Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

JudithO

I removed my mini twists last weekend and put in much bigger twists.. still wearing them in a low bun.... I prefer the mini twists but they take too long to redo... I just started taking Nioxin 1/day in the hopes that it helps with my edges.... Also.. a prepoo with yogurt and olive oil may be the best thing ive found for my hair yet..

koko22

I'm a lurker but I just wanted to share this pic. Mini-twists "pinned" up. I try to wear my twists for at least two weeks before rocking a twistout. I love this thread and I'm encouraged by all of you ladies. Thanks!

faithVA

I'm mad cos i've been really trying to do this challenge...but if I keep the twists in longer than a week at most my hair starts to lock. I've tried not washing, washing, i've tried twisting wet and twisting dry, twisting with and without product...no matter what I do within 6 days my hair starts to lock. At first I thought it was just tangling, but the two strands actually stick to each other as well as the hairs in the separate twists sticking together. I don't have time to twist and re-twist every 5 days so....i'm bowing out. Maybe I'll try twisting with extensions but since I'm also babying my hairline that won't be any time soon.

I thought my hair was type 4b now I dare anyone to tell me 4z doesn't exist :lachen:

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Transformer TF101

Sorry to see you go Miss_Cosmic. And I understand your frustration with twist. My hair does the same so I retwist every week. I have just gotten use to it and now I can twist in a little over an hour. Hope you find something that works for you.

faithVA

I'm a lurker but I just wanted to share this pic. Mini-twists "pinned" up. I try to wear my twists for at least two weeks before rocking a twistout. I love this thread and I'm encouraged by all of you ladies. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your style with us koko22. It looks really nice and you have so many twist. Looks great!

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I took out my twists, so I am no longer in this challenge. It's the end of the year, so I'm celebrating with 'out' styles.

I'll be updating with progress pics soon!

miss cosmic

Wow. miss cosmic do you wear a scarf at night! Not a bonnet, but a scarf. Maybe your hair is rubbing too much when you sleep.

pookaloo83 i wrap my hair with cling-wrap every night.

faithVA the amount of time i was spending with the twists in was not worth the amount of time i'd spend getting my hair ready to twist and twisting it. maybe when it gets longer i'll try again. instead of twists i now just do four big plaits with thread and re-do those 5 days. it takes me 10mins to re-do the plaits.

JustGROWwithIt

I don't think I'll be joining this challenge again next month. Although my hair does great in the twists I just don't "feel" great. I don't feel like they are very flattering on me. I prefer my hair out and curly. So I may occasionally do twists, but other than every once in a while I'll just have to find another low manipulation style for me. I will still be in twists the rest of this year, though.

Last edited:

LoveTheSkinImIn

I finally tried some kinda-mini-twists. I used water and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I braid the twists at night to sleep.

Last edited:

ecadnacmc

I'm out of the challenge also. I have a lot of holiday plans and I do not think that twists without extensions are attractive on me at all. I don't think I can post a start and end pic because I started the challenge twisting wet hair and the last pic I took was on stretched hair, Good luck ladies!

pookaloo83

I was so tempted to wear a twistout today! But I'm holding on! :lol: I can't wait till this challenge is over!!!!! This is the only challenge I've ever stuck with. I'm proud of myself.

Ronnieaj

I'm still in my twists as well, though I make no promises for Christmas and New Year's :look:. I've got another week in these, and they're holding up pretty well. I plan to continue this into the new year, alternating between twists and buns, but definitely PSing. Now that I know I can make the twists last for 3 weeks at a time, I feel more comfortable that my wrists can hold up to the twisting :yep:.

youwillrise

Ill be living in twists and braids through next year, too...now, I think I'm just paranoid about wearing my hair out haha...I never have luck with "out" styles...but I do like the idea of still being able to have hair that I can wear "out" once in a blue...just once every few months or so lol

Reminiscing

I don't get to post much but I'm still in! Currently in mini twists. Plan to keep these in till New Years, then wear my hair out for a week before twisting again.

My hair has grown a lot since starting this challenge in September. I haven't been much of a picture taker this year so I have no update pics but I plan to do better for the 2012 challenge.

faithVA

For those still in the challenge, there was no designated end date. So the end date was not designated to be 12/31, it was just sometime in December. And whenever you decide that end date is just take your final picture. I knew when I started that people needed to end at various times due to other challenges.

So if you need to stop before 12/31 go ahead. Just take your ending pic when you do and post your results.

faithVA

For those rolling into the next challenge with me, I am still thinking about the guidelines.

What do you think of a twist, braid, bun challenge vs. a twist and braid challenge. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I dont think they are doing a bunning 2012 challenge. Some where going to HYH 2012.

Just thinking about. Now that I'm writing it I'm not sure why :lol:

Ronnieaj

faithVA, if you include bunning its on and poppin! I am DOWN for the cause :yep:. The week I don't twist is the week I bun, so yeah, it's all good.

