Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Mische

Awww thank you!
I'd say maybe to my shoulder when I stretch it.. yeah.. about that. My hair is damp in the pic with a bit of conditioner. I twisted my hair up after I rinsed out the conditioner and will wear a twist out tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. I will say, my hair wasn't as short as I thought it would be.

Nice! That's interesting that it wasn't as short as you thought it'd be. I always do little pull tests trying to figure out where the natural hair would fall by itself, but I guess that isn't completely accurate. Anyway, I can't wait to see twist out pics. :)

Britt

My twist out this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-3569437191.jpg
    image-3569437191.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2802775790.jpg
    image-2802775790.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1468109598.jpg
    image-1468109598.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Britt

Nice! That's interesting that it wasn't as short as you thought it'd be. I always do little pull tests trying to figure out where the natural hair would fall by itself, but I guess that isn't completely accurate. Anyway, I can't wait to see twist out pics. :)
Yes, it is interesting. As of late, I've been having anxiety about big chopping and what my hair would look like, shrinkage, etc. I'd look at ppl on the street and literally scour the internet looking at different images of people early in their journey so I could have some idea of what my hair would look like. I took down my Senegalese twists 4 weeks earlier than expected and this was totally impromptu. As I took them down, my mom came by and saw my hair and was like "britt just cut off the ends, at least you'll know what you're working with and it will look so much better, your hair is not as short as you think, come let me cut it off, you're not doing a big chop, you just have ends left" :lol:. So I thought about it, and hesitated.. and then I let her just cut the ends off. I have some straight ends left but I'll prob just cut as I go along.

In my head I was really picturing myself with a short shrunken fro that sticks up everywhere b/c I didn't have enough length for 'hangage' yet :lol: I was starting to get really down lately and nervous b/c I dreaded this day. But now, I'm so glad I did it when I did it. Totally UNPLANNED (I was quite anal retentive about the big day of my big chop :lol:) and I'm just going to have to work with it.

@Britt
congrats!!! your hair looks amazing!! I'm about to shed a tear
what are you 14 or 15 months?

you have a lot of hair!!

Thank you my dear !!!! I'm 17.5 months! I was going to try and push and hold out till like Sept, but my mom was like ... Ummmm no lol !
I thought my hair would shrink up and be vastly different from the look of my transitioning hair, but that's not the case. My hair today looks pretty much like my transitioning hair. I think it helped that my hair wasn't long while I was transitioning.

Now I have to figure out products lol. Yesterday I washed and deep conditioned and then used my anabelle's leave in pudding followed by some miss Jessie's quick curls. I think I might have been heavy handed lol. I was just slathering and twisting. Tonight I will prob redo my flat twists and just lightly mist with water.

Britt

@Britt

It looks delicious. Can you share your regimen?

Thank you !!!!!!

Through out my transition I've been washing and deep conditioning once a week. My shampoo's have changed up, I'll sometimes use a poo bar, or whatever other poo I have on hand ( I have several). For deep conditioners, I've used any of the Naturelle Grow dc's and I also like Darcy Pumpkin. Those have been the conditioners that are in my fridge that are staples. Ohhh! I used Nexxus Emergencee prob about every 3 weeks and I started adding the neutral protein filler to it. I'd pour the Emergencee in a bowl and pour a little bit of the protein filler in it. I really like the way my hair feels when I wash out this protein mixture. The curls just look better, my hair feels stronger. While transitioning I'd wear a twist out, but mostly I'd slick my hair back into a small ponytail and pin it up, or tuck it under -- that's it.

Going forward, I'll prob continue along with the same regimen using the same poo's, dc's, leave in's, and Emergencee. It's the styling and styling products that will be more challenging.

lamaria211

I had to plat my hair up cause it's shedding and breaking like crazy. I'm almost 4 months post partum so my edges near my temples are almost non existent. I'm hoping to keep in plated for at least a week then I'll wash DC and braid it back up again

myhairgrowstoo

Yes, it is interesting. As of late, I've been having anxiety about big chopping and what my hair would look like, shrinkage, etc. I'd look at ppl on the street and literally scour the internet looking at different images of people early in their journey so I could have some idea of what my hair would look like. I took down my Senegalese twists 4 weeks earlier than expected and this was totally impromptu. As I took them down, my mom came by and saw my hair and was like "britt just cut off the ends, at least you'll know what you're working with and it will look so much better, your hair is not as short as you think, come let me cut it off, you're not doing a big chop, you just have ends left" :lol:. So I thought about it, and hesitated.. and then I let her just cut the ends off. I have some straight ends left but I'll prob just cut as I go along.

In my head I was really picturing myself with a short shrunken fro that sticks up everywhere b/c I didn't have enough length for 'hangage' yet :lol: I was starting to get really down lately and nervous b/c I dreaded this day. But now, I'm so glad I did it when I did it. Totally UNPLANNED (I was quite anal retentive about the big day of my big chop :lol:) and I'm just going to have to work with it.

Thank you my dear !!!! I'm 17.5 months! I was going to try and push and hold out till like Sept, but my mom was like ... Ummmm no lol !
I thought my hair would shrink up and be vastly different from the look of my transitioning hair, but that's not the case. My hair today looks pretty much like my transitioning hair. I think it helped that my hair wasn't long while I was transitioning.

Now I have to figure out products lol. Yesterday I washed and deep conditioned and then used my anabelle's leave in pudding followed by some miss Jessie's quick curls. I think I might have been heavy handed lol. I was just slathering and twisting. Tonight I will prob redo my flat twists and just lightly mist with water.

Did your curl type change? I heard that once the straight ends are chopped the hair gets a tighter curl

Honey Bee

i also have a flat iron with steam and small teeth.

i never figured out how to use the steam ( i thought i would just revert back to my natural curled hair)...
i should have tried putting a strenthening and straightenin product inside?! maybe...
coolsista-paris, I wouldn't. Steam appliances in general work best with water, and not just any water, distilled water. I think it's because of all the metals and fluoride and what not in 'regular' water.

Honey Bee

Britt, :ohsnap: :gorgeous: :drool: I can't believe you did it! OMG, it's so CUTE!! And long! I'ma need you to start a fotki, post some more pics, something.

Yes, it is interesting. As of late, I've been having anxiety about big chopping and what my hair would look like, shrinkage, etc. I'd look at ppl on the street and literally scour the internet looking at different images of people early in their journey so I could have some idea of what my hair would look like. ...

:lol: I do this too. SO is like, Bring your arse to bed!! :nono: :lachen:

:look: I spent all day thinking about chopping. If I don't like it, I could always throw it up in a ps until it's long enough to style... but I have a new thing against fake hair, so... :ohwell: I guess I'll wait a little longer. I just want this phase to be over. :yawn: I'm even dreaming about being completely natural (and having nightmares about getting a perm). *sigh*

Britt

Did your curl type change? I heard that once the straight ends are chopped the hair gets a tighter curl

Good question.
So I just came home and decided to do a braid out/twist out. I sectioned my hair and cornrow the root and twist the end. While getting a chance to really examine my hair, I notice I have some heat damage :nono:. I knew of areas that were literally fried straight, but I see I have a little bit of heat damage in other areas, it's not fried straight, but it's funky looking :sad: Also, as far as my hair pattern, I can't say I've noticed any difference. I do notice that I don't have as much shrinkage as I thought I would have. That's prob why my hair has a bit of hangage to it i'm guessing. I also have a bunch of different hair textures. The top area by my bang is kinda straight and just there, no real definitive pattern. The sides I think are like a 4a/4b by my ears. The top a good size wave and loose, I'd say a 3c, along with the middle area of my nape. A majority of everything else is a 4a. I'm not quite sure what to make of my hair as yet :shrug:... I do regret the few dominican blow outs I got and the last flat ironing session where I went a stylist and she straight fried my damn hair :cry2:
Honestly, my hair feels just like my transitioning hair ... I mean ... just like it sans the scraggly relaxed ends. It feels much better w/o the ends there.
Britt, :ohsnap: :gorgeous: :drool: I can't believe you did it! OMG, it's so CUTE!! And long! I'ma need you to start a fotki, post some more pics, something.

