Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Rae81

Question for ladies who are avoiding heat... and for those who are around a year or more post relaxer.

Can you see length on the ends? Or does your hair just grow outward (getting/looking bigger) as opposed to actually looking longer?

My hair is getting bigger. The only way I can tell how long my hair is by taking some hair and stretch out. But when I wet it I feel like it's getting shorter because the new growth is growing outward

sent from my galaxy

Daily temptation to BC? What the heck?! This urge better go away.

I need to start looking at some short natural hair tutorials so I'm not totally lost if I do it. Maybe it'll discourage me cause I'm too lazy right now to style it. :lol: I just wanna keep hiding my hair and growing it out. Having it look ragged and uneven keeps my hair under a cap or wig.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i can not stand straightening my hair and then watching it revert when i walk in a warm room...... argh!

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I kept getting the urge to BC this week; so, to curb it, I went to the salon and had her cut my straightened hair up from my shoulder to my ear as my cutting fix and to get me to completely natural faster. The picture is from my camera on my phone, so it didn't come out great.

I also took a picture of my natural curl from one of my shed hairs to motivate me. Apparently, I have a defined curl pattern. Who knew?

Can't wait to be fully natural! :yep:

Attachments

• hair curl.JPG
    hair curl.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 26
  • short hair.JPG
    short hair.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 27

Rae81

I am going to cut my hair the next time I straighten, maybe a lil below sl
My only fear is that if I do that I may be fully natural in the back

sent from my galaxy

havilland

@Rae81

i would cut the back and don't cut the front until next time.....that way you can still have some styling options that require longer hair in the front (like a bun or ponytail)....also if you don't like it, you didn't do your whole head.

Last edited:

likeacharm

I can't wait till all my hair is natural! I got my 1yr post hair flat ironed on sat. and my natural hair feels soo much more thick and healthy than my relaxed hair. I'm aiming for 2.5-3 years of transitioning, so I still have a long way to go.

CaliiSwagg

I used to subscribe to this thread during my transition, I am now 1 yr post BC and I can honestly say I should have went natural yrs ago. I got so many good ideas for styles, product recs, ect.

You ladies keep up the good work and continue doing what your doing! :yep:

A856

well I'm too lazy to do a search as to how many wks post, i do know I'm 2yrs post. and this morning i cut my raggedy permed ends, so i guess you can say im all natural!!!

off to the bss to get products so i can make this work:look:

shortt29

Okay....so.... I was diagnosed with female pattern baldness today and my derm wants me to keep track of my hair growth with photos. I laughed and had to confess that we do this all the time anyway. :grin:

Anyway, she would've taken the photo today but she said my natural hair makes it hard to see the problem area. She wanted me to straighten my hair so that it would be easier to track the growth. So I don't really know how to straighten my hair even though I do have a flat iron. I told her I'd have to consult my online hair buddies. :lol:

So, I'm not sure how to do this. I think I'm only going to straighten the hair surrounding the problem area. If so, does it have to be with a flat iron? Maybe I can blowdry it--but I don;t know how to do that either. Then I was thinking I could stretch my hair but not sure if that would do either. Any ideas?

Also-- the other day I was thinking about how nothing seems to work on my hair---and I was wondering if the amount of product I use can be a factor. Maybe I need to be more heavy-handed. I don't know.

shortt29 I also use Giovanni Direct Leave-In. What do you seal your hair with afterwards? What do you moisturize your hair with between washes?

Sorry daviine I'm just seeing this but I seal with grape seed oil. Honestly I Cowash almost everyday since I work out daily so I don't really moisturize between washes.

The Princess

First time using Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme and I like it. My hair has been dry for three days and tight to the scalp. I mist my hair with water and added the Buttercreme, instant moisture. I know it has bad ingredients but my hair is soft, smooth, moisturized and curly.

I see why it's a winner.

rayellejd14

I just got bored with my relaxed hair, so I've decided to transition. I'm 13 weeks post now, and apl. I'm trying not to use so much heat during the winter break, and I've fallen in love with these twist outs. I use Curls Unleashed, with kemi oyl on top when I do a twist out or bantu knot out. Otherwise, I flat iron w Silk Elements w Olive Oil and put kemi oyl on my hair everyday.

I didn't relax til I was 13, and I don't remember ever being so interested in my natural hair, now I can't stop touching it lol.