I think one of the big differences with this challenge and HYH (which I'm also in) is that this one really focuses on working with your own hair, not relying on extensions, wigs, weaves, etc. I don't think there's ANYTHING wrong with the latter, but it's nice to have to learn different ways of styling your own hair and keeping it protected as well, so both challenges have their purpose.

discodumpling

I'm definitely down with adding bunning. It's what I do when not in twists anyway!

Just finished a set of mini twists. I'll keep them as long as my scalp says so:yep:

pookaloo83

For some reason I don't have enough hair to pull in a bun. at least it doesn't seem like it. Well thanks for letting us know there's no end date! Next week will be my last week and I will post pics. Next week Thurs to be exact will be my last day.

JustGROWwithIt

ecadnacmc I understand not feeling attractive in twists. I feel the same way! I'll wear them the rest of this month but I don't know how often I'll be wearing them after this challenge is over.

JustGROWwithIt

faithVA
I am down if you add bunning to the rules! I plan to be alternating between twists and buns anyway so this will be perfect for me. How long is the next challenge scheduled to go for?

faithVA

Thanks for your feedback ladies.

pookaloo83, I can't get my hair into a bun either but I like options :lol: I may not be able to wear a bun in January but maybe by the end of February. Who knows?

I am going to do quarterly challenges and we will see how it goes. So the next phase will be Jan 1 - March 31. I will see where I am and how many ladies are rolling with me to see if I do a next phase.

Ronnieaj, I agree about the HYH. Nothing against it. I just think we learn more about our hair when we aren't hiding it. And we can share more when its our hair. I don't really have the personality to hide my hair for that long even if someone told me that it would be down to my butt when I finished.

-PYT

On my last stretch of doing these mini twists...i'm determined to finish tonight. It's been 9 hours total so far. Will keep these in for a month at the least. Will post pics when finished.

ETA:
Shoutout to Nonie...made a conscious effort to not twist with anything this time. I'll keep these as long as possible. Gonna be traveling for 16 days! Happy Holidays, ladies! They took 11 hrs :look:

Attachments

• Photo 9.jpg
    Photo 9.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Photo 11.jpg
    Photo 11.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

faithVA

On my last stretch of doing these mini twists...i'm determined to finish tonight. It's been 9 hours total so far. Will keep these in for a month at the least. Will post pics when finished.

ETA:
Shoutout to @Nonie...made a conscious effort to not twist with anything this time. I'll keep these as long as possible. Gonna be traveling for 16 days! Happy Holidays, ladies! They took 11 hrs :look:

Let us know how it works out.

faithVA

I DCd over night, rinsed, applied Zuresh Leave-In, let it air dry, applied Zuresh-Leave-In again, then applied Zuresh Detangler and 2 strand twisted.

I tried 3 strand twist in the back but the hair seems very soft in the back so I don't think its going to hold any better.

My twists look good but I checked out my crown and I still need to have the hair fill in more to wear my twists comfortable. I can tell no matter how long my twists get, I won't be able to wear my hair loose with the hari thin in that area.

Going to seal the ends with shea butter before I go to bed.

pookaloo83

I'm bowing out guys. I took my twists out today and rocked a twistout. Got so many compliments! Anyway, I'm calling it quits. I'll post comparison pics tomorrow. Even though I don't think I have any.

faithVA

Hi Ladies, It's December and the challenge ends this month on whichever date you choose to end it. Thank you for hanging out with me. It went fairly quickly :look: And if you want to continue on the new challenge thread is up. It is now a twist/braid/bun challenge.

Please post your starting, mid-point(if you took one) and ending pic between today and December 31st. We would love to see some wonderful twist, braids, twist outs or whatever HAIR you want to show us.

If you dropped out please forgive me for adding you to the list. It's hard to track who is still with us and who is not.

TIA

NappyNelle, Sesi, Sianna, Seamonster, youwillrise, judy4all, OndoGirl
sikora, PaigeJessica, Krystle~Hime, NaijaNaps, SouthernStunner, Iluvsmuhgrass, 13StepsAhead, FroFab, MaraWithLove, catt86
LaBelleLL, ecadnacmc, PYT, lolascurls, LOVEs_Harmony, discodumpling
lovenharmony, pookaloo83, Imoan, Kenny-Ann, that1girl, SimJam
Bublin, Reminiscing, adamson, ladykpnyc, YoursTrulyRE
Ronnieaj, Poutchi, Victoria44, Tibbar, DDTexlaxed, septemberbaby
thecurlycamshow

cocosweet

faithVA,

I don't know if I ever officially joined. I think I just kinda butted in. My hair is in about a dozen twists after this morning's detangling session. Once I wash and DC, I think I'll straighten for my year end assessment.

faithVA

@faithVA,

I don't know if I ever officially joined. I think I just kinda butted in. My hair is in about a dozen twists after this morning's detangling session. Once I wash and DC, I think I'll straighten for my year end assessment.

I don't know either cocosweet. I really didn't do so well tracking challengers this quarter :ohwell: I'm all over the place :lol:

But please share your pics anyway. We aren't going to know the difference :lol: