Texturizer+4B hair= breakage?

BklynHeart

I went to the salon on Monday for a wash, blow out and trim. I'm natural and I was explaining to the stylist that I am getting tired of the knots and tangles as my hair is getting longer, but I don't want to relax bone straight because my hair is on the thin side. She suggested using a texturizer, so I can still have more of a natural look, but it will be easier to blow out if I need to and will diminish the tangling.

Any 4Bs with a texturizer and doesn't have any issues? She knows my hair will not have any defining curls, it would just look like I lightly blew my hair out.

Nonie

@BklynHeart I have never had a texturizer but IMO it's just like a relaxer or any other chemical process. If done right and if your hair is in good health to start with, then breakage shouldn't become an issue.

Texturizers just don't straighten hair fully but work the same way a texlaxing, whereby a relaxer is applied for a shorter time than the directions call for so that hair isn't fully straight. Only thing that would make me feel more comfy about using a texturizer than texlaxing is with texlaxing, you sort of have to guess how soon to wash off the chemical to stop further breakdown. I believe texturizers are created in such a way that their strength just isn't enough to fully straighten your hair, so no guessing necessary, but you'd just follow directions. (I'm a stickler for following directions.)

In short, a texturizer done right on healthy hair should be no different from a texlax done right. And I do know someone who had a texlax and hair down to her waist: *Happily Me* So no apparent breakage there.

BklynHeart

^^ Thanks Nonie!! If my hair could look like HappilyMe's I'll be straight!:grin:
That would be the best of both worlds.

Lynnerie

^^Happily Me has some gorgeous hair. If I were you I'd PM her and do more research. I say this because I know that she is now natural now. Also...Have you thought of keeping your hair in stretched styles to combat the knots? I know I had an issue with knots and I decided to start straightening more often and that has helped tremendously. I don't get knots anymore.

asakeba

I texlaxed/textuzied my hair (by accident) and my hair is also on the thin side and it's 4b. phew, what a sentence. anyhoo, I also struggle with breakage but the two things that work really well for me is Care Free Curl Instant Moisturizer and mango butter. Care Free Curl Instant Moisturizer strengthens my hair as it has protein and glycerin and mango butter penetrates my hair strands. Both combined make for a nice braid out and don't make my hair tangled.

lana

The only reason I did not use a "Texturizer" is that I didn't want to never be able to "Texlax"...I went with Texlaxing because it's the best of both worlds for me.

In hindsight, I probably would have stayed natural if I had the smoothing conditioners, techniques and knowledge that I now have.

Research, research, research. Overall I'm a happy Texlaxed 4A/B head.

Nonie

The only reason I did not use a "Texturizer" is that I didn't want to never be able to "Texlax"...I went with Texlaxing because it's the best of both worlds for me.

In hindsight, I probably would have stayed natural if I had the smoothing conditioners, techniques and knowledge that I now have.

@lana, can you explain the bold? If you texlaxed or texturized, you wouldn't be able to do the other so you'd sorta have to keep the one you picked. Or did you mean to say you didn't want to never be able to relax fully straight should you change your mind?

Nonie

yeah, i am confused. i thought texturize and texlax were the same thing since they are weak relaxers.

sweetlaughter, I think the results look the same too, but where they differ is one is achieved by using a product that is labeled "texturizer" and whose directions are specifically for a slight loosening of curls; while the other is achieved by disregarding the directions on the box and using less time than requested also in order to slightly loosen curls.

Where I was confused is since the results of both are similar, what did lala mean she did one because she didn't want to never do the other...since I'd think the same rules would apply whichever you picked.

grownnsexy

this post is RITEEE on time! lol i am thinking of putting a texturizer in my hair soon also (currently natural 4a). Im on a search to see any other texlaxed/texturized 4a hair members&post(hopefully w/ wet pics also). bumpin^^^

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
A texturizer is weaker than a texlax. A texlax is when you use a relaxer for less time. You can get your hair strait with this by a roller set or with less heat. A texturizer is just for a slight loosen of the curl. Your hair is should take about the same time as your natural hair as far as heat use goes.

Last edited:

prospurr4

I'm 4b, texlaxed for over 5 years. I'm very happy with my hair; never had any issues. I agree with lana...it's the best of both worlds!

LaFemmeNaturelle

sweetlaughter, I think the results look the same too, but where they differ is one is achieved by using a product that is labeled "texturizer" and whose directions are specifically for a slight loosening of curls; while the other is achieved by disregarding the directions on the box and using less time than requested also in order to slightly loosen curls.

Where I was confused is since the results of both are similar, what did lala mean she did one because she didn't want to never do the other...since I'd think the same rules would apply whichever you picked.

Nonie Just wanted you to know you mentioned the wrong person.....again:lachen:
It's "lana"

MissDarcei

I'm a 3b/3c but I have been texturized for 7 years and have never experienced any breakage. I think that, if done right, no chemical process should break your hair. I love my texturizer it really does help with the tangles and I get to keep my big curly hair. I know I need a touch up when my comb glides through the rest of my hair but gets stuck at the roots lol

Nonie

A texturizer is weaker than a texlax. A texlax is when you use a relaxer for less time. You can get your hair strait with this by a roller set or with less heat. A texturizer is just for a slight loosen of the curl. Your hair is should take about the same time as your natural hair as far as heat use goes.

DDTexlaxed that is not necessarily true. The extent to which one texlaxes depends on how long they leave the relaxer on. If they rinse it off within minutes of putting it on, it may not even break bonds to the point of a texturizer. It is true that one may fully straighten hair when trying to texlax because there's no guideline on how quickly hair may respond so one could easily leave it on too long and end up with straight hair. But if one was too chicken to leave relaxer on, one may wash off before it's even done a thing and therefore get less results than one would get leaving a texturizer on for as long as instructions say.

grownnsexy

I'm a 3b/3c but I have been texturized for 7 years and have never experienced any breakage. I think that, if done right, no chemical process should break your hair. I love my texturizer it really does help with the tangles and I get to keep my big curly hair. I know I need a touch up when my comb glides through the rest of my hair but gets stuck at the roots lol
What kind of texturizer do u use? ur hair is beautifullllll(roll the L's lol :lachen:)

BklynHeart

^^Happily Me has some gorgeous hair. If I were you I'd PM her and do more research. I say this because I know that she is now natural now. Also...Have you thought of keeping your hair in stretched styles to combat the knots? I know I had an issue with knots and I decided to start straightening more often and that has helped tremendously. I don't get knots anymore.

Thanks! I usually keep my hair braided when washing, let it dry that way and its either in twists, buns or a french braid. but no matter what I'll still find knots. I may have to start straightening my hair as well, maybe a light blowout when my hair is almost dry.

beans4reezy

Texturized 4b checking in!

No issues with breakage- in fact, my hair has gotten stronger since I grew out my bone straight relaxed hair and opted for the texturizer. Texturizing my hair was a great move for me- just make sure you stay on top of your moisture game.

BklynHeart

Texturized 4b checking in!

No issues with breakage- in fact, my hair has gotten stronger since I grew out my bone straight relaxed hair and opted for the texturizer. Texturizing my hair was a great move for me- just make sure you stay on top of your moisture game.
beans4reezy, oooh, good to know! what kind do you use?

Nonie

@LaFemmeNaturelle and @Nonie - you guys are hilarious. I did not mind.

Actually lana it was YOU I that I meant to refer to, not lana so it was she I was apologizing to.

Anyway, I had asked you a question w/r/t this statement:

@lana, can you explain the bold? If you texlaxed or texturized, you wouldn't be able to do the other so you'd sorta have to keep the one you picked. Or did you mean to say you didn't want to never be able to relax fully straight should you change your mind?

lana

I meant that to my knowledge if you Texturize...you will need to cut that hair off before you can Relax or Texlax (use a relaxer to underprocess).

Texturized hair and Relaxed hair can't be on the same head without major breakage. Again, this is just "to my knowledge".

If that's wrong, please let us know, it might help someone else.

I did not mind being confused with Lala. :)

beans4reezy

I meant that to my knowledge if you Texturize...you will need to cut that hair off before you can Relax or Texlax (use a relaxer to underprocess).

Texturized hair and Relaxed hair can't be on the same head without major breakage. Again, this is just "to my knowledge".

If that's wrong, please let us know, it might help someone else.

I did not mind being confused with Lala. :)

Not necessarily. In my case - I had three textures- natural, texturized, and bone straight and I didn't suffer from major breakage. But I was very diligient with my protien at that time. Every week, faithfully, I applied Aphogee 2 min Keratin Reconstructor. Then I applied a conditioner for moisture. On top of this, I PS'd a lot. My hair thrived. :yep:

Stormy

I had a texturizer and for about 6 months I loved it. It made my 4b hair surprisingly very curly and I had no breakage what so ever! Then as it got longer around six months it wasn't working as well for me. My hair needed something stronger so I went with texlaxing which was also working fine until I went to the salon for a touch-up. That's another story in itself, but from now on I'm staying away from any chemicals because as your hair gets long you always run the risk of not getting the hair evenly straight. Or, I should say for me at least, because other ladies never seem to have that problem.

HTH