Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

mscheergrl

Embracing happiness
Hey ladies! Just wanted to join in on this thread. This Halloween will be my 2 year anniversary since my last relaxer. I was planning to cut at 2 years, but I'm thinking I might cut at 2.5 years. I've learned so much through my transition and at this point, I definitely don't regret the journey.

Attachments

• IMG_20140901_221341.jpg
    IMG_20140901_221341.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 122

coolsista-paris

Hey ladies! Just wanted to join in on this thread. This Halloween will be my 2 year anniversary since my last relaxer. I was planning to cut at 2 years, but I'm thinking I might cut at 2.5 years. I've learned so much through my transition and at this point, I definitely don't regret the journey.

wow! thats a lot of hair. i hope i can hold on longer. i dont want to get short hair now...
this length is perfect to style for work (apl).
im almost 10 months post. already :)

danysedai

I've been reading this thread for a while and I still have not decided if I'm going to transition but I haven't relaxed either. It's only been 3 months and I started doing braidouts and co-washing.

My hair is BSL, texlaxed but I have a lot of grey hair (my hair is basically all white, all over except for the nape) and I dye it with Bigen usually every 3 weeks. Since my trusted hairstylist passed away 3 years ago I haven't found anyone who can relax it the way I wanted (well, I found someone and she moved away) and my experiments with self relaxing have not been good. I had a major setback last year and my bone straight ends are a bit see through right now. I've been cutting them little by little but probably after Thanksgiving I will cut them off to a little below APL.

Right now my choice is between 2 chemical processes:colour and relaxer so I'm choosing colour and will try to transition.

Attachments

• 20140803_211253.jpg
    20140803_211253.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 20140904_081546.jpg
    20140904_081546.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 100

GettingKinky

danysedai-
You sound just like me! I'm also about BSL texlaxed with ~3 inches of bonelaxed ends. I'm also about 3 months post (14 weeks exactly today)

I'm just gray in the front and my stylist says semipermanent won't work if I go natural so I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do for color.

My texlaxed hair doesn't revert when I flat iron it even when I workout. I'm not sure if my natural hair will behave the same way. So I'm still not 100% sure about going natural I'm just going to take it one day at a time.

coolsista-paris

I've been reading this thread for a while and I still have not decided if I'm going to transition but I haven't relaxed either. It's only been 3 months and I started doing braidouts and co-washing. My hair is BSL, texlaxed but I have a lot of grey hair (my hair is basically all white, all over except for the nape) and I dye it with Bigen usually every 3 weeks. Since my trusted hairstylist passed away 3 years ago I haven't found anyone who can relax it the way I wanted (well, I found someone and she moved away) and my experiments with self relaxing have not been good. I had a major setback last year and my bone straight ends are a bit see through right now. I've been cutting them little by little but probably after Thanksgiving I will cut them off to a little below APL. Right now my choice is between 2 chemical processes:colour and relaxer so I'm choosing colour and will try to transition.

your hair is beautiful too. this is also a lot of hair!
come and join us.
this is my second transition. you will do well ;-)

mscheergrl

Embracing happiness
wow! thats a lot of hair. i hope i can hold on longer. i dont want to get short hair now...
this length is perfect to style for work (apl).
im almost 10 months post. already :)

Agreed. I'm so torn because I so desperately want to be fully natural but I want to be left with a certain amount of length. The shrinkage is real :)

danysedai

anyone has tips on how to avoid tangled ends after a braidout? I braidout in single braids and roll my ends on a small perm rod. It's all great the first day but after 2 days my ends tangle and break.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
anyone has tips on how to avoid tangled ends after a braidout? I braidout in single braids and roll my ends on a small perm rod. It's all great the first day but after 2 days my ends tangle and break.
I don't really have any solutions for you I don't do braidouts. However personally my tangling didn't stop until I cut all the perm off, also once I had more natural hair than permed hair I had less tangles. I had horrible tangling while transitioning. Once I was fully natural my tangling disappeared totally.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Try larger perm rods. The smaller curls may be what is resulting in the tangles.

coolsista-paris

Agreed. I'm so torn because I so desperately want to be fully natural but I want to be left with a certain amount of length. The shrinkage is real :)

this is the only reason im transitionning for long.
that shrinkage is gonna leave me with very low styling choicesb for work

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

danysedai Another thing to consider in addition to all the other great advice you have been given is to roll the perm rod a few inches above the line of demarcation. When I do braidouts, I only braid the hair that I can reach along the scalp area, then I detangle & smooth the entire length and roll that on a perm rod. So it's almost like a a braid out slash roller set. Tricks the two textures into thinking they are one. lol

Last edited:

tapioca_pudding

Currently discussing taking a trip to Miami next June. I wonder how much growth I'll have by then.. I'd love to BC before my trip so I can rock my curls in MIA.

I actually really strongly want to BC rightnowthisminute but I have reservations. I wonder if, after I do it, I would have regrets. Im sure I'll have ugly days where I hate it but I would love to be fully natural. I also wonder how my bf would feel during the short stages.

Last edited:

sharifeh

I am one year and 2 weeks post. I don't even deal with my hair at all and I dont think I will for another 2years. Right now im in a kinky straight weave and I will keep this up until I dont feel bald with all the shrinkage. My hair feels like its ear length

I need to do better in my deep conditioning routine and find my hair vitamins. Mbl needs to come asap

ScorpioLove

You are just like me. I'm also in a weave and I'm past a year post. I'm thinking of doing this for another year. Do you have a leave out though?

ScorpioLove

ScorpioLove

You are just like me. I'm also in a weave and I'm past a year post. I'm thinking of doing this for another year. Do you have a leave out though?

I do.. I dont mind having a leave out in the front because generally I like the front shorter so it curls better and the front of my hair grows the fastest. Plus it looks very realistic that way and the way I style it. People (including black women) just assume its my hair.

The way I install it though is different. I braid my hair and clip the hair in. I attached clip ins to the wefts. This makes for easy install and easy removal. I can take off the weave in 2minutes or less.

baddison

natural for good
ScorpioLove sharifeh - how are you ladies caring for your hair underneath the sew-ins? I'm currently 9months post and really want to go a full 2 years before I cut. Interested in the maintenance of healthy hair under these protective styles. :spinning::spinning:

baddison

natural for good
I do.. I dont mind having a leave out in the front because generally I like the front shorter so it curls better and the front of my hair grows the fastest. Plus it looks very realistic that way and the way I style it. People (including black women) just assume its my hair.

The way I install it though is different. I braid my hair and clip the hair in. I attached clip ins to the wefts. This makes for easy install and easy removal. I can take off the weave in 2minutes or less.

do you have any tutorials on how you do this??

sweetpea7

Been rocking wash n go buns with 6inches of curly hair and 7 inches of bonelaxed ends. It has been nice but wash day is a little tiring. I'm almost one year post. I can't wait until March 2nd. Ill be on spring break and cutting all this straight hair off.

coolsista-paris

do you have any tutorials on how you do this??

ScorpioLove

in would love to see a tutorial. i have no clue of how you do this.
it would be a great option for me.
i am a diy person. i dont want anyone doing my hair. clips seems a good idea.

but wont it fly off or come out easily ? im scared of that.
hair in the floor and people staring at me. i am scared!

Brwnbeauti

Just took my box braids down and had to cut out a knot. Then I had to hide my scissors because my patch of super short hair was looking cute

Evolving78

i have been feel so defeated these last few days about my hair. i really hope i have a good wash experience to motivate me to go on. i was thinking about just cutting my hair off and starting over, but i am going to see it through. a whole chunk of my hair is just a mess. i'm sitting here with conditioner in my hair now. the new growth isn't the problem. it's the relaxed ends! they are so fragile!