Rae81

I.used wen today and my new growth was popping, . Made me want to chop off all the relaxed ends and be fully natural

sent from my galaxy

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Tomorrow is 55/26. I can't believe two more weeks have gone by this quickly. I'm more than 2/3 of the way through my transition. I think. :look:

havilland

i am bunning it up for the moment....i want to get my hair professionally pineapple braided to put under a half wig. i can't believe i have too much hair to make a half wig really work for me anymore. it looks ok, but it's lumpy feeling and uncomfortable....i need a different plan. i'm sick of my hair right now. she's acting fine, but i am tired of styling. i want to put my hair away for a few weeks.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I have never worn a wig but I have been thinking about it. I want to wear straight hair but I don't want to use heat on my real hair.

sent from my galaxy

I have been wearing them for so long ppl think its mines. I havea lace closure in the front. If you search my name in this thread you will see a picture of it Rae81

All I keep thinking about is cutting off my relaxed ends. I just think it will be so much easier to manage. My hair tangles up at the line of demarcation.

Mines too, thats why I keep it braided and stretched out!
sent from my galaxy

I need to get into wigs

sent from my galaxy

Yes you do. They are all not wiggy like.

The urge to BC on New Years day is getting stronger by the second. MUST hide all shears tonight!!

You gonna have a Nappy New Year?

I keep thinking about cutting, but I remind myself that the relaxed ends I have left are helping me retain my natural hair as it grows.

Got some Nubian twist. January will be 9 months... I'm hopin to to keep up until next May... Probably will keep twist and full head sew ins in. I probably only have a couple of inches left because my hair was so short. Scurf and Jamaican castor oil have been doing wonders. I love those products.

Happy new year and happy natural hair growing in 2013

havilland

i cut about an 1inch and 1/2 off last night......just some scraggly ends that were holding on.

i can really see now why i couldn't retain past a certain length when i was relaxed. my hair is just too fine....the chemicals made my hair too weak. even with relaxer stretching, those ends just start to disintergrate after about shoulder blade length.

i did a length check on my natural rootage and my new growth is at shoulder length stretched.

i am going to flat iron and do a length check tomorrow before 2013 arrives.

then i am going to braid it up and wig it.

RazberryDazzle

I actually did the big chop a few years ago only to end up relaxing again and ending up with hard, dry brittle hair. I had achieved at least 12 inches of growth. Long story short, I now have 9 inches of hair that is nearly free of relaxer. I've been trimming off the dead hair gradually and wearing braids. It works! And thanks to this LHCF my hair is thriving!!

MsDee14

You gonna have a Nappy New Year?

I keep thinking about cutting, but I remind myself that the relaxed ends I have left are helping me retain my natural hair as it grows.

:nono: The urges have passed! If I ever get the urge again, I'm going to just hide my hair in some kinky twists or braids.

:nono: The urges have passed! If I ever get the urge again, I'm going to just hide my hair in some kinky twists or braids.

Ok. Good!

I need to get some kinky twists or braids soon. :scratchch That may help me get to May like I'd like. It seems like such a long way away though.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I've been watching tons of Big Chop videos for the last three days. I just keep thinking New Year: New Hair. It's all I can think about. I figure if I cut my hair now, it will force me to wear make up and jewelry, dress better, and just present myself better overall instead of leaving the house in the any-old-thing I've been wearing. I hope this feeling passes because cutting now will put me at a year earlier than my original plan and six months earlier than my latest goal. I really didn't want to have hair this short again. I'm supposed to wash my hair tomorrow. I just hope that my ends make it to the end of wash day.

missbugg21

:hiya:

I'd like to join this thread as I am officially transitioning for THE 3RD TIME! :lol:

I started my HHJ in May 2010 with my first transition attempt, but at 8mos. post, I relaxed because I figured I could just take care of my relaxed hair better and grow, grow, grow. Well, about 7 months into my new relaxed HHJ, I became pregnant and didn't want to relax while pregnant, so I started my 2nd transition attempt. AGAIN, at 8 mos. post (6 mos pregnant) I relaxed again and my hair was in excellent condition! It may have been the long stretches, or the pregnancy hormones (or combination of both), but I was very happy with my hair progress.

Then... when my son was 9 weeks old, the dreaded postpartum shedding began. I have a SEVERE case and although I am retaining length, I am losing a lot of hair. This, as well as my desire for an all around healthier lifestyle, I decided to transition to natural again.

My last relaxer was Sept. 1, 2012 making me currently 17 weeks post. I just put my hair into jumbo box braids to help me during my transition. I DO NOT plan to BC, but rather do mini-trims while I maintain most of my current length (APL - BSL).

Thanks in advance for your support... I will definitely need it. :yep:

SugarRush

Still lurking in this thread. I've had my twists for over 2 months now and I just wash and DC every 1 - 2 weeks, moisturize and bun. I really want to remove the twists but dealing with my transitioning hair can be so frustrating and I'll have the urge to just cut :nono: