Type 4a and 4b Hair and Detangling-Am I Chasing An Impossible Dream?

LocksOfLuV

I know there are products that helps us, get slip and detangle much easier. I know my CON shampoo and Silicon Mix does an EXCELLENT job at detangling and making my combouts easier.

But am I chasing an impractical dream by searching and searching for THE detangling product that will make a comb slide through my strands like literally 1a hair?

Should I just settle with the good slip that I am having now, or have any type 4s honestly ( I mean LITERALLY) had a product that made the comb have NO resistance, and make it just glide through? Should I keep going? I am not just talking good slip here people, I am talking comb just glides through the hair with NOOOOOO hesitation. NONE. Not one drop. I mean, just literally (and I do mean literally lol) make the knots/tangles melt.

Other than having a fresh relaxer, is that even possible?

Radianthealth

I say keep going!!!

Your research this far has helped you and other 4Bs. Why stop???

Plus you can share with all of us when you find out what is best:look:

LocksOfLuV

trimbride said:
I say keep going!!!

Your research this far has helped you and other 4Bs. Why stop???

Plus you can share with all of us when you find out what is best:look:

I mean, I am seriously wondering is silicon mix conditioner is the best that a product will do for my hair. I mean it is GOOD, and I am not saying it's not, but I often wonder if there is a miracle product (besides a relaxer) that makes my hair so detagnled, that I can run a smaller toothed comb throughout my hair right after getting out the shower.

I bought some Atone today and I guess I will keep looking. I will try a few more conditioners and if those doesn't work then I may conclude that silicon mix is the best I can find.

cheetarah1980

I'm 4b and totally natural. There ain't a product like it that I've seen. Elucence Moisture Balance conditioner is the best detangler I've used thus far. Also try mixing some castor oil into your conditioner. It makes tangles slippery so combs can get through them better.

krissyprissy

I use AtOne and Ion Finishing Detangler. Plus I detangle under running water using my shower detangler and my smooth-n-detangle bruch by Scrunchi.

Radianthealth

You never know you may come up with the perfect combination and make some money:cool:

You sound passionate about it, I don't see any harm in your curiosity;)

I haven't tried silicone mix yet, but after my last wash, I know I need some...off to do a search :)

LocksOfLuV

trimbride said:
You never know you may come up with the perfect combination and make some money:cool:

You sound passionate about it, I don't see any harm in your curiosity;)

I haven't tried silicone mix yet, but after my last wash, I know I need some...off to do a search :)

Imma keep looking. For all my 4bs!:lol:

Ella, I got you too!:lol:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
LocksOfLuV said:
Should I just settle with the good slip that I am having now, or have any type 4s honestly ( I mean LITERALLY) had a product that made the comb have NO resistance, and make it just glide through? Should I keep going? I am not just talking good slip here people, I am talking comb just glides through the hair with NOOOOOO hesitation. NONE. Not one drop. I mean, just literally (and I do mean literally lol) make the knots/tangles melt.

I have never been able to get even 'good slip' from conditioners, but shampoo is what helps the comb glide through my hair. Now I ain't going to lie and say that it's a tangle free process, but detangling became MUCH easier when I switched from doing it with conditioner to detangling with moisturizing shampoo.

I use ouchless bands to secure the hair in 4 sections to rinse the shampoo out and keep them on through the conditioning process.

LocksOfLuV

JCoily said:
I have never been able to get even 'good slip' from conditioners, but shampoo is what helps the comb glide through my hair. Now I ain't going to lie and say that it's a tangle free process, but detangling became MUCH easier when I switched from doing it with conditioner to detangling with moisturizing shampoo.

I use ouchless bands to secure the hair in 4 sections to rinse the shampoo out and keep them on through the conditioning process.

I thought about doing this with CON since it is so detangling. I think I need to try this.

locabouthair

hmm I don't know. I think I have been having good results since I have been using con shampoo. but before then detangling has never been an issue even when I was 10 weeks post or when I was natural all I needed was a big tooth comb and I was straight. I am 4b, I have absolutely NO wave or curl to my hair plus its coarse. maybe it's because my hair is short. I have neck length hair. the only thing I can think of that works well is CON and ur already using that.

RubyWoo

LocksOfLuV said:
I know there are products that helps us, get slip and detangle much easier. I know my CON shampoo and Silicon Mix does an EXCELLENT job at detangling and making my combouts easier.

But am I chasing an impractical dream by searching and searching for THE detangling product that will make a comb slide through my strands like literally 1a hair?

The product that does it for me is Lacio Lacio leave-in conditioner:love:! Silicon Mix is the bomb but Lacio Lacio reigns supreme where detangling is concerned IMO.

Last edited:

secretdiamond

LocksOfLuV said:
I thought about doing this with CON since it is so detangling. I think I need to try this.

