Twist/Braid/Bun For Growth Challenge 7/1/13 - 9/30/13

@DDTexlaxed that's good. What is your hair type? IS the name of the product Co-Wash- Deep Conditioner. If so it sounds good n rich.

The product is from Pantene'sTruly Natural Line. They have a co wash Conditioner,Clarifying shampoo, and Deep Conditioner. all 3 products are thick and creamy. I'm no longer looking for good shampoo/conditioner. I found it! I think my hair is a mix of 3c/4a. I am not sure. This line from Pantene is by no means "natural", though. There are cones in it. However, I have never really cared about that kind of thing. The way it melted my tangles and knots were short of amazing. I started off using the Clarifying Shampoo, which got my hair clean, but not stripped. I also could not believe how gentle it felt on my hair. I usually use Shea Moisture or Kinky Curly Come clean. Both of these wreak havoc on my hair. I then used the Deep Conditioner which made my curls pop. I then finger detangled for the first time ever! No tangles or knots. I smoothed down my hair and detangled in 4 sections. I could not believe it. I tried something I never did before. I used the co wash conditioner too. :lachen: My hair did not get tangled again! Then I twisted my hair. I used AV shea Amla and the AV Hibiscus oil. My hair has never felt or looked so moisturized.The Pantene Truly Natural line helped me so much! I got them 2 for 7 $ in Rite Aide! I originally found the co wash conditioner at Family Dollar. After watching You Tube videos on it, I found out about this line. I'm glad I did!

Last edited:
Would you guys wear Bantu knots as a style? I think they look really cute but never see people wearing them except for this girl on that new Netflix show orange is the new black. They call her crazy eyes lol :/

I've done bantu knots one time back in the one year range....haven't really thought about them since lol.

ok, so I'm back from vacation and I desperately need to get back on track lol. I've definitely enjoyed my hair but now it's time to get back to business. I plan on doing an oil scalp massage and m&s my ends then doing two flat twists and leaving it like that for 2-3 days.

Last edited:
I feel like such a slacker. I just updated my OP with my info and pic. Went out of town and dealing with split ends has me in a cloud :nono: But I'm determined to figure out how to baby them properly.

I so want to be a part of this challenge even though I stink at challenges. Although I have length my hair is not thick or dense so my twists look anemic. Although I have a decent length my buns don't look so neat or full. Maybe I'm just style challenged. I'd love to find that perfect one or two or three styles and just roll with them. I usually do a twist out then pin up the back and sides.

i think bantu knots are cute. i just dont think i could pull it off on a day to day basis. they remind me of this time when my male cousin had me put all these puffs in his head. he looked like he was covered in black cotton balls....but he thought it was cute

saturday i washed, dc, and retwsited my hair and pinned it back up. this challenge came at a good time. im so bored with my hair. putting it away so that i cant bother it is probably for the best.
i was meaning to do a henna treatment but didnt have the time. it was already mixed and everything and i was just all like *** this noise.

I've been bunning instead of braiding my hair up. The lazy bug got me, lol. I M&S every morning and seal with my Shea butter concoction before I bun my hair. I take my bun down in the evening, then braid it into one celie. It has been so hot in VA as of late! Moisturizing in the morning has helped a lot.

I so want to be a part of this challenge even though I stink at challenges. Although I have length my hair is not thick or dense so my twists look anemic. Although I have a decent length my buns don't look so neat or full. Maybe I'm just style challenged. I'd love to find that perfect one or two or three styles and just roll with them. I usually do a twist out then pin up the back and sides.

You should join us! I have a few styles saved on my phone of random photos from the web ill post them for style inspiration !

I've been bunning instead of braiding my hair up. The lazy bug got me, lol. I M&S every morning and seal with my Shea butter concoction before I bun my hair. I take my bun down in the evening, then braid it into one celie. It has been so hot in VA as of late! Moisturizing in the morning has helped a lot.

What's your Shea mix? I just bought some but I'm not sure how I want to use it yet. Your regimen sounds super simple and easy I love it lol

i think bantu knots are cute. i just dont think i could pull it off on a day to day basis. they remind me of this time when my male cousin had me put all these puffs in his head. he looked like he was covered in black cotton balls....but he thought it was cute

Lol as long as he liked it I guess. Question how do we do smilies from the app ?

Protectivestyles on ig have a lot of pretty styles featured

Attachments

• image-2513766178.jpg
    image-2513766178.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image-1001430829.jpg
    image-1001430829.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image-3275152672.jpg
    image-3275152672.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image-1048357116.jpg
    image-1048357116.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 22
  • image-358566253.jpg
    image-358566253.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 21
  • image-2989784308.jpg
    image-2989784308.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image-2840005092.jpg
    image-2840005092.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 22
  • image-19402841.jpg
    image-19402841.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 16
  • image-1992824026.jpg
    image-1992824026.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 19
  • image-930874985.jpg
    image-930874985.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image-3046800725.jpg
    image-3046800725.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Would you guys wear Bantu knots as a style? I think they look really cute but never see people wearing them except for this girl on that new Netflix show orange is the new black. They call her crazy eyes lol :/

Hahaha I love that show, but anyways. I think they are a cute style to wear. I have never worn them out, but my daughter has. Her teachers love when I do her hair like that because they think its adorable.

Hahaha I love that show, but anyways. I think they are a cute style to wear. I have never worn them out, but my daughter has. Her teachers love when I do her hair like that because they think its adorable.

It's a great show lol so addictive!! And they aree adorable

What's your Shea mix? I just bought some but I'm not sure how I want to use it yet. Your regimen sounds super simple and easy I love it lol

I melt down shea butter and mix with the following oils: grapeseed, olive, and avocado. Then I let it solidify on its own. A L little oil will separate from the shea butter, so I'll mix it back in. The oils make the shea butter more creamy and easier to absorb.

Moisturized my twist with HQ Greaseless Moisture and then sealed with Qhemet Twist Butter. Hopefully that will be enough until wash day.

End of week two for this set of twists. I'm tired of usual pin up style so I did a quick tucked under ponytail and a roll, tuck and pin for the front.

I've been moisturizing with Hydrotherma Naturals growth lotion.

Attachments

• image-1940728328.jpg
    image-1940728328.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 39
  • image-4096968891.jpg
    image-4096968891.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 27
I moisturized with HH Soft Coconut Marshmallow and sealed with Sweet Butter Pomade. Then baggied with some Njoy's growth oil. My hair feels amazing. Put my hair up in this style. Will wear this for the next couple weeks.

ForumRunner_20130718_143713.jpg

ForumRunner_20130718_143755.jpg

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130718_143629.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130718_143629.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 21
This morning I did my scalp massage then detangle and twisted by sections with Hawaiian silky 14n1. To protect my ends and because of the heat I have my hair n two pony tails

20130718_143514_zpsce7ddcd8.jpg

Hawaiian silky 14n1 is great for detangling and taking out braids

I'm still bunning. Tomorrow is wash day. I don't know if I'll continue to bun or finally braid my hair up. Decisions man!

just oiling my scalp with my growth aid for the next 2 weeks. My hair is too fuzzy to deal with CW/DC'ing/washing right now. She just wants to be left alone.

i guess i'm joining this challenge since I've now gotten braids.

anyway, someone help please. I just cowashed my hair and found that hte conditioner isn't getting out of my twists. now it looks gross. i have tried washing it out twice. :(

i guess i'm joining this challenge since I've now gotten braids.

anyway, someone help please. I just cowashed my hair and found that hte conditioner isn't getting out of my twists. now it looks gross. i have tried washing it out twice. :(

Maybe if you rinse again, squeeze them really good and then just let them dry? Maybe it'll fade. Idk :/ it probably doesn't look as bad as you think tho

Here are my twists from last week. They look exactly the same this week so I will use the same picture for this week :look: Nothing special but hopefully I will see some good progress by the end of September. :pray:

TwistWk1Fr (459x485).jpg

TwistWk1Lft (367x373).jpg

TwistWk1Rt (368x306).jpg

I'm going to drop out of the challenge. Wash n'gos have called me back, and it's just the way I prefer dealing with my hair. I'll still be lurking in this thread though :grin:.

Sooo. . . My wash n'go lovin' was short lived :lol:! I've been bunning for about 3 days, and I would like to continue PSing. Could I rejoin the challenge :blush: ? I'm taking down my hair tomorrow because it's so frizzy, but I don't plan on wearing it out. I'm thinking of doing flattwists in the front and a bun, a regular bun, or 2 flattwists. Whatever style, it needs to be fast because I have a ton of classwork to finish before the end of the month.

This hot weather cured me of desiring to wash n go. I am now adding an extra challenge. I am using Qhemet products only,with the exception of shampoo. I love the heavy cream and twist butter. My hair feels amazingly soft and moisturized.:yep:

Sooo. . . My wash n'go lovin' was short lived :lol:! I've been bunning for about 3 days, and I would like to continue PSing. Could I rejoin the challenge :blush: ? I'm taking down my hair tomorrow because it's so frizzy, but I don't plan on wearing it out. I'm thinking of doing flattwists in the front and a bun, a regular bun, or 2 flattwists. Whatever style, it needs to be fast because I have a ton of classwork to finish before the end of the month.

Lol of course!! I find 2 flat twists or two braids are my go to now

Lol of course!! I find 2 flat twists or two braids are my go to now

Yay!! Thank you :grin:. Last night I spritzed my hair with Aphogee ProVitamin leave-in, smoothed on a little bit of condish, and twisted up my hair. I still haven't figured out how to not get little knots at the ends of my twists. There's also hairs that hang off the ends that catches on the ends of other twists and tangles up :perplexed. Any suggestions for this problem?

Back