Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
wow! everyone seems ready to cut cut cut! LOL

i'm not....19 months post and i am hiding under a wig until Christmas.....

Oneprettypa

HELP!!!

So I haven't had a relaxer since April of this year and I was NOT blessed with the ability to do my own hair! In order to not put heat in my hair, cut it or get another relaxer, I've been wearing sew ins since April. My husband made a subtle comment that he wants to see my real hair :nono::ohwell::perplexed!

Tomorrow I have an appointment to get my install taken down, washed and DC'd. Do you have any suggestions for a hairstyle that would last through the holidays that doesn't require a lot of heat? I browsed up thread but most of you are WAAAYYY more advanced than I am with hair :spinning:. Please help with a few LOW MAINTENANCE style suggestions! Thank you all!

fasika

I'm also transitioning from texlaxed hair (slightly over 10 months). I sometimes get the urge to BC and call it a day, other times I dream of relaxing it again.

I have 3 issues I'm trying to fix:
- Tons of breakage and shedding - I usually shed a lot (iron deficiency among other things), but it's super pronounced the past couple of months, and breakage is also on steroids.
- Finding a leave-in product that works great on both the relaxed and natural hair. This is proving really hard. I'm making do with great on relaxed and so-so on natural
- Flaking scalp - I've clarified, increased wash days, reduced wash days, oiled scalp, left it unoiled, etc. I've tried everything :nono:

shortt29

I've been so busy with school that I haven't been on LHCF like I used to :nono: but now that winter break has officially started for me, I'm baaaacccck!!!! :grin: But I'm, not exactly pleased with my transitioning hair. :nono: I will be one year post in February so I'm not sad but one section of my permed ends are gone...just snapped right off and I believe it was from bunning everyday. Even though I was moving the bun around, I'm not sure if my hair could take it.
My plan is to evaluate the state of my transitioning hair, trim more of the permed ends off and figure out a few other styles I can do without losing so much of the ends.

shortt29

fasika Looks like we are on the same timeline in our transition!!! I truly didn't want to lose any length but breakage has gotten the best of the middle and right side of the back of my hair :( I feel you on the breakage on steroids!

Have you tried Giovanni Direct Leave-in? I found that works really good as a leave in on my hair...keeps it moisturized and I wear A LOT of wet buns.

fasika

shortt29, no I haven't tried it even though I've seen it posted on this board for years. I might have to just bite the bullet and go get some. Thanks for the recommendation!!

How long are you planning to transition? I hope to reach 18 months - last time I transitioned, I lasted something like 20 months before cutting.

shortt29

fasika I don't ever plan on big chopping! I don't have the head or face for that so I will just trim and chop the ends until I am eventually perm free! In these 10 months, I had so much breakage and I my hair was dusting bsl when I first decided to transition...the perm ends are just leaving me on their own but I don't want anything shorter than shoulder length hair

fasika

That makes sense (to cut gradually) and that's what I tried to do last time I chopped. However, I ended up cutting it on a total whim, it was totally unplanned. I'd washed my hair and was trying to put it in a ponytail when the stringy ends just pissed me off. I took a pair of scissors to them and within 3 minutes I was done lol. After a 20-month transition, post-BC, the nape was at APL and the front was reaching a full NL (straightened). In hindsight that was a perfect length to cut at for me, so I'm hoping to get close to it now too.

Shinka

I went ahead and did it. Not too happy. I went to same natural salon, but tried a different stylist- she cut too much off and it's not very even. Kind of a buzz kill. Nonetheless, it's a big chop.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-1403787481.jpg
    image-1403787481.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2152718714.jpg
    image-2152718714.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 52

havilland

I went ahead and did it. Not too happy. I went to same natural salon, but tried a different stylist- she cut too much off and it's not very even. Kind of a buzz kill. Nonetheless, it's a big chop.

you look cute! congrats:yep:

yall are just leaving me!

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
HELP!!!

So I haven't had a relaxer since April of this year and I was NOT blessed with the ability to do my own hair! In order to not put heat in my hair, cut it or get another relaxer, I've been wearing sew ins since April. My husband made a subtle comment that he wants to see my real hair :nono::ohwell::perplexed!

Tomorrow I have an appointment to get my install taken down, washed and DC'd. Do you have any suggestions for a hairstyle that would last through the holidays that doesn't require a lot of heat? I browsed up thread but most of you are WAAAYYY more advanced than I am with hair :spinning:. Please help with a few LOW MAINTENANCE style suggestions! Thank you all!

Oneprettypa I say go with a curly style like a rod set or straw set. Either that or rollerset with the roots flat-ironed.

havilland

me and my wild child wig, Tammy. hiding my hair from Santa until Christmas

Attachments

• 100_1036.jpg
    100_1036.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_1040.jpg
    100_1040.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 56

Looks great! Congrats!

daviine

So purty! You look great!

daviine

Okay....so.... I was diagnosed with female pattern baldness today and my derm wants me to keep track of my hair growth with photos. I laughed and had to confess that we do this all the time anyway. :grin:

Anyway, she would've taken the photo today but she said my natural hair makes it hard to see the problem area. She wanted me to straighten my hair so that it would be easier to track the growth. So I don't really know how to straighten my hair even though I do have a flat iron. I told her I'd have to consult my online hair buddies. :lol:

So, I'm not sure how to do this. I think I'm only going to straighten the hair surrounding the problem area. If so, does it have to be with a flat iron? Maybe I can blowdry it--but I don;t know how to do that either. Then I was thinking I could stretch my hair but not sure if that would do either. Any ideas?

Also-- the other day I was thinking about how nothing seems to work on my hair---and I was wondering if the amount of product I use can be a factor. Maybe I need to be more heavy-handed. I don't know.

shortt29 I also use Giovanni Direct Leave-In. What do you seal your hair with afterwards? What do you moisturize your hair with between washes?

Highly Favored8

daviine

Please do not quote pictures.

The first three pictures are/is my hair now today. About 100 weeks post.

In the last picture in the solid blue shirt was my hair when I was transtioning. I chopped off all of my relaxed ends either in April or June of 2012. The other picture in my stripped blue shirt is when my hair was relaxed. In December 2010. Which was my last relaxer.

Last edited:

blue_flower

Last Friday I got my highlights touched up! I went to a Dominican salon so of course I got the blow out. My hair is still straight but I'm going to wash it tomorrow night. I'm very curious to see what my highlights will look like when my hair is curly again. Straight hair is too high maintenance and restrictive, that's why I rarely wear my hair straight.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=576111

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
^^^love your highlight pics. I'm thinking of a golden brown for me, but I'm nervous about dry hair and possible breakage.