Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I trimmed about an inch from my nape. It's all natural now. It's 5 inches long. In 10 days I will be 1 year post. I also trimmed my ends a half an inch.

I need to stay away from the scissors...sigh.

Last edited:
It'll be 13 months on Tuesday. Now I honestly feel like I can transition forever - the longer my hair gets, the easier it is. Anyone else feel this way?

Congrats to all the ladies who have hit milestones!

Does anyone else's natural hair seem different than you remember it?

Almost 10 mos post and the back half is all natural (its about 3-4 inches long). My hair doesn't feel as rough as a I remember it feeling as a child. I just remember getting a comb through my hair was like torture growing up. lots of tugging and snapping, etc. It is softer and alot more manageable.

I really think the big difference is moisture. Growing up all that was ever done to my hair was Shampoo with whatever was on sale, probably Suave, quick rinse out conditioner, probably also Suave. Then comb with a REGULAR COMB, not a wide tooth comb, with nothing on it but some grease. Then Plat up, and hot comb (with what had to be at least a 30 yr old comb) with more grease the next day. And then add more grease every other night. THEN, between presses at the one wk mark or if there was an event coming up, go around the edges with a pressing comb on dirty hair. :nono: I swear the smell of burnt dirty hair haunts me to this day.

I will am almost 2 years post. I have the most relaxed ends left in the front. I feel completely natural though and everyone thinks I am, i tried to tell my mum that I wasn't completely natural yet but she was hearing non of it lol
I will feel a huge sense of relief when I chop the rest off though :)

When do you plan on chopping off the rest?

Hello ladies, I've been transitioning for 20 months and have a long time to go. :( My natural hair is doing pretty good but my relaxed hair is kinda :rolleyes: It's better now but a couple months ago I had split ends and I was freaking out. I've always had a problem with my hair getting really dry but my relaxed part is so ridiculous.

Anyone have tips for hair that tangles super easily? I wash/dry my hair in braids but it still gets tangled. And if I wear it out that's a wrap.

Anyway this summer I plan on leaving my hair in 2 french braids, pigtails or a braid(bun) during the week and on Sunday wear my hair out/non braided bun.

Wow, only 10 more days...good for you! :grin: LOL about staying away from the scissors. I cannot pick up scissors again until August 21. I will then cut the remaining relaxed ends from the back/nape area. I have about 6 inches of new growth in the back with about an inch of relaxed ends. It seems as if the front of my hair refuses to grow. I have st least 3-4 inches of relaxed ends on top. I am hoping that I can make it until Dec.

I trimmed about an inch from my nape. It's all natural now. It's 5 inches long. In 10 days I will be 1 year post. I also trimmed my ends a half an inch.

I need to stay away form the scissors...sigh.

I plan on chopping when I feel I won't miss the length, probably around wsl. I'm happy to keep transitioning.

About your tangling, since washing and drying in plaits isn't lessening your tangles maybe you should check your porosity and do an acv rinse. This will smooth your cuticles.

Yes, my texture does feel different, i'm seeing curls i've never seen before and i've only been relaxed for 4 years. Probably the extra moisture i give it too.
I'm getting a bit sad though because i know that once i've finished my transition i'll never ever be able to wear a straight style again. I currently flat iron after every wash and it was okay for like the first 5 months, but now especially at 10 months my edges kink up the very next day. I should be okay though. I actually think about what styles i could rock if i were to bc now. I think about it so much i have to be in the right frame of mind when i wash my hair :laugh: otherwise next wash day my relaxed hair could be gone.

Hello Ladies. It has been a long time since I have been on this board. I see some new and existing ladies. Well after careful consideration and looking at all 68 pages of this thread, I have decided to transition without a big cut. My fotki is old and some info is outdated. I will update soon. I am currently 13 weeks post. I hope and thank you for your support.

I'm now over six months into my transition. Currently wearing Crochet braids and plan on keeping these up for another 3 weeks! Co-washing and finger detangling is great for my hair.
I properly detangle once every 2 weeks to 1 month.

Yes, my texture does feel different, i'm seeing curls i've never seen before and i've only been relaxed for 4 years. Probably the extra moisture i give it too.
I'm getting a bit sad though because i know that once i've finished my transition i'll never ever be able to wear a straight style again. I currently flat iron after every wash and it was okay for like the first 5 months, but now especially at 10 months my edges kink up the very next day. I should be okay though. I actually think about what styles i could rock if i were to bc now. I think about it so much i have to be in the right frame of mind when i wash my hair :laugh: otherwise next wash day my relaxed hair could be gone.

Well you have to remember its hot and humid so that's probably why your hair is reverting. When I was natural, I wouldn't dare press my hair unless it was below 50 degrees. I'm gonna try the Sabino Moisture Block to see if it really does what it says it does. If not, I'll just do straight styles in the late fall/winter/early spring and keep it curly for the warmer months.

Hey ladies, this will be my 3rd and final transition! I did the BC last time and struggled a LOT with it, mainly because I was overweight AND had postpartum shedding so short thin hair was NOT the business:nono: This time I plan to transition to full APL and then maintain APL trimming the relaxed ends as it grows out.

I'm going to install some dreadlock extensions this week ad keep them in as long as possible:yep:

Just checking in!

I'm 27 months post and anticipate straightening my hair today for a length check. It's an all day event so I'm not really looking forward to it. Hopefully all goes well and it lasts as nicely as my previous length check in march.

HHG everyone!

Hello Ladies...I am seriously considering going natural..I have been relaxed since age 5 and I am now 9 weeks post, scheduled to relax on June 18th, but just seeing my ng makes me want to keep it just as it is it's a beautiful thing!

My question is..how do you deal with the shedding? I can never get past 10-14 weeks stretching because the shedding scares me..and the thought of relaxing depresses me...

