Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
I will continue to hang around this thread but I wanted to post pics from my wash yesterday.

Any suggestions on a hair type? My granny says I have the "good grade" whatever that means:nono: lol.

I'm thinking 4b-4z?

Attachments

• 10574504_10100280745392349_7887847256061224818_n.jpg
    10574504_10100280745392349_7887847256061224818_n.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 1609705_10100280745008119_2126221407023565120_n.jpg
    1609705_10100280745008119_2126221407023565120_n.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 75
  • 10543628_10100280744923289_740068522765160639_n.jpg
    10543628_10100280744923289_740068522765160639_n.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 934786_10100280745172789_7318404913823536627_n.jpg
    934786_10100280745172789_7318404913823536627_n.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 10411235_10100280744030079_6071179610807344315_n.jpg
    10411235_10100280744030079_6071179610807344315_n.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 73

HappywithJC723

I'm joining this journey. I'm about 3.5 months post. My dh gave me a good trim a couple of weeks ago. He took about 1.5-2 inches off. I needed it. I hadn't had a trim in about a year. I'm looking for a good moisturizing dc. What do you ladies suggest? I recently tried CON's new moisturizing milk masque dc and it was a no go for my hair. I tried it on wet and dry hair and both times it made my hair feel like I dc'ed with a protein conditioner instead of a moisturizing one. :nono:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I will continue to hang around this thread but I wanted to post pics from my wash yesterday. Any suggestions on a hair type? My granny says I have the "good grade" whatever that means:nono: lol. I'm thinking 4b-4z?
That's my hair! My granny always called me a nappy-headed sea buzzard! LOL I'm a 4-something.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I'm joining this journey. I'm about 3.5 months post. My dh gave me a good trim a couple of weeks ago. He took about 1.5-2 inches off. I needed it. I hadn't had a trim in about a year. I'm looking for a good moisturizing dc. What do you ladies suggest? I recently tried CON's new moisturizing milk masque dc and it was a no go for my hair. I tried it on wet and dry hair and both times it made my hair feel like I dc'ed with a protein conditioner instead of a moisturizing one. :nono:

I really like herbal essence, hello hydration. Ive been using that as my DC for over a year

almond eyes

I will continue to hang around this thread but I wanted to post pics from my wash yesterday.

Any suggestions on a hair type? My granny says I have the "good grade" whatever that means:nono: lol.

I'm thinking 4b-4z?

Your hair looks fine in texture. I tend to know texture from the feel test. Do you feel curlies and coilies when your hair is dry? Do curls and coils pop up with products? If not 4b. I also find that 4a hair if not given the proper moisture and washed frequently can get dry and end up mimicking 4b hair.

Your hair is not 4Z. I have seen 4Z hair and its also a nice grade of hair when taken care of well like all hair types but again it cannot go too long without washing or rinsing with water or it can become very dry and look very dry and dull.

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
Your hair looks fine in texture. I tend to know texture from the feel test. Do you feel curlies and coilies when your hair is dry? Do curls and coils pop up with products? If not 4b. I also find that 4a hair if not given the proper moisture and washed frequently can get dry and end up mimicking 4b hair.

Your hair is not 4Z. I have seen 4Z hair and its also a nice grade of hair when taken care of well like all hair types but again it cannot go too long without washing or rinsing with water or it can become very dry and look very dry and dull.

Yes. I still feel curls and coilies when my hair is dry. My roots are nothing but curls. What do you suggest to up moisture? I have tried everything and my hair still feels really dry.

Amarilles

28 months post today!

Had 2 days of too much high heat last Saturday and Sunday, I'm itching to wash off all the crap that was put in my hair but don't yet have the time. The texture seems undamaged but I'm dying to wash it and see.

DH is suggesting I cut the relaxer already, that it'll be easier for me when we go on vacation later this month and that he's tired of me twisting my hair all the time. Good to know that he's tired of it :lol: I said I'm doing 2 more months but he insisted quite a bit so not sure now. Still in the states until Tuesday, so I guess I'll see once we get home. I can't believe I'm almost there! Here's hoping for no heat damage...if so though, I'll cut it out when I cut the rest. Hoping for the best!

PlainJane

8 months post!

I've realized that if I don't stretch my hair well on wash day, no style works throughout the week and I get a lot of breakage. Also, even if I wanted to go back to relaxing right now, that wouldn't be an option because I've had quite a bit of breakage at the line of demarcation. I'm loving how my natural roots aren't as picky as my relaxed ends are tho so that's enough to keep going!

pearlific1

I went to Sally Beauty Supply over the weekend to see what I could find to try. They had Roux on clearance...no Porosity Control though :cry2:...I purchased Mendex (I'm guessing it's protein based because it emphasized strengthening) and a moisturizing condish. They were $2.49 each. :grin: Last night was my wash day so I tried the Mendex. OMG! It detangled my natural hair like nobody's business. I was actually able to detangle with my fingers! I went back over my hair with a shower comb to get all of the loose hair out. I don't detangle as often as I should because I'm lazy so when I saw the ball of hair that came out, I wasn't too upset. I also checked a sample of individual strands and they were mostly shed hair, not breakage. I hope they still have bottles left because I'm going back to purchase the other bottles of the Mendex after work :yep:

I will be 1 year post on the 21st :yay:

Once I hit APL, I will start doing larger trims. I'm hoping to transition at least another year. My natural hair is only about neck length stretched. It's crazy to think that I had lost the majority of my relaxed hair waaaay before this point the first time I transitioned. :sad: Live and learn.

sharifeh

I'm gonna be one year post on Thursday

I'm gonna be completely honest and say I deeply regret this journey :look:

I feel like I'm the only one. But I've gone so far into it I feel like I have no choice but to continue and give natural hair a chance before I relax again. I'm almost sure I'm gonna relax again within two years though...
SuchaLady

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

pearlific1

I'm gonna be one year post on Thursday

I'm gonna be completely honest and say I deeply regret this journey :look:

This is exactlyhow I felt the first time I transitioned. My hair was healthy and I finally had the hair that I was once envious of

I just got too far in a stretch that I couldn't return from. Breakage ensued and it was all downhill from there. So instead of cutting it all off, I transitioned. :nono:

sharifeh, What makes you feel the way you do?

sharifeh

pearlific1

I feel bad because although I did have trouble retaining length (BSL was my longest) with a relaxer I should have just figured that out instead of making the jump to natural. My hair is already extremely dense and it takes a long time to do when it’s relaxed bone straight. How long are my wash days going to be when I’m fully natural? :nono: I guess I’m just not looking forward to such a steep learning curve and waiting so long for visible length. Plus my style of choice will still be straight hair, that hasn’t changed, it’s just going to be A LOT harder to achieve. Maybe I’ll only be happy when my natural hair surpasses my relaxed hair in length. Plus I don’t think shrinkage is cool I think it’s mega annoying. Not saying that I love relaxers but they really do help you get out of the door.
Also, everyone knows transitioning sucks. For the first time in my life I feel the need to hide my hair. I’ve always liked my hair up until now, never felt the need to hide it or take a break from it. And the breakage that comes along with stretching a relaxer is heartbreaking. Blah blah blah

I feel bad for complaining, I’ll just take my vitamins or keep trucking on.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

SuchaLady

Me too. I've just stopped complaining. I know everyone is/was getting tired of me :look: I just typed this exact same post in the health RT :lachen: We are sisters :kiss: My hair is too chopped up to relax it now if I wanted to. I have no choice but to finish this transition :ohwell: I'm gonna give natural a try because I didn't look ugly this long for no reason :look: :look: but unless I fall madly, madly in love with being natural I'm going back to relaxed too. Don't feel bad about it. Only you do your hair.

I'm gonna be one year post on Thursday I'm gonna be completely honest and say I deeply regret this journey :look: I feel like I'm the only one. But I've gone so far into it I feel like I have no choice but to continue and give natural hair a chance before I relax again. I'm almost sure I'm gonna relax again within two years though... SuchaLady Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

GettingKinky

I think I've decided to transistion. Both of my sisters are natural and I want curls too.

I've been transitioning to texlax for 2.5 years now and I think I'm ready to take the next step. I didn't really struggle with this transition so hopefully the next one will be smooth too.

My plan is to maintain at MBL and then hopefully by the end of 2019 I'll have a full head of natural WL hair.

Although seeing that some of you are regretting your journey is giving me pause...

Last edited:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
pearlific1 I feel bad because although I did have trouble retaining length (BSL was my longest) with a relaxer I should have just figured that out instead of making the jump to natural. My hair is already extremely dense and it takes a long time to do when it’s relaxed bone straight. How long are my wash days going to be when I’m fully natural? :nono: I guess I’m just not looking forward to such a steep learning curve and waiting so long for visible length. Plus my style of choice will still be straight hair, that hasn’t changed, it’s just going to be A LOT harder to achieve. Maybe I’ll only be happy when my natural hair surpasses my relaxed hair in length. Plus I don’t think shrinkage is cool I think it’s mega annoying. Not saying that I love relaxers but they really do help you get out of the door. Also, everyone knows transitioning sucks. For the first time in my life I feel the need to hide my hair. I’ve always liked my hair up until now, never felt the need to hide it or take a break from it. And the breakage that comes along with stretching a relaxer is heartbreaking. Blah blah blah I feel bad for complaining, I’ll just take my vitamins or keep trucking on. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
My transition was not fun either. I made the decision to BC at 10 months because I knew it would take forever for me to see any appreciable length if I kept trimming the relaxed ends slowly and I had damaged my pre-transition relaxed hair and had some hair loss in my crown and at my nape. Basically, I was a mess and I though it would be cool to see my natural hair for the first time in my adult life. It's has been a mental struggle as well as a physical one because I've not figured out what to do with it at this length and with this texture. I'm still going to give it a real chance so I'm committing to it...for now.

EnExitStageLeft

GettingKinky

I've been at it for 15 months and don't regret it at all and it hasn't been smooth sailing, but it hasn't been hard either.

Transitioning for me is wayyyyyy more mental then it is physical. Month 9 was the hardest for me. Not because my hair became unmanageable, but because I had never stretched beyond 10 months, so I thought things were going to get difficult. They didn't :nono:.

If you decide to join us then I cannot wait to follow your journey. You have drool worthy hair :yep:.

GettingKinky

Thanks EnExitStageLeft you're always giving me a big head :smile:

The longest I've stretched is 18 or 19 weeks. I'm going to give this a try for at least 29 weeks (end of the year) and then I'll see how it's going. I think if I keep my hair stretched it should be fine. I'm pretty much always in a bun or braidout so I'll just continue.

I have 2 concerns

- covering my gray. After a touch-up my semipermanent color last really well. Without a touch-up not so much. I need to keep the gray covered. I haven't accepted them yet.

- heat. I like getting my hair flat ironed every so often. Now I'll have to worry about damaging my curl pattern. I know I want it done at a salon, I don't have the patience to do it myself. My stylist gets great results, but she uses a LOT of heat.

SuchaLady

GettingKinky Dont let my complaints scare you! If you enjoy your hair and have fun with it try it! I just hate doing my hair :lol: I am second guessing myself right now only because I just know for ME I have no plans of wearing twist outs, braid outs, bantu knot outs, and Id never leave my house in two stranded twist and I am unapologetic about it. I love, love natural hair; I follow many vloggers that are natural but I made this decision for myself prematurely so I am not 100% married to the idea right now. This is not to say that I wont feel differently next year---or heck even next week :lol: Read my posts in this thread; Ive literally been on the brink of relaxing yet still praising how pretty my hair is in the same week :lachen: So EnExit is correct when she says it's all mental. The actual transition itself wasnt/isnt hard for me. It's the styling :nono: I kept my edges laid as a relaxed head. And when I say laid I mean laid :look: My newgrowth aint feeling that for some reason and I have not the slightest idea why. Ive tried a million and one techniques and nope she still isnt having it......anywho Im rambling now :look: Enjoy your new journey! :kiss:

Brwnbeauti

I bought some jane carter products today, shampoo and conditioner. I'm hoping it will help keep enough hair on my head to bun. My relaxed hair is tattered. I'm thinking of going to get a bob but I'd have to wear it straight- or I could rod it huh? Anyone cut a bob n transition from it?

EnExitStageLeft

SuchaLady

Everytime I read your post after a 4 hour wash day I'm like....."Yep, she know the struggle" :lachen:.Trust me we've all felt that way at least twice (or thrice :look:). You just verbalize it. As long as you keep going with me I'm cool. We pretty much made the decision to do this around the same time. SO YOUR STUCK MA'AM! :grin:

sweetpea7

Has anyone tried the Eco Custard?
My thick strands (4a/b) -edges were soft but frizzy after the custard dried. works well under eco styler gel to leave a soft touch. (my hair in the picture)

Mothers thin strands (3c) - edges were smooth and it had a soft hold. No frizz

Last edited: