Toughest Growth Hurdle.

Biggest hurdle?

• Total voters
I voted nape to neck. For me, I am having hell at this length because I can't do crap to my hair. No buns or phony pony help is available for me!:cry:

Usually getting the hair from Nape Length or Ear Length to Neck Length is the easiest. All hair can grow to about 5-6 inches without even getting any proper care.

It's getting the hair past the 6 inches that vary for so many sistas. If they will or not (Neck Length) or how long it takes (1 Year - 1 & 1/2 Years)

Hair usually gets stuck at the shoulders because of the friction that's going on there... :(
I tried to wear my hair up as often as possible at that length, it really helped!

I have never in my entire life been SL, so I know crossing that hurdle will be even harder..I think it's more that I didn't believe or that I don't believe.

LAWD! APL to Brastrap takes FOREVER!
SL to APL was nothing.

It's been almost a year and I'm not there yet!

BSL to Midback
or
Midback +

It will grow to all those lengths just that the shedding i get daily thins the ends and I have to cut.

I cut many many inches off last year because it was growing but the shedding made the ends thin :wallbash:

I have gotten from neck to shoulder length before, so I think getting from shoulder length to armpit length will be my greatest challenge because you have to protect the oldest part of your hair and that is the ends. It seems as though the longer my hair gets the more tangled it gets. And it seems as though when I roll it now my hair seems to shed for some reason. I don't know if it is the clamps from my magnetic rollers, pulling on my hair or what, so I've just about gave up with that and just try to wear some kind of cute bun or something where I don't have to manipulate my hair much.:wallbash:

SL to APL has been a challenge for me because I have been focusing so much on it and plus I started with about 4 inches of damaged ends from color.

I reached shoulder lenght 8 months ago and still there. Still there I am so upset about it I just knew I would reach armpit by now. Its much harder then I imagine it would be. In April it will be a years since I been at shoulder length. Although I am not full shoulder length either. My hair is growing but at a snails pace. Keep Hope Alive

SL to APL is definitely the hardest for me. I'm in the APL by the end of 2007 challenge and its like no matter what my hair isn't budging and I'm literally just a teeeeeeny bit away!

But on the flipside, I can't complain because I did a BC in April of 07 and my hair was at my chin (the shortest my hair has EVER been) due to a bad weave. Since then, my hair has become healthier and stronger and it has grown at a great speed. Wish I could find an old picture with my hair cut..

Going from shoulder length to APL took forever for me. I think its partially due to the hair ends rubbing against the clothing.

Getting past BSL is the hardest for me!! I mean, geesh!! My hair has been stuck here for YEARS and I don't know why!! It's so discouraging!! :nono:

For me, I think it will be SL to APL since that's the biggest length jump for me. On my body, APL and BSL are about 2 inches or less away. I agree with the one who said this is the "danger zone". It's so true! and since I love wearing my hair down- (which is probably the reason I've always only been SL- regardless of the fact that my hair grows decently fast)- I'm going to have to rely on protective styling, lots of vitamins and minerals, hair care, and exercise to get over the hump.

I'm claiming '08 as my year though- I will be APL by December '08!

amara11

I would have to say SL to APL. unfortunately I've been trying to get over this hump for about a year now:ohwell: but I'm FINALLY getting there

The longest my hair has ever been is MBL that was 3 years ago. Even when I cut back to APL or BSL in a few months my hair would spring backto MBL.

Then when I major BC'd to about 1'' My hair seemed to spring to neck length then creeped to SL and then it seemed to be stuck there...

My conclusion? protection/ manipulation. This is a weird length to get past and its harder IMO to protective style @ this length....the hair has to be manipulated more and is thus more vulnerable to damage/moisture loss. ultimately resulting in splits breakage.

The combination of low mani and hiding hair are the truth I must say these the #1 things helping me right now

Before I was doing each by itself w/ no noticable difference TOGETHER is really the kicker IMO

I dunno how many times I've said this but its true YOU LADIES ARE THE BEST THING EVER!!!

:look: ok quietly walking away now....

been taking me forever to get to full covered bra strap *sigh*. defintley been the hardest so far to reach!

Last edited:
SL to APL for me.
I've been SL my entire adult life (I'm 24)
Even with the very strict protective styling
but I admit I have been slacking off a bit

IA with most that APL is the longest journey. Apart from the dangers of friction and your ends, it's also pretty far away from shoulder length. It can be six inches for some! That's an entire year's worth of growth -- and that's only with no trimming! So it's pretty far.

SL to APL, because our ends lay on our clothes and become very dry and welcome to splitends land:)...hair up in a clip or buns is really very helpful at this step of the game :)

I am thinking its going to take me forever to make APL from SL.....longer than a year I think. It will be a year in 2 months and I dont think imma make it.

Getting from SL to APL has proven kind of difficult for me. I personally think I've had to learn some crucial lessons at this in-between length because I initially made so many mistakes. I think many people at this stage go through the same thing and this is what keeps them here for quite a while.

Personally, I had to change my reggie to accommodate the longer hair, realise that protective styling wasn't actually best for retaining length, treat my hair differently etc. In the meantime, I trimmed too much, lost hair, let my hair get too dry etc.

I think once you're over this hurdle, the other lengths are easier to achieve (not necessarily faster though) because then you can adapt what you've learnt for the increased length and you know what to expect. Imo, it's just a waiting game from the on.

With that said though, I may still have to face unexpected and new challenges once I try to go from APL to BSL and beyond...I suppose only time will tell!

I voted SL to APL because Ive never been past SL in my life and now that I found this site...i still feel like its going to take forever! I guess I just have to step up my game..

I just snuck into the APL club, and although it took me longer than I would have liked it didn't take that long in comparison to some other people. I BC'd in June and I'm back to APL now. I couldn't figure out why it took so long cause my hair grows pretty fast and I never really wear it down; when I wear my puffs/WNGs I am neck length so nothing is rubbing on my clothes. I'm scared of BSL though...don't wanna get too length happy and mess up my progress, and when I hit full APL I am trimming so that will set me back too.

i started my journey in oct. '08 at jaw length hair and my hair is maybe an inch & half away from apl. i attribute my growth to daily massages.

Everything going down the back from APL on has been a true test of patience and a real character builder!!!

I think when I finally reach my ultimate goal of tail bone (stetched) I am going to be sooooo pic heavy when I create that thread it is going to bring down the LHCF site!

TRUST!!!!!

Back