Hey ladies,
I have been transitioning since my last relaxer in May of 2008 when I first joined. I took a stint of hibernation lol but now I am back and fully subscribed :)...I need the help of my more experienced LHCF members. I am trying to categorize the texture of my hair so I ca. n properly take care of it. I see ladies saying they are 4 a/b or 3a fine ....where is the list of hair texture types on LHCF? Thanks for your guidance

hi! and nice to have you back. i have been transitioning since may 2009. if you cant find info on here through the search try naturally curly they have hair types explained very well.:grin:

Last edited:
Hello Ladies. It has been a long time since I have been on this board. I see some new and existing ladies. Well after careful consideration and looking at all 68 pages of this thread, I have decided to transition without a big cut. My fotki is old and some info is outdated. I will update soon. I am currently 13 weeks post. I hope and thank you for your support.

:welcome4:!!!!!!!

Hello Ladies...I am seriously considering going natural..I have been relaxed since age 5 and I am now 9 weeks post, scheduled to relax on June 18th, but just seeing my ng makes me want to keep it just as it is it's a beautiful thing!

My question is..how do you deal with the shedding? I can never get past 10-14 weeks stretching because the shedding scares me..and the thought of relaxing depresses me...

:welcome:thats good that you are starting to notice that your ng is something worth keeping and not looking at it as "ugh new growth time for a touch up".:lachen: i have never tried this technique but i will once im out of a weave. :yep:there are many ppl talking about a black tea rinse that helps alot with minimizing shedding. i believe, http://keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com/ has info on how its done and the results as well. she is also a member on here i think. HTH! :grin:

Just checking in!

I'm 27 months post and anticipate straightening my hair today for a length check. It's an all day event so I'm not really looking forward to it. Hopefully all goes well and it lasts as nicely as my previous length check in march.

HHG everyone!

WOW! 27 months, thats amazing:drool:. Great progress! such an inspiration!:grin:

Thanks..I watched it..I have black tea @ home. I will also start mixing garlic powder in my conditioners...between the 2 something should work, but so far this is my only issue...so far.

Thanks!

Does anyone else's natural hair seem different than you remember it?

Almost 10 mos post and the back half is all natural (its about 3-4 inches long). My hair doesn't feel as rough as a I remember it feeling as a child. I just remember getting a comb through my hair was like torture growing up. lots of tugging and snapping, etc. It is softer and alot more manageable.

I really think the big difference is moisture. Growing up all that was ever done to my hair was Shampoo with whatever was on sale, probably Suave, quick rinse out conditioner, probably also Suave. Then comb with a REGULAR COMB, not a wide tooth comb, with nothing on it but some grease. Then Plat up, and hot comb (with what had to be at least a 30 yr old comb) with more grease the next day. And then add more grease every other night. THEN, between presses at the one wk mark or if there was an event coming up, go around the edges with a pressing comb on dirty hair. :nono: I swear the smell of burnt dirty hair haunts me to this day.
I completely can relate to you. My curl pattern especially in the back is curly but not course as the front of my hair. I can remember every time I would get the back of my hair cut down very low it would grow in curled up. But not the front, it was a thick mass of a forest. But now since I've been in braids which I just hit the 16 month mark my hair texture seems much different than when I was growing up.

And I totally agree with you about the shampoo let air dry, greased scalp and press would follow. But you talk about you dreading the press. I cried when it was my turn to get my hair pressed from my mother or the beautician. I was and still am very tenderheaded to this day. Oh when I said I cried I meant before I even got in the chair!:nono:

And that's why no one comes close to my head.:wallbash: Just could'nt/can't take the tugging and pulling and combing by other hands but my own.:yep:

All of you ladies are so inspirational! I'm 15 months post hoping to do the final chop at 30 months! Pray for me!!
You and are at the same transitioning time frame and I too don't plan on doing the bc really until Dec 2012! Girl I just hope I can hold out that long. Pray for me too cuz I'm going to need it!

sorry just read yr post again and I thought you said 16 months! That's ok cuz 1 mo behind is nothing diff.

Last edited:
Just wanted to come in here to say that I am officially out. After a year relaxer free, I decided to get a touch up. I'm really happy I made this decision. Congrats to all of you and best of luck with your transition!:yep:
I can't beleive I'm saying this, but I can definitely understand yr position. You have some massive length going on and starting over with the transitioning would be a bit much for you.

I'm not mad at you girl. I think you did the right thing for yr hair!

WOW! 27 months, thats amazing:drool:. Great progress! such an inspiration!:grin:

Thanks a lot!

I finally finished after 4 hours of blow-drying and flat-ironing.

DSCN0732.jpg

i want to flat iron my hair to length check, but i threw out my old iron because... well it was old .. so now i have to wait.

i plan to keep my hair twisted the entire summer!

Can anybody recomend a good leave in conditioner/moisturizer? Becuz I noticed that the stuff I been using works well for the relaxed part of my hair but it doesn't work for my new growth.

Good Morning! For those of you who dust or trim your ends during the transition process, what brand of shears are you using? What's the price range? Please post a pic if you can, I want to make sure that I buy the right kind. I have some that are about a year old, so I know I need to upgrade.

TIA for your help!

Hi ladies,

I am currently transitioning, my last relaxer was December 2009. So far my transition is going good, I am not having any problems with the two different textures, no breakage or shedding. I attempted to transition before my last relaxer, but only made it 4 months. This time however, s-curl has been a life saver for me, it keeps my new growth and relaxed hair soft and moisturized making it easier for me to comb my hair without breakage. I make sure to keep my protein/moisture balanced, co-wash often and baby my hair. I wear a bun 95% of the time. I don't plan on bc at all.

Back