Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

godzooki

These photos are from last night after I washed my hair. First pic is fresh from shower, no product. 47 wks post. My finger is at the demarcation where my new growth ends and relaxed hair begins. This is unstretched.

And stretched. Man, shrinkage is a mother!

I used a blowdryer to straighten enough to retain some length and avoid tangles. This pic is from this morning.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
This made me LOL.....So are you bunning only....meaning no weaves or braids? Your hair looks nice.

I weave my hair up for about six months every year. But not for transitioning, for retention and to cut down on manipulation.

My last relaxer was july 2011. My hair was weaved up for the fall. I planned to relax when I took the weave out but then I decided not to. And here I am 47 weeks post'. I have been bunning, ponytailing and i straightened 2x this year.

I have been dealing with my new growth since march. The key for me has been finger combing, oiling and deep conditioning religiously. I only comb my hair with wide tooth comb once week or so in the shower on soaking wet, deep conditioned hair

Another key ----giving up how my hair used to look and accepting how she is now:grin:

MsDee14

So..I'm 27 weeks post and haven't experienced any noticeable extreme breakage...well, I thought I haven't!

So weird..as I was doing my normal wash routine, I found a small portion of my hair that is completely natural. No relaxed ends or nothing. It's also a little shorter than the rest of my new-growth.

I thought it could just be new hairs growing in, but it could very well be breakage.
Has this happened to anyone else?

Attachments

• DSCN5762.jpg
    DSCN5762.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 71

daviine

MsDee14 I have natural hair in the back of my head. I assumed the relaxed part just broke off. I'm just hoping that enough of my relaxed ends hold on until I am at a length I am comfortable with.

havilland

So..I'm 27 weeks post and haven't experienced any noticeable extreme breakage...well, I thought I haven't!

So weird..as I was doing my normal wash routine, I found a small portion of my hair that is completely natural. No relaxed ends or nothing. It's also a little shorter than the rest of my new-growth.

I thought it could just be new hairs growing in, but it could very well be breakage.
Has this happened to anyone else?

i only have this at my hairline in the front. a very small one inch piece of hair that broke off because i was trying to smooth my hair back into a bun. i won't do that anymore. the relaxed hair broke off. it's a very small piece and i know what i did wrong. no more brushes for me. if i have to smooth a piece down, i use a baby brush or just add some gel to that section.

other than that, i believe that low manipulation (no brush, no combing dry hair) and deep conditioning ALOT has kept me from having breakage.

JJamiah

Yay! :grin: I'm to the point that I actually forget what week it is and have to go back and count from my last update. I guess that's a good thing!

I don't keep track either, I just knew a few weeks ago I was at 42, so when I read your post I was figured I might have found a transition twin :giggle: I checked and I was RIGHT Yay.

It is a good thing though. Will soon be 52 weeks and closer to my 36 month transition.
godzooki how long do you plan on transitioning?

godzooki

Yay!!! I'm not sure how long I'll transition for...I didn't go into this planning to transition to natural. Just to stretch my relaxer beyond 16 wks. I never thought I'd last this long! My original goal was to reach bra strap and now that I finally did, I'm hesitant to cut off my relaxed ends. Since I normally keep it bunned or balled up anyway, it's really not in the way and I like having my length when I "attempt" to straighten or want to do fuller buns. I think I'm going to wait until I'm at least 36 months like you JJamiah and see where I am as far as natural length. How about you havilland?

havilland

JJamiah godzooki
My relaxed hair is texlaxed so the texture is not that different than my natural hair.
Im gonna go as long as I can and just trim my ends regularly. I'm not planning to do a big chop. I protect my ends like diamonds.:)

You both plan on cutting at 36 month?

JJamiah

@JJamiah @godzooki
My relaxed hair is texlaxed so the texture is not that different than my natural hair.
Im gonna go as long as I can and just trim my ends regularly. I'm not planning to do a big chop. I protect my ends like diamonds.:)

havilland definitely I am protecting my ends as well. I like styling options right now. I plan on cutting what is left over at my 36 months in. I am going to be trimming every 3-4 months.

havilland

@JJamiah ok. So we are def on the same wavelength. :). I really don't consider myself transitioning so to speak. I just stopped relaxing. It took me too long to grow my hair out. LOL. I just feel like this is my hair now. Natural Roots and texlaxed tips.

If my hair was damaged I would cut. Thank God it's not. ;)

i thank God for a ponytail too. i have mad respect for the TWA but my head is way too big to rock one.:lachen:

Last edited:

JJamiah

havilland, I have had a TWA a few times in my life. It was funky and cute at the time, but yes my head is not having it right now. :giggle:

Awesome! I am so glad to have a buddy or two on the same time span.

I have to color my hair this week. I want to use a basic black or darkest brown.

janeemat

@janeemat
Well I'm only 14 months post or so, but I haven't used wigs, weaves, or braids at all. I've just done braidouts and buns. I flatironed my hair twice this period (last June and December). So it's definitely possible and easy. In fact, I'm really glad that I haven't completely put my hair away for a long time; it's been great to see it grow and the curls slowly get longer and longer. Like @BlkMane said, I think it's easier if your hair is longer. I started maybe an inch or two above APL and now I'm MBL (with LOTS of trims). It makes braidouts easier (I can do just two pigtails and then ponytail that or leave it half up and half down), and of course I can bun it.

