Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Leslie_C

I took my two strand twists out this evening (well I guess last night now lol). In the AM Im planning a lounging around day and will prepoo/wash/dc/set.

AJellyCake

Hi, everyone! :wave:

I'm officially done with my transition! I chopped yesterday. I would have hit 17 months on August 12, but I threw in the towel.

I'm really happy that I chopped now. Although like chrisanddonniesmommy predicted, I'm not quite able to bun! :) I pulled everything into a low pony yesterday morning, but I only made it with the help of a million hair pins (my hair was really, really dry though, so I will try again). It's so fun playing in my natural hair. And it's so big! Whew! I have to get used to it!

Right now I am trying to get my first wash and go to dry. :look: I cowashed last night. Applied my stylers (Shea Moisture products, so thanks to so many of you for your enthusiastic recommendation of the products) and have been waiting for this hair to dryyyyyyy. Still damp though. If it doesn't come out right, I have some other products to try next. :yay:

Thank you all for your support! :thankyou::grouphug: Lol, I know that that is what this thread is about, but it was really helpful for me to be able to chat with you about my struggles.

I will leave my little gif here for posterity :p. Good luck with your transitions! I'm out! :superman:

Leslie_C

Hi, everyone! :wave:

I'm officially done with my transition! I chopped yesterday. I would have hit 17 months on August 12, but I threw in the towel.

I'm really happy that I chopped now. Although like @chrisanddonniesmommy predicted, I'm not quite able to bun! :) I pulled everything into a low pony yesterday morning, but I only made it with the help of a million hair pins (my hair was really, really dry though, so I will try again). It's so fun playing in my natural hair. And it's so big! Whew! I have to get used to it!

Right now I am trying to get my first wash and go to dry. :look: I cowashed last night. Applied my stylers (Shea Moisture products, so thanks to so many of you for your enthusiastic recommendation of the products) and have been waiting for this hair to dryyyyyyy. Still damp though. If it doesn't come out right, I have some other products to try next. :yay:

Thank you all for your support! :thankyou::grouphug: Lol, I know that that is what this thread is about, but it was really helpful for me to be able to chat with you about my struggles.

I will leave my little gif here for posterity :p. Good luck with your transitions! I'm out! :superman:

naturalnewb congrats on your BC....but how dare you not post pics!!!!! LOL

JJamiah

Going to wash and wear a curl former set this weekend.

I have been wearing braid outs. Finally got the hang of hem.

Washed my hair last night so I wouldn't be so tied up this morning.

Washed with As I am Coconut Cowash - I like it, I like it....
I treated my hair with Nexxus Emergencee
Washed again with 613
Deep COnditioned with Avon Moisture Mask
THen Set my hair with Curl Formers!

My set came out amazing as always, curl formers what an amazing tool :yep:

Leslie_C

Washed my hair last night so I wouldn't be so tied up this morning.

Washed with As I am Coconut Cowash - I like it, I like it....
I treated my hair with Nexxus Emergencee
Washed again with 613
Deep COnditioned with Avon Moisture Mask
THen Set my hair with Curl Formers!

My set came out amazing as always, curl formers what an amazing tool :yep:

JJamiah I like that As I Am Coconut Cowash too...since I started using it, I stopped using HEHH and my hair seems to have behaved better since. Love curlformers too. Last night I took down my twists and prepood and today I had a failed braidout (didnt let it dry all the way) turned into a big fluffy bun :)It would have been cute if I let it dry lol. My wash day resulted in super soft cottony hair today though :)

JJamiah

Leslie C sounds like you made it work.

Yes I am trying to limit some of the more expensive products in my budget. As you know 613 isn not up for debate. Yet, I can limit some of the extra Wen I do purchase :grin:, down to one 32 oz bottle.

I also ADORE adore the curlformers like no other. :)

How is your transition far other then the non-drying braid out last night?

FInally I have had two successful braid outs back to back, after several tries and no success. :grin: I am super excited.

My new growth and relaxer are now behaving themselves :)

The Princess

Everything still going good. Made it through July. Now August. Taking it month by month.

I was able to find Giovanni 2 chic shampoo and conditioner. I will be using it later. This weekend I will DC with Keracare Humecto. Just to finish the bottle. Wash with Keracare hydrating shampoo. It's actually a great shampoo. I willbe finish with it too.

McBrides3

Hey you guys I am 4 months post relaxer and almost going on 5. And I am looking for a hair reconstructors that it is mild. Not too little but not too much like the aphogee 2 step protein or the joico reconstructor but something in between to help with my breakage and shedding. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated :grin:

daviine

The Princess said:
Everything still going good. Made it through July. Now August. Taking it month by month.

I was able to find Giovanni 2 chic shampoo and conditioner. I will be using it later. This weekend I will DC with Keracare Humecto. Just to finish the bottle. Wash with Keracare hydrating shampoo. It's actually a great shampoo. I willbe finish with it too.

38 weeks. I'm also taking it month by month. This afternoon as i was getting ready for a party, I SERIOUSLY considered BCing. Then I pulled my hair back in a bun with some EcoStyler Gel and was like 'maybe not'. At the party, I was talking to a family friend who is natural. She also transitioned after stretching and after talking to her, I'm back in a transitioning state of mind.

My family so far haven't made any negative remarks so I'm happy about that.

The Princess

Let us know how you like the Giovanni. Is the humecto working for you because it stopped working for me and the shampoo seems to be losing its effectiveness also.

JJamiah @Ledlie_C I wanna try the As I Am now.....smh

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Today I was thinking about BCing but decided to calm down and just oil with castor oil instead. My hair and scalp just love it it seems so I'm going to have to stop being lazy and get back to oiling with castor oil.

I looked at pics of my hair when it was thick, texlaxed and WL and figured in a few years I'll be right back there if I give my hair some TLC and find a good regimen I can stick with for the two textures until I BC in 2014. I'm going to go through this thread and see if I can find a good shampoo and conditioner for this stage in my transition. I'll buy some HSN next week as well and up my game for the rest of the transition. I want thick, shiny healthy hair when I BC.

I just can't believe 12 months have gone already, here's to another 24!

Last edited:

cocomama

Hello Ladies,

I transitioned for 14 months...I did it 8 years ago when there was no YT videos LOL! I didn't know what I was doing either,I just knew that I didn't want to BC. I flat iron for a couple of months, but that was no good. So I started using bantu knots, braids, flat twist and twist outs.

I wish I knew about PreDeepPooing during my trasitiioning, because that would have made my life a lot easier. Deep Conditioning on dry hair for many hours helps detangle the hair like nobodies business. I have an article about it on my blog.no passwords needed...

Leslie_C

@Leslie C sounds like you made it work.

Yes I am trying to limit some of the more expensive products in my budget. As you know 613 isn not up for debate. Yet, I can limit some of the extra Wen I do purchase :grin:, down to one 32 oz bottle.

FInally I have had two successful braid outs back to back, after several tries and no success. :grin: I am super excited.

@JJamiah, its going great right now! I hope it stays that way. I have a lot more natural hairr in the back than in the front(had some short patches from breakage before I started transtioning, so those sections are mostly natural especially after trimming). My hair is longer on the bottom and sides...I may have to do another mini chop soon so it wont start looking like a mullet. If I cut some of the side length it takes on more of the shape of natural hair at that length. I was playing around in the mirror and would tuck the bottom and sides under my headband and I really like the shapeit gives...I have some height on top now lol. But we will see, cant get so scissor happy I cant get it into a bun, plus I like hangtime for twists and to work with for updo's. I just have this vision of a banging braid and curl or twistout with a fresh henna treatment...it would look so nice lol. But Im too lazy to do it every day and NEED to be able to bun as my go to style...low pressure :)

@The Princess I have a bottle of keracare humecto and keracare detangling sulfate free shampoo that I only used once and it didnt seem to agree with my hair very well. If you want to trade it for something lemme know.

Hey you guys I am 4 months post relaxer and almost going on 5. And I am looking for a hair reconstructors that it is mild. Not too little but not too much like the aphogee 2 step protein or the joico reconstructor but something in between to help with my breakage and shedding. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated :grin:

@McBrides3 Aphogee 2 minute Keratin Treatment, Aubrey Organics GPB, ORS Replenishing Conditioner (good moisture/protein balance), ORS Hair Mayo are good light proteins. They give you a protein boost without making your hair hard/dry/brittle. Henna acts as a protein for my hair too as far as it strengthens and seems to coat the strands and give them a little more oomph.

@daviine and HoneyA I often get impulses to BC as well...but I know how lazy I am and that I would be crying in front of the mirror with my hair looking a hot mess bc I needed to be somewhere in half an hour and didnt set my hair the night before. I just dont think I can do short hair lol. Anytime after my birthday next year (15 months) its fair game though! Id like to go for 2 years or more, but that depends on how much length Ive got and how frustrated I am with transitioning at the time. Wigs and weaves arent my cup of tea so I know I have to be able to work with what Ive got on my head when I chop.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess

try Elasta QP Breakage Serum....it's a light protein serum that you use as a deep conditioning treatment

McBrides3

Hey you guys I just had a quick question. When you guys deep condition. Do you guys use:

A Moisturizing Shampoo + A Deep Condtioner

A Moisturizing Shampoo + A Regular Conditioner (what I mean by that is a conditioner to add a little moisture like one by a cheap brand like suave, tresemme, Vo5 etc + a Deep Conditioner

Also is this a good balance

Prepooing
Using oils & a cheap conditioner + cleansing shampoo + Regular Hair conditioner + a Deep conditioner

Let me know
Thanks ladies

JJamiah

daviine

I like this line and it definitely is a staple now.

I have tried.... and adore...

As I Am Coconut Cowash
As I Am Double Butter
As I Am Moisture Milk

I like these products great moisturizers :)

When I plan to do a twist out, I will use the double butter, and moisture milk together. I did a braid out with the Double butter and was pleased :yep: plus just using it along my edges and on my ends to freshen up during the week is great. :D Soft soft hair.

The Princess

lesile C, Im glad to get rid of both items :) I probally shampooed my hair three times. They both are gone.

OMGosh, I just wish my natural hair would just hurry up and grow. When I needed a relaxer the NG would be overwhelming.

Vent Over

shortt29

JJamiah said:
Leslie C sounds like you made it work.

Curl formers and ponytail roller sets are making this long-term transition possible for me!

shortt29

PinkSunshine77 said:
My hair is crunchy with this Eco styler. Washing ASAP...tomorrow i'm tired.

Which Ecostyler did u use...I use Argan and the blue one...neither make my hair crunchy

JJamiah

Curl formers and ponytail roller sets are making this long-term transition possible for me!

shortt29 curl formers definitely helps with the transition.

I honestly can't wait to get my next hair trim in four months. I need to up my Protein because my ends are looking crazy. Will trim my hair every four months.