Types of Conditioning & Benefits

stacy

Can I get some clarification on the types of conditioning out there, the products good for each type, and the benefits and frequency of use? These are the types I've heard about:

1. Deep conditioning treatments

2. Hot oil conditioning treatments

3. Reconstructive conditioning treatments

4. Regular rinse conditioners

5. Leave-in conditioners

These and other questions I have prompted this post: Is deep conditioning simply using a moisturizing conditioner with heat? Is the alternative just leaving a regular conditioner in your hair for a short while without heat? If so, what exactly is a regular conditioner (one that has a bit of protein and moisturizers?)? What is the benefit of hot oil treatments? How do you do one? What are the steps? Before poo or after? I know that hair sometimes needs protein? When do you need protein conditioners? Are all protein conditioners reconstructive conditioners? How often should this be done? Where do porosity conditioners fit in?

I just feel like I need to know more about conditioning-what to do, how to do it, and why- in order to really create a hair regimen that will enable me to keep the hair I have looking decent and grow healthier hair. The thread on Damaged Hair Treatment Instructions was great. I am really thinking about getting the Nexxus Emergencee (that little ole bottle was $14!). However, I think I need some remedial lessons first because I am accumulating products and I do not really know how to incorporate them into an effective hair care regimen.

Come on out hair experts and gurus to share your wisdom. Please explain what each type of conditioning is (add any that I've left out), the benefits of it (what state your hair should be in when it is used, what good will it do for your hair, etc.), how often should it be used (weekly, monthly, as needed, etc.), the proper technique for use (sit for 30 minutes with heat, sit for 15 minutes w/o heat, leave for 5 minutes, then rinse, etc.), and brands of conditioners that fall into that category (Apoghee, Humecto, Nexxus Emergencee, etc.). Thank you so much. Hopefully, this will help others, too; especially, for the Super Grow Out 2005 challenge.

Last edited:

dreemssold

I am some kind of aggravated right now, because I just typed a long response to your post and poof! Gone :mad: . Anyway, in sum, I think of hot oil treatments, regular conditioners, and deep conditioners as a means to give my hair much needed added moisture. For me, reconstructive conditioners are a means of providing my hair with protein, which rebuilds and strengthens my hair when weak. Leave-ins can serve many purposes--added moisture, shine, sometimes proteins, and often assist in detangling.

I generally do not do hot oil treatments per se; however, I do mix oils (although usually with a conditioner and sometimes coconut milk and honey) and add heat for a pre-poo treatment. I sit under a heat cap for 20-30 minutes.

Yes, I think deep conditioners can be done with a regular conditioner by just adding heat--I have done this in the past. However, I generally prefer a very thick (in terms of consistency) conditioner for deep conditioning. For this reason, I prefer LeKair Cholesterol. I also like Capilo Milk and Honey. I apply and sit under the heat cap for 30-45 minutes. I do a deep conditioner every time I do a shampoo wash. Lately, I have not been shampoo washing, so I follow every 3rd or 4th conditioner wash with a deep conditoner.

When I do a conditioner wash, I usually use Kenra MC, but sometimes I also use Humectress or Suave Awapuhi. I wash, let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes, then rinse.

I do not think a protein conditioner is necessarily a reconstructive conditioner. I use Tigi Ego Boost for protein, but it's no Aphogee. I'd say a reconstructive conditioner should be applied every 6-10 weeks, depending on the condition of the hair. I use some protein whenever my hair appears weak. I think I hit everything...again! HTH :).

webby

Think Slim
Stacy, I am no expert. I only have a decent understanding of my own hair and my products change as my requirements change. Here is what I think:

1. Deep conditioning treatments: I use Matrix Biolage Hair Masque, Sebastian Penetraitt, recently bought one from KeraKare. I use these to replenish my hair; add moisture and to keep my hair supple.

2. Hot oil conditioning treatments: I don't really do hot oils or pre-poos anymore, because I find that my hair is left limp and heavy, but when my hair is really dry, I do revert to an oil treatment. My own concoctions seem to give me more of what I want.

3. Reconstructive conditioning treatments: I don't know if Keraphix or Emergencee quite fall into this category, but I use these products, alternating between a deep conditioner and a protein. I also follow the instructions explicitly, as to prevent further damage.

4. Regualr rinse conditioners: I primarily use these to detangle. I think that chemically treated hair must always be deep conditioned after washing, so I don't rely on a rinse to do much on its own.

5. Leave-in conditioners: Ah, there are so many that I love, but I never, ever roller set w/o a leave-in. I prefer the cremes; the liquids make my hair stiff, hard. I use Humectress, Lacio-lacio, Potion No. 9, and Sedal. My hair is always very shiny and soft after a pull my rollers out. I get lots of bounce and plenty of body.

candibaby

1. Deep Conditioning Treatments. These aren't necessarily deep conditioners, but you can make any moisturizing conditioner a deep conditioner by simply adding heat (hooded dryer). My personal favorite is Nexxus Humectress, after that Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, and after that, Kenra Color Maintenance Conditioner. I use one of these (usually Humectress) every time I wash my hair, because I always deep condition no matter what. For me, it keeps my hair moisturized and soft.

