TRANSITIONING IN 2004, PLEASE HELP!

Vanilla

Ladies, I'm transitioning to protective styles for the new year. I've purchased a donut for my bun and a phonytail.
This is going to be very hard for me,because I've always worn my hair down.But after much rave about protective styling and the baggie method I'm getting on board.
The problem is keeping my hair moisturized. Any type of moisture I put in my hair immediately soaks it up like a sponge. I have very dry 4a/b hair with an itchy scalp. I need any type of advice that you have especially for leave-ins,moisturizers,and creating a good regimen.I would like to begin on Jan 1 and to join the 365 day challenge. Being the newbie that I am I have a question how do I know or how can I tell if something (shampoo/conditioner)is working for my hair or not? Sorry so long,but I need hepl. I would like to gain atleast 4-6 inches this year. Any suggestion!

congrats on your decision to transition
smile.gif
you will find lots of help from the ladies here and you may also want to try the Transitioners forum over at Nappturality.com HTH--jainygirl

hey Vanilla ! ! ! congrats for taking the plunge into protecting your hair.
weird.gif

as for myself, i can tell when a conditioner (or shampoo for that matter) is doing its job when it provides my hair with "slip." that's where i can easily slide my fingers through my coils. i use mane 'n tail deep moisturizing conditioner and paul mitchell the detangler for those jobs, just to give you some ideas of some good ones.
smile.gif

olive oil, jojoba oil, heck, just about any oil is good for holding moisture in or for use as a deep conditioner. HTH

There are quite a few threads on LHCF abotu this already. Hairlove had a topic recently about using vaseline. You may want to do a search for that one.

Hi Vanilla
smile.gif
I am on a new hair care regimen for 2004 myself! I had a dry and itchy scalp for a while...until i started using KeraCare dry itchy scalp moisturizing conditioner. Maybe you should give it a try. Also for added moisture I used Black Seed hair pomade. I love it. If you are interested in trying blackseed products check out http://www.amazingherbs.com :) If you have any questions about either product i recommended...just pm me. Best of luck to you!

Vanilla,

Maybe I misunderstood, but are you transitioning from relaxed to natural, or just transitioning into non-protective hairstyles to protective hairstyles? From your post it sounds like you're doing a hairstyle transition, is that right?

I found my biggest obstacle was styling the easiest way to transition is braids but get some individuals and the styles you can wear are limitless also your letting your hair rest but ensure you keep it hot-oil treated at least once a week even with the braids and also wash at least once a week as well. You will easily meet you goal and GNC ultra nourishair and msm will definitely be a plus in your transition efforts. happy hair growing

I just started using the baggie method several months ago, I love it!! For a leave-in I like Giovanni Direct Leave-in (it is a cream). To keep hair moisturized you can use vaseline (for your ends) and S-Curl or Sta Sof Fro(for the rest of your hair). As far as shampoo and conditioners, you probably will have to go by trial and error because there are so many and what works for one may not work for you. Some popular brands are Elucence, Keracare, Motions, etc.

Back