Toughest Growth Hurdle.

Biggest hurdle?

• Total voters

Jessofpal

Thanks to stretching, moisturizing and sealing I went from nape length to neck length in 4 or 5 months. I'm hoping to get to shoulder length around easter. From your experience what is the hardest length to get to? I think getting from SL to APL will be hard but probably because I've never in my life had APL hair.

Going SL to APL takes for-ever. So many times I've thought about chopping it all off, it's just so frustrating. I'm riiiiiiiight there, literally centimeters away and I just can't get to there. I swear my hair is effin with me, trying to push my sanity to its limits :pullhair:

Common! SL to APL is infinity! I think protective style is the key. I think APL to BSL will by be a breeze by then!

To me it was/is from APL to Brastrap it took me more than one year:ohwell: and I'm not full brastrap yet!

Last edited:
I chose SL to APL. I am not full APL yet but a little lower than SL. (I plan to post update in journal on wash day this Mon) I call this the "danger zone" :nervous2: because ends have tendency to have so much contact with clothes and snag. I stretched for 13 weeks with mostly help from a claw clip pin-up do. I was relaxed last week and wore my hair down a quite a few days because I was surprised how much length there was now that NG was fully straightened. Now I have to put myself back in check and start using my claw clip again to get to the next level. My progress was beginning to jade my view of my ultimate goal. :look:

Last edited:
Going SL to APL takes for-ever. So many times I've thought about chopping it all off, it's just so frustrating. I'm riiiiiiiight there, literally centimeters away and I just can't get to there. I swear my hair is effin with me, trying to push my sanity to its limits :pullhair:

Same here. Ive given up!!! I dont know wtf to do anymore. WTF. My ends were grazing APL then i trimmed and lost some hair from taking out a weave by myself and now im back to SL. UGH

Definitely shoulder length to armpit length...its been like watching paint dry. I relaxed a few weeks ago and was armpit, then I got a little carried away with the scissors when I was dusting and it looks like its just barely grