

The last time I went to a salon (a few years back) I gave the main stylist £2 and the girl who washed my hair £1. It all depends on your pocket, how pleased you are with the result and the treatment you receive at the salon. This is just my opinion as I have not been near a salon for ages!!!!!! HTH :)

kizzylonghair

It depends on firstly IF YOU PLEASEDWITH YOUR EXPERIENCE THERE !!!
Have they done what you asked them, look at what they are doing and see if they are skipping any steps. Did they listen to you and your requests?
That’s how I would judge it!
I generally tip my stylist but only if she does the above, as I don’t want to get her into the habit of expecting it and start skipping steps. I divorced!! From my old stylist back in November as I have found out that she was doing more harm than good. I would always tip her !!DOH

Good Luck

What part of England of you from, What salon are you going to?

Thanks for the responses! Last time I went there I got a good relaxer service although my hair wasn't styled that well. Overall I liked it there, they used Affirm Mild and all the steps were taken which is the most important thing.

Kizzylonghair- I'm from Berkshire (20 minutes from London by train) and I'm going to a local salon. There's only two black salons where I am so I'm pleased I found a good one that uses Affirm!

kizzylonghair

Moon,

I have heard that Berkshire is very nice part of the England. Didn’t think there would be many black people living there!!

At least you have a good salon to go to.
As for styling, my hairdresser isn’t that adventurous either. I always leave with my official style as I call it. But with the length I have I am quite limited, it’s at the bottom of my neck.

I used to go to another salon and ended up re-styling my hair after I had it done, What was I paying for ? I remember her getting the mirror to show me the back and I would just qwinge. But I would never say I didn’t like it.
Years and years ago, they would spritz it then tong it -- Made it rock hard, imagine the dryness and breakage after that.
They would gel down the sides, Twist the front, sometimes I would leave looking like I was going to a Jamaican carnival.

But soon I decided to speak up. Maybe you could just politely tell her you don’t like it or before she starts to comb or straighten work with her and tell her what you want. As you know from this board hairdressers don’t actually know everything!!!!

Mariaat40

I'm not from the the UK but my understanding here in the U.S. is that IF you are pleased with the service you tip your stylist if she is an employee of the salon. Salon owners are not tipped.