Trick of the trade: Do you soak your ponytail holders in oil/levae-in???

Divine Inspiration

I started doing this about 3 months ago, and it has been working ~very~ well. I have a little tupperware bowl that has EVOO in it. I leave my ponytail holders in it, and then squeeze them out before I pony my hair up. When I use these, I get NO breakage from the pony!!! :D It really gets me excited because this used to be a huge problem for me so I stayed away from the ponytails.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a bun challenge goin on so I thought this may help some of those ladies & of course, the blessed Christmas Stretch Club members. :lol:

Does anyone else do this???? :look:

BLESSED1

I used to do this awhile ago when someone posted here about the benefits of that, gonna try to start up again

secretdiamond

I do this whenever I remember or when I feel like my hair is on the weak side. I'd put them in a small plastic zip lock though with jojoba. I normally don't get breakage from the pony holders though, but it's always better to be safe than sorry. I'm glad this was bumped so I can be better about doing this.

tallygirl

I'm a newbie, and I've been doing this since someone posted it several weeks ago. I sure can testify to the fact that it really does prevent breakage.

Isis

Yes indeed! ;) I learned this trick when I first came to LHCF and learned how to rollerset, namely ponytail rollersets. I would soak Scunci Hair Hosiery in olive oil (briefly though so they are not dripping) before using them.

I now spray these ponytail holders with EVOO spray, which also works very well. :yep:

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
Yeah, me too with a slight variation. I don't use elastic ponytail holders anymore. I cut the black "rope" - you know the ones that are attached to shoppping bags from upscale boutiques. I detach them and have been using them for ages (I have loads). Now after LHCF advice, I soak them in EVOO and tie my hair up for a pony/bun. It works very well.

Sweetcoco82

What kind of pony tail holders are you soaking. Could someone post a pic of what you are using? I use those big scrunchies. Those would be too big to soak in olive oil. I have been meaning to buy some silk ones.

maryj1584

i use cut up panty hose, it works better for me than the evoo scrunchie, I just cut up some old pantyhose and it forms little loops, it really helps cut back breakage when your pony holder does not break you hair.

Isis

Sweetcoco82 said:
What kind of pony tail holders are you soaking. Could someone post a pic of what you are using? I use those big scrunchies. Those would be too big to soak in olive oil. I have been meaning to buy some silk ones.
I use the soft, Scunci Hair Hosiery bands, soaked or sprayed with EVOO. They come in various colors and say "Touch Me" or something like that on the package so one can feel how soft and smooth the fabric is. The thickness of the band is about 1/4 inch.