2. Hot Oil Conditioning Treatments. I dont do these. I've tried it before, and I didnt really like it. It didnt make my hair feel like it had gotten anything but oily.

3. Reconstructive Conditioning Treatments. I use a reconstructive conditioner once every week (I usually wash 2x a week). My favorite is Nexxus Keraphix. I usually mix Keraphix with Humectress and deep condition for 20 minutes that way. It's called a "protopak". I do these to keep the protein/moisture balance in my hair and to keep my hair strengthened. I believe doing this is what helps me to hardly have split ends.

4. Regular Rinse Conditioners. Well I guess Humectress would be considered one of these, I just use mine as a deep conditioner. I never add conditioner, and then simply rinse it out right after. I guess I can't really answer this question.

5. Leave-in Conditioners. I prefer spray leave-ins. My favorites are Kenra Daily Provision and Elasta-QP H-two (which are basically the EXACT same thing). I use to add extra moisture to my hair and because they usually contain sunscreen and I see that as an added benefit to my hair. They are also supposed to "seal the cuticle" after washing the hair, but doing a final rinse in cool water can achieve the same thing.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Hey stacy. I too have been confused about the different types of conditioners and treatments out there... and I'm still confused about it all! :lol: I never heard of all these types of conditioners and treatments until I found the LHCF.

I do conditioner washes about 1-3X a week with Suave Tropical Coconut or Suave Professionals Humectant. I love how my hair feels after doing this. My hair feels really moisturized with a cool feeling! :grin:

Right now, I mix LeKair Cholesterol Plus with Hot Six Oil and use it as a deep conditioning treatment once a week after I wash my hair. I guess it can be considered a mix with a hot oil treatment as well. I leave it in my hair for 10-20 minutes under a hooded dryer. It leaves my hair moisturized and soft, so those are the benefits. :)

I also use ElastaQP Breakage Control Serum for 10-20 minutes undered a hooded dryer once a month after I use a clarifying shampoo. It's an intensive treatment and I consider this a light protein treatment. It leaves my hair feeling stronger. :cool:
Lastly, I use Motions Nourish leave-in Conditioner after I'm done washing and conditioning my hair. It's a good detangler. So is Surge Hair Revitalizer Plus 14. I would say these leave-ins help keep my hair protected from breakage and in good condition. ;)

Before I joined the LHCF, I never used any of those things. I would have to say my hair is benefiting from using these types of conditioning and treatments. I don't have a rinse conditioner or a reconstructor or a hardcore protein treatment. I sometimes don't see the need for all those treatments if your hair is pretty healthy and isn't suffering from major breakage. :look:

Last edited:

KAddy

sbaker said:
Great Thread, Thanks For Starting It. I Wish I Could Add It To My Favorites.
You can, just go to the top of the thread and click on THREAD TOOLS then click on SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD

Dolapo

1. Deep conditioning treatments - I use either NTM hair mask, queene helene's cholesterol or humectress with a shower cap cos i dont have a dryer or whatever

2. Hot oil conditioning treatments - I do this whenever i feel like. I mix every oil i can find. Evoo, sesame seed oil, wgho, honey and coconut oil

3. Reconstructive conditioning treatments - i use aphogee and now i have keraphix so i use that

4. Regular rinse conditioners - i have cheapie conditioners so i do a CWC everytime i wash. First conditioner is either dove or any tressemme. They normally dont work for me. so im trying to get rid of them. then without rinsing it out, i poo, rinse out then finish off with my normal conditioner which is humectress or NTM

5. Leave-in conditioners - i use NTM leave in and salerm 21. This is for detangling i guess.

simcha

1) Deep Conditioning Treatments: I deep condition after I wash my hair with L'Oreals Natures Therapy Mega Moisture, cover it with a plastic bag and for 20 minutes minimum under the dryer.

2) Hot Oil Treatments: I hot oil treatment everytime before I wash my hair. I use olive oil (Whole Foods Organic Extra Virgin) on dry hair, cover it with a plastic bag and sit for 20 minutes minimum under the dryer.

3) Reconstructive Treatments: I only do these when I notice unusual amount of breakage. I use Aphogee followed up with my moisturizing treatment with either the Mega Moisture or Humectress.

4) Regular Rinse Conditioner: I don't use these. I deep condition everytime I wash my hair.

5) Leave-in Conditioner: I only use these when I pull my hair back in an airdried ponytail or bun (which is rare). I use Rene Furturer's Carthame Leave-in.