:lol: I do this too. SO is like, Bring your arse to bed!! :nono: :lachen:

:look: I spent all day thinking about chopping. If I don't like it, I could always throw it up in a ps until it's long enough to style... but I have a new thing against fake hair, so... :ohwell: I guess I'll wait a little longer. I just want this phase to be over. :yawn: I'm even dreaming about being completely natural (and having nightmares about getting a perm). *sigh*

Thank you :grouphug:
Girl, I'd be up all night with my phone in my hand looking at natural hair pics, my brain would be going, trying to find someone whose hair looks similar to mine and wondering what mine would look like when it's chopped. Much to my chagrin, I can't say that's helped me really :lol:. My hair looks like.. my hair lol. Now I get it when all the naturals say that our hair is soo different you may not find someone with the same exact hair as you. I don't want to speak to soon, I really don't -- but I don't think I have bad shrinkage. It doesn't feel that way yet. Who knows... we'll see how things go like 2 months from now. Plus, I have heat damage to grow out and all that too.

Thanks for the idea !!!!!! I'm going to update my Fotki and upload all the 50 million pics I've snapped of my hair through out my transition and then free up some space on my phone. Thanks for the idea :think: I will certainly have that up before the week is out.

I hope my hair tomorrow holds up it's style for 2 days, b/c it took me at least 30 minutes to redo my entire head in cornrows, I sprayed each section lightly with water and then used Camille Rose aloe butter gel. That's what I used while transitioning and it was fine.

Britt

So my technique came out better today.

Yesterday I did about 9 cornrows. I cornrowed the root and twisted the ends and coiled the hair at the very end. I used a spray bottle with water and some Camille Rose aloe butter gel. Today, my hair is much more defined and looks better. I think when I get home maybe I can get away with some medium to large plaits to hold the style.

To hell with that miss Jessie's quick curls, it had no value add to my hair at all. I will stick with the Camille Rose aloe butter gel for textured styles. I was thinking I'd need a gel type product for hold. I have a few Annabelle's moisturizers, I'll get around to trying them for my braid outs.

EnExitStageLeft

Britt

I seen your avi and was like "OHHHHHH PURDY!", my nosy coworker peeked to see what I was looking at and just shook her head. Somebody asked her why and her response was "Hall lookin' at somebody hair again" :lachen:.

I really need to stop lurking here. My coworkers are starting to see just how addicted I really am.

Britt

@Britt

I seen your avi and was like "OHHHHHH PURDY!", my nosy coworker peeked to see what I was looking at and just shook her head. Somebody asked her why and her response was "Hall lookin' at somebody hair again" :lachen:.

I really need to stop lurking here. My coworkers are starting to see just how addicted I really am.

LMAO! I feel you! I'm always on the forum or on LSA or looking at hair at work. The other day I was on LSA and tried to stifle my laughter so badly that I sounded like I was gonna cry, my coworkers were like 'are you ok' :lachen:. If they only knew I was getting my lifeeeeee from whatever foolishness I was reading :rofl:

coolsista-paris

LMAO! I feel you! I'm always on the forum or on LSA or looking at hair at work. The other day I was on LSA and tried to stifle my laughter so badly that I sounded like I was gonna cry, my coworkers were like 'are you ok' :lachen:. If they only knew I was getting my lifeeeeee from whatever foolishness I was reading :rofl:

my boyfriend laughs at me and says " apl, bsl, wl, shrinkage, rollers, you watching a hair video again"... lol

my friends used to say i was so into hair"

Guinan

Re-Branding
Hi Ladies:wave:

I have officially decided to transition and would love to join this thread (if it's not too late). I am currently 10mths post. I plan on BC next yr. I have already cut off the front "U" section of my hair.

My reggie really hasn't changed much since transitioning. I shampoo/DC once a week and cowash once a week. My fav styles are braidouts and twistouts.

My texture is: 4A, 3C, 3B. Medium fine and very dense with AWESOME shrinkage.

My length: 14.5 inches on the sides and back and 4.5 inches in the front.

I attached sum pics of my hair:yep: I have Alafia(sp) leave-in, coconut oil and shea moisture enhancing smoothie. That combo made my curls POP!

Attachments

• blonde twist.jpg
    blonde twist.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 35
  • blonde.jpg
    blonde.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 41
  • blonde2.jpg
    blonde2.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 46
  • blondelength.jpg
    blondelength.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 33
  • crystal blonde.jpg
    crystal blonde.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

SuchaLady

I think Im going to buy that new Design Essentials line when I take my braids out. I need to start finding products that work on straight hair. Not really planning on wearing my hair curly and I want to know what my hair prefers before Im fully natural. I was watching some BC videos and 18-24 months of new growth is not enough hair for me :look: I may not ever do a big trim and just cut it gradually; if not Im considering either 4th of July next year or Christmas 2015.