Tree Braids?

PPGbubbles

I havent heard good things about tree braids! The problem is that some of your hair is left exposed so it defeats the purpose of braids. Braids usually protect the ends of your hair and that is not the case with this style

perhaps look into curly weaves or braided weave combo styles....

I work out a lot and that is why I PS I would hate for you to have a set back because if your anything like me you need to rinse your hair often after workouts.

jayjaycurlz

I just heard you've got be careful with your edges and nape since the cornrows will pull on your baby hairs, especially if the braider installs the too tight.

Slave4Hair

I've had great success with tree braids. I usually opted for sew ins but after awhile noticed my hair started to thin out. I ended up cutting about 3 inches of my hair off and discovered tree braids shortly after. I never experienced any breakage and the stress on my hair has been significantly less than that of sew in weaves! I am nearly back at bra strap again after wearing them for about a year. I love them! As with any style if your edges are braided to tightly it's possible to experience damage but I personally never have.I just wish they weren't so expensive :ohwell:.

chocolat79

Just got out of tree braids. Accidentally cut my hair off in the back! Boo!!! I will be doing weaves from now on! Yes, it's my fault, but still annoyed..ahh well, hoping to still be SL by June...this sucks. :nono:

Slave4Hair

I havent heard good things about tree braids! The problem is that some of your hair is left exposed so it defeats the purpose of braids. Braids usually protect the ends of your hair and that is not the case with this style

perhaps look into curly weaves or braided weave combo styles....

I work out a lot and that is why I PS I would hate for you to have a set back because if your anything like me you need to rinse your hair often after workouts.

Maybe there are different types? None of my hair is ever left out when I get them. They look similar to the picture in the link below where all my hair is braided into cornrows and weave hangs loosely from each cornrow. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/naturale/nappy bush braids/th_treebraides039-vi.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/loaner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.pngfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/loaner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

Vashti

I've had tree braids before. I didn't notice as much breakage with them as I did with other types of braids.

beebstt

personally not a fan of tree braids. mine were too tight and not too well done so i ended up taking it out after about 1-2 weeks. sew ins are wayyy better. half wigs are good too as are regular braids. if u decide to get em, have someone who is professional do them, not somebody you get off of craigslist like i did

nc cutie

Just got out of tree braids. Accidentally cut my hair off in the back! Boo!!! I will be doing weaves from now on! Yes, it's my fault, but still annoyed..ahh well, hoping to still be SL by June...this sucks. :nono:

I had the same thing happen when I took out a straight weave. I lost some hair, thats why I was considering these tree braids.

nc cutie

personally not a fan of tree braids. mine were too tight and not too well done so i ended up taking it out after about 1-2 weeks. sew ins are wayyy better. half wigs are good too as are regular braids. if u decide to get em, have someone who is professional do them, not somebody you get off of craigslist like i did

Thanks for the warning Beebstt. I was just looking at craigslist.:nono: If I decide to get tree braids I will go to a professional.

LovingLengths

Personally, I like tree braids. I can keep my hair underneath moisturized better because of the smaller rows and hair can breathe better. I have gotten them done two times and actually have fresh ones in now. Remember, they are basically cornrows, so damage is according to how tightly they are done and whether or not the hair was cared for. I grease my edges in the afternoon and right before bed. I also oil my scalp with a lightweight oil.

Attachments

• SuperStarz Aug09 030.jpg
    SuperStarz Aug09 030.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 58
  • SuperStarz Aug09 039.jpg
    SuperStarz Aug09 039.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 56
  • SuperStarz Aug09 036 2.jpg
    SuperStarz Aug09 036 2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Feburary Tree Braids 2010 003 crop.jpg
    Feburary Tree Braids 2010 003 crop.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Feburary Tree Braids 2010 001 resize.jpg
    Feburary Tree Braids 2010 001 resize.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 59

My-Foolish-Heart

I've had tree braids before and I've never had any issues. I am able to apply my oils to my scalp 3x a week as well as a dry shampoo and diluted conditioner once a week and I never had any issues with excessive breakage around the edges or thinning. I personally like them because depending on the type of hair you get, there isn't too much maintanence required and you have the same effect as a sew in.

TamedTresses

I have heard of tree braids and I always thought they were similar to micros until one of the above posters said they were like cornrows. I just went to YouTube to check out a how to video and it appears that it would be a good PS style.

PPGbubbles

Maybe there are different types? None of my hair is ever left out when I get them. They look similar to the picture in the link below where all my hair is braided into cornrows and weave hangs loosely from each cornrow. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/naturale/nappy bush braids/th_treebraides039-vi.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/loaner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.pngfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/loaner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

Thanks for posting this... What I saw were more like Individuals with the hair coming out along the length of the braid and the girls ends were fried at the end.

what you posted looks something like crochet braids to me. is there a way to style without the cornrows showing in the front? or does it just appear that way because the hair is lifted

do you have any pics of ur tree braid styles? I am intrigued

BlackMasterPiece

I've never had em but I absolutely love this style and wanna try it out on someone! The cornrow treebraids seem like such a great protective style, however I would want the cornrows to be completely concealed I dont like the way alot of them start out with the braids showing in the front so when I do this thats what I'll change:yep:

My-Foolish-Heart

All of the tree braid styles that I have seen done start out with the cornrows showing in the front. I don't think there's any way to change that.

supermodelsonya

THat's all I wear are tree braids. NONE Of your hair is left out...well that is the way MY stylist does them. My hair grows perfectly fine with them.

Last edited:

nc cutie

Personally, I like tree braids. I can keep my hair underneath moisturized better because of the smaller rows and hair can breathe better. I have gotten them done two times and actually have fresh ones in now. Remember, they are basically cornrows, so damage is according to how tightly they are done and whether or not the hair was cared for. I grease my edges in the afternoon and right before bed. I also oil my scalp with a lightweight oil.

Yours look great. It looks like a get up and go style. A stylist from Atlanta will be in the DMV in two weeks. If I get them done I will post pics.

naturalmanenyc

Tree braids are very similar to crochet braids, except with tree braids the loose extension hair is braided into the cornrow as it's being created. With crochet braids the cornrows are done first and then the extension hair crocheted in.

My issue with tree braids, I had them done twice (hot mess - do not use craiglist), is how to conceal the ends of the cornrows at the base of the neck?
http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/tree-braids/

With crochet braids, it's easy to sew the ends of the cornrows upward & then tack them down with thread. The cornrows are then covered with extension hair.

loose cornrows

cornrows tacked down - updo styles are possible

I have yet to see that same result with tree braids....but rather a tail of braided up cornrows at the base of the neck.

TemiLnd

I have done tree braids before - see my fotki. I have had no issues with them. Research your braider before hand and none of your hair should be left out.