Two strand twists: Knots at the ends

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
Hello!

I have a frustrating problem with my two strand twists. After about 3-4 days after installing my twists they are tangled and knotted at the ends. I twist on dry hair and moisturize 1-2 times per day while they are in. I lose too much of my ends when it time to take the twists down. I know it has caused some unnecessary thinning to my ends. I have to pick the tangles out with a fine tooth comb because the knots are so tight and small. I tried running the fine tooth comb through the ends every few days but I still lose hair doing that and it is time consuming.

I really love twists and they are the reason I finally got to APL. My hair has retained and the rest of my hair has thickened up so much! I don't want to stop wearing them because it is what's finally working for me. I had to do a serious trim because my ends were scraggly. I have to figure something out. Anyone have a solution? I would be very grateful. Thanks!

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
What kind of products are you using to twist with? Are they gels and really sticky and tacky?

Maybe you need a good trim as well...

Also maybe it is the moisturizing multiple times a day. If I go hard on wetting my hair with spritzes and stuff my hair gets really tangly in twists...

spacetygrss

What are you using to seal your ends? Is it a liquid, oil, cream, butter, or buttercream?
I know that I have to seal my ends with a butter or my ends start to unravel and tangle. I can use other stuff, but the last step has to be a thick butter.

I'm high porosity, mostly 4a, natural for reference.
HTH

snoop

What kind of products are you using to twist with? Are they gels and really sticky and tacky?

Maybe you need a good trim as well...

Also maybe it is the moisturizing multiple times a day. If I go hard on wetting my hair with spritzes and stuff my hair gets really tangly in twists...

^^This. It might be a sign that you need a mini trim. You can do that yourself next time you install your twists.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I agree with the trim and sealant suggestions. I cannot use water based moisturizers or creams on my twists often. My ends need an oil or oil-based butter on them to help alleviate the fairy knots.

Bantu knots or perm rods also help to keep my ends smooth and free of tangles.