Wow! This is great. I have yet to reach midback:sad:. Maybe I need to transition:perplexed

MyTea

I plan on transitioning or switching to texlax. It's been 7 weeks since my last relaxer, starting to get the itch lol. I haven't seen my natural texture for over 15 years..... Excited:)

Last edited:

janeemat

@havilland, I have had a TWA a few times in my life. It was funky and cute at the time, but yes my head is not having it right now. :giggle:

Awesome! I am so glad to have a buddy or two on the same time span.

I have to color my hair this week. I want to use a basic black or darkest brown.

What brand do you use to color? Are you using a demi or permanent?

ScorpioLove

Im really trying to go through with this long transition but my hair apparently loves dreads while i dont
it always happens where my texlaxed hair and natural hair meet

19 weeks and a hundred more to go..

janeemat

How are you ladies detangling 47 wks post relaxer hair? Please tell me that miracle cond/moisturizer that melts the tangles and allows the comb to slide from root to tip.

godzooki

JJamiah godzooki

I really would prefer NOT to have to bc so I'm really hoping I can continue to hold on to my relaxed length, despite the texture difference. Might be wishful thinking but I made it this far. I just trimmed a few weeks ago so I don't plan on trimming again until about the 36th month...I might dust here and there in between, though. I'd like to eventually trim away the relaxed ends as my natural hair progresses and lengthens. I'm at BSL right now with both textures. My goal is to have my natural hair reach BSL...My "dream" is to hit WL natural!

JJamiah

How are you ladies detangling 47 wks post relaxer hair? Please tell me that miracle cond/moisturizer that melts the tangles and allows the comb to slide from root to tip.

I am using Wen and Chaz 613 and all I can say is :worship2::wow:

I either part my hair down the center or flip it over, detangle with my Magic Star Comb, and wet it down, then the put the Wen or Chaz 613 in and it just melts anything and everything :grin:

Last edited:

JJamiah

[/B]

What brand do you use to color? Are you using a demi or permanent?

I was using the Henna & Indigo, Bigen and last time I tried Garnier Nutrisse Black didn't care for that one. Indigo takes too long.

So I am in the market for a new Permanent color. I am up for any suggestions.

godzooki

I'll let you know when I find it!:grin: I have to wash/cond. in sections. At least two. Usually 4. I'll spritz it wet and comb thru/detangle then section out and clip before I get into the shower so once in the shower, I'm mostly maintaining having already detangled before washing. When I wash I hold the section I'm doing by the length and gently pull it enough straighten out and then using my other hand, I'll scrub my scalp lightly with my finger pads so I'm not tangling my hair because the light tension keeps the hair in place. For the length and ends, I sort of scrunch the shampoo down the length and repeat if necessary. Then I rinse,twist like a rope or towel and clip and move on to the next section. All my tangling issues happen in my relaxed sections! I put the cond. on the same way (in sections, twist and clip) and rinse it that way too. It's a pain but, OMG, the nightmare I'd have if I tried to wash like I used to when fully relaxed!:nono:
just adding, I've been using Aussie Moist cond. for the most part and simple cond. washes.

janeemat

I'll let you know when I find it!:grin: I have to wash/cond. in sections. At least two. Usually 4. I'll spritz it wet and comb thru/detangle then section out and clip before I get into the shower so once in the shower, I'm mostly maintaining having already detangled before washing. When I wash I hold the section I'm doing by the length and gently pull it enough straighten out and then using my other hand, I'll scrub my scalp lightly with my finger pads so I'm not tangling my hair because the light tension keeps the hair in place. For the length and ends, I sort of scrunch the shampoo down the length and repeat if necessary. Then I rinse,twist like a rope or towel and clip and move on to the next section. All my tangling issues happen in my relaxed sections! I put the cond. on the same way (in sections, twist and clip) and rinse it that way too. It's a pain but, OMG, the nightmare I'd have if I tried to wash like I used to when fully relaxed!:nono:
just adding, I've been using Aussie Moist cond. for the most part and simple cond. washes.

Thanks for sharing this. I have read where so many ladies wash in sections. This must be the key.

janeemat

I was using the Henna & Indigo, Bigen and last time I tried Garnier Nutrisse Black didn't care for that one. Indigo takes too long.

So I am in the market for a new Permanent color. I am up for any suggestions.

I am no help here. I am trying to decide if I should just submit and let my gray win this war.:grin: I use PM shines demi.

janeemat

I am using Wen and Chaz 613 and all I can say is :worship2::wow:

I either part my hair down the center or flip it over, detangle with my Magic Star Comb, and wet it down, then the put the Wen or Chaz 613 in and it just melts anything and everything :grin:

SERIOUSLY?

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
For some reason I do not have a detangling issue. I really never have. I don't know how many weeks I am. Last relaxer was June 29,2011. Can't believe I made it to 1 months. I thought the stylist trimmed all my relaxed hair but she didn't. I still have some relaxed ends left. I'm getting a sew-in tomorrow.