Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I peeked. And I'm feeling SO much better. My thickness is crazy awesome. And now that my hair is dry more often, the shrinkage had me wondering if my hair was going backwards. I'm amazed at how much shrinkage I actually get. This is all new to me. I'd better check my hair more often just to keep myself encouraged that I'm still on track. :yep:

WriterGirl

ready2gro How long have you had your braids?

I'm SO looking forward to my getting my sengalese twist braids. I need a break. Me and this transitioning hair been at it for over a year. But then I may get tired of them too.

A856

:wave: hi ladies!

I've been mini-chopped twice already. The first time about 3-4 inches and the second time 2 weeks ago, about 1 1/2 inches. Even with all the chopping I'm still a little past APL in the back. I'm probably going to go ahead and chop another couple of inches this weekend :grin:

My friends and co-workers are all saying the same thing: Women out here would love to have hair as long and thick as yours and here you go chopping it all off :rolleyes:

I'm soooo tired of hearing that. I just want to :hammer::buttkick:.

I love my coils...the more and more I transition over I think my hair type is 4a but I'm not to sure.
Come June I may chop a few more inches...MAYBE if not then definitely at the end of the year.

Rae81

I think I have heat damage on one side of my hair. It was straight and now it has a lil wave to it but its not curly like the other side or the hair right below it. Is there any way to fix it. My hair looks funny to me when I do a wet but because one side is wavy and the other side is straight.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Today makes 21 weeks and Monday will be five months. It has actually been relatively easy so far. I guess if I weren't being so lazy and washed my own hair more often myself I would encounter more problems. :look:

Shinka

Just hitting 3 months. It hasn't been hard and I a DIYer. But I hate my beautiful flat irons don't last past a day since I sweat in my head. My hair is too short for a decent pony but it's getting there. My bob hairstyle is growing out and I am maintaining my relaxed ends.

I don't know what to do once my postpartum 6 weeks is over and I'm working out regularly as shrinkage is a B. I may have to try extension braids. I am not liking my braid and twist outs.

Trying to be patient and work with and not against my hair. All this is tough with a newborn.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

JJamiah

I am 10 months into my transition. Right now I am in braids under a wig. :grin:

I will continue to do this until September, removing my braids once Every 3 weeks. Trimming every 4 months, my next trim is this month. I will get it once I break these braids down.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I finally washed my hair today. :look: Actually I co-washed it for the first time in a really long time and I did a wash n go for the first time since last summer. I can clearly see my natural texture(s) and I am SO EXCITED! I will have the best wash n go after my transition! :woot: Which, by the way, will be for a nice, long time because a TWA is not for me. I pulled my hair back to see how it would look on me and, um, :nono:

JJamiah

I am going to try my hand at crochet braids. Most likely next month so I can redo for July if I really like them.

I'd leave them in 4 weeks, then remove!

newbeginnings2010

Washed my hair yesterday and tries a new protective style: individual plaits in the back and braids in the front. Check out my blog post for pics. LHCF is acting funny about posting my pics for some reason. I'll try again to attach them later. Going to try to hold on to this style for 2-3 weeks if possible. Probably won't have much of a choice seeing as I'm 41 weeks pregnant and getting ready for an induction soon, lol.

I plan on curling them and using a flower to accent the style.

Last edited:

Shinka

I may go buy some hair tomorrow and put in some individual extensions. I washed my hair today and the roots after detangling laid down nicely. The creamy crack is calling me because I am getting frustrated with my hair taking so long to style. I miss easy roller sets and pin curls.

I think my frustration is mainly due to not having enough hair for a decent ponytail. So I can't use a phony pony or wear a bun. I can gather my hair into two anorexic pigtails to put some tension on roots for air drying.

It's a process and I need something that is manageable with the baby. I am trying my best not to abuse my FHI flatiron or cause heat damage :(

Sadly the lazy part of me doesn't feel taking 2-3 days to braid either lol...sigh #newmommytransitioningblues

Last edited:

newbeginnings2010

@Shinka
I wish there were a thread for new mommy transitioners. I think I'm going to need one too. I like my new current transitioning style, but I'm not sure I'm going to have the energy to do it once my little one gets here. You should start a blog! That is if you can find the energy and time. You could help a lot of future new mommy transitioners. I think we can benefit from each other's triumphs AND mistakes.

Shinka

@Shinka
I wish there were a thread for new mommy transitioners. I think I'm going to need one too. I like my new current transitioning style, but I'm not sure I'm going to have the energy to do it once my little one gets here. You should start a blog! That is if you can find the energy and time. You could help a lot of future new mommy transitioners. I think we can benefit from each other's triumphs AND mistakes.

@newbeginnings2010

Yea I could probably write about how I took the baby monitor in the bathroom with me while I showered today and when the baby cried I quickly covered my hair with my ceramide conditioner and put on my conditioning cap before I ran out to tend to him. I figured I could get in a few "DC" minutes just in case I couldn't finish my shower as planned lol.

Luckily, his pacifier fell out of his mouth and he just needed it repositioned:spinning:. I got to finish my shower and hair washing. :lol:

Shinka

In two months, I grew an inch of hair... since March 4th. Yesterday I washed and air dried on two pigtails to stretch roots. I flat ironed it tonight with a few passes at the roots. Looks like I am retaining my relaxed ends since I started transitioning.

Excuse the nursing Bra lol

Attachments

• image-36767228.jpg
    image-36767228.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 49
  • image-3423253352.jpg
    image-3423253352.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
So far I have been surviving with the curly girl method. No shampoo. Just co wash. I deep condish once a week and co wash once a week. Hair is very manageable at ten months post.

I'm mostly bunning. I will probably blow dry and trim this weekend.

toyas08

The other day it looked like I had dread locks my relaxed hair was clumped together and was super dry. I don't know what's going on with my hair.

havilland

The other day it looked like I had dread locks my relaxed hair was clumped together and was super dry. I don't know what's going on with my hair.

What has helped me ALOT is taking a light weight oil like almond oil or jojoba oil and putting it in an applicator bottle and applying the oil to my roots once a week or so. I don't really put the oil on my scalp. I just just the oil to make my roots soften up. I wear a bun most of the time so I don't care if my hair is a little oily. Doing this keeps the new growth lubricated so it doesn't clump together. If you use a light oil, the oil absorbs into the hair after a few hours anyway.

Also, not using shampoo has helped me too. I deep condition once or twice a week and only use shampoo once a month or less. I only shampoo when I feel build up. Skipping the detergent has helped my hair stay moisturized and have less tangles.

Shinka

I worked out today- first time in 10 months due to pregnancy restrictions. Finally I am 6 weeks postpartum. I sweated out my press and flexi rod set. My roots thickened up since I sweat profusely fron my head.

I don't know if my transitioning goals are going to compliment my workout goals. I either will need to BC or perm. I don't want to pay for braids since the last two times my scalp broke out. I believe itcwas due to my pregnancy (sensitivity) but that's an expensive experiment.

Sigh decisions decisions. Only if I could bun, but my hair is not long enough yet :(

havilland

I worked out today- first time in 10 months due to pregnancy restrictions. Finally I am 6 weeks postpartum. I sweated out my press and flexi rod set. My roots thickened up since I sweat profusely fron my head.

I don't know if my transitioning goals are going to compliment my workout goals. I either will need to BC or perm. I don't want to pay for braids since the last two times my scalp broke out. I believe itcwas due to my pregnancy (sensitivity) but that's an expensive experiment.

Sigh decisions decisions. Only if I could bun, but my hair is not long enough yet :(

Maybe u could try twists. Or braid outs. I would encourage you to not try to wear straight styles, pressed styles or anything that works against your curls. Sweat is good! Workout as much as u can cus it makes your hair grow:)

Maybe a mini trim or check out some you tube styles to see if u can find an option.

I feel your pain. Being able to bun has made this way easier for me.

Hang in there and congrats on the baby:)

newbeginnings2010

26 weeks today! This was where I gave up last time. No sign of the same feelings. I'm motivated to get to the finish line! I posted an update of my hair here in my blog. It's called Transitioning with a Newborn Update. I will try to keep in contact here about once per week, but since I just had the little one, I might not make that. Keep up the good work ladies!

newbeginnings2010

Shinka

Congrats on the baby. Check out my style on my blog in my most recent post. Maybe it might be an option for you? I plan to keep my hair like this at least until I'm 6 weeks postpartum. It doesn't involve too much manipulation. You can wet your hair after workouts in this style and just rebraid section by section on wash day. I only plan on rebraiding the front every week and the rest every 3-4 weeks.

LivingDoll

My one year transitioning anniversary is Sunday. I have about 2 inches of relaxed ends left in some places (my hair was in a short 'do when I started). I'll post a pic next week.