I've already been doing this with CON and it's great! The denman is wonderful too!:sekret:

RubyWoo

To address your question, I think it is very possible to find a product like what you're looking for. I think you should look into getting a detangler type product or a leave-in conditioner since many of them are designed to detangle. Moisturizing shampoo is helpful but if you're going to be manipulating your hair after you shampooo (ex. do a treatment or deep conditioning) then you're going to need something to help you detangle after you've rinsed. I say keep looking because it is out there. I found mine and I will never give it up. It's just that good to me..lol!

VA_Girl

I have nautral 4A/B hair, and I've found the Qhemet Biologics Detangler works wonders for me!!! It also works as a leave-in. All the conditioners listed here are great, but the QB detangler is THE TRUTH!!!!

(I need to add pics to my siggy so you'll believe me!)

hopeful

VA_Girl said:
I have nautral 4A/B hair, and I've found the Qhemet Biologics Detangler works wonders for me!!! It also works as a leave-in. All the conditioners listed here are great, but the QB detangler is THE TRUTH!!!!

(I need to add pics to my siggy so you'll believe me!)

Well alrighty then I am so going to try this. I was about to tell the OP this search is futile, but like somebody said, we can't give up.

CAPlush

I'm not going to say it is "impossible" but if you think about the structure of our hair, the strands are going to wrap around each other because of the shape irrespective of what product is used. I think there will always be some resistance, but I still think it a worthy quest. Please update us on any new finds!:)

comike

I have 4a armpit length hair that is pretty thick and I have no problem with tangled hair unless my hair is extremely dry. While shampooing, I try not to bunch my hair up. And before rinsing the shampoo, I slide my fingers through my hair to remove any tangles that I may have gotten while shampooing. The technique...gently massage the scalp and run your fingers through the length of your hair to clean. After a good conditioner, I rinse in the shower while running the detangling comb (Jilbere) through my hair at the same time. The running shower water definitely removes any and all tangles very easily.

Esmé

Creme of Nature shampoo has always helped me. I use a shower comb and never comb from the bottom up (because I'm lazy, not because I don't think it's beneficial). Herbal Essences conditioners (Replenishing conditioner and Hello Hydration conditioner) have also helped me. The only tangling I had was very slight and came from swirling my hair all over the place while shampooing. The comb went right through quite easily.

After the shower, I always use Salerm 21 and NTM Healing Shine serum.

LocksOfLuV

Thank you ladies. Seriously.

Naturelle, I have been avoiding that Lacio like the plague but I may give in once my leave-ins are finished.:lol:

Thanks again ladies.

senimoni

I go through cycles. At one point Porosity control was the end all be all....not so much anymore. Lately it has been CON shampoo and prepooing with oil. But to answer your question....for me it is impossible b/c I'm texlaxed so its never going to literally slip right through.

thiccknlong

Hi girlie !

I think one of the best method is a preventative one - keep it from getting tangled the first place.

I lather on a BUNCH of preconditioner...then use detangling shampoo, with little manipulation.

Then viola ! Little tangling.

Dare~to~Dream

I've had very good results with Praital Silk Worm Moisturizing Créme. I've mentioned it on a few threads (two) and it really makes the tangles fall out of my "natural" hair--love that stuff.

LocksOfLuV

senimoni said:
I go through cycles. At one point Porosity control was the end all be all....not so much anymore. Lately it has been CON shampoo and prepooing with oil. But to answer your question....for me it is impossible b/c I'm texlaxed so its never going to literally slip right through.

I think this may be the case for me too. and right now i am not willing to relax bonestraight so i will suck it up.

it's not BAD at all ya know.

Just wondering if i am on a dummy mission looking for something better than what i have now.

LocksOfLuV

thicknlong said:
Hi girlie !

I think one of the best method is a preventative one - keep it from getting tangled the first place.

I lather on a BUNCH of preconditioner...then use detangling shampoo, with little manipulation.

Then viola ! Little tangling.

Hiya!

this is the same thing that i do and it really does work!

LocksOfLuV

Lanelle said:
I've had very good results with Praital Silk Worm Moisturizing Créme. I've mentioned it on a few threads (two) and it really makes the tangles fall out of my "natural" hair--love that stuff.

you know you are talking to an ex pj right?:lol: i will try this once my silicon mix is up.

Dare~to~Dream

LocksOfLuV said:
you know you are talking to an ex pj right? :lol: i will try this once my silicon mix is up.

Aren't we all? :lol: I'm trying to be an "ex-pj" but I still have "product junky" tendencies from time to time. I really need to stop before I go bankrupt. :look:

Last edited:

LocksOfLuV

Lanelle said:
Aren't we all? :lol: I'm trying to be an "ex-pj" but I still have "product junky" tendencies from time to time. I really need to stop before I go bankrupt. :look:

Girl we'll be homeless with some bangin' arse hair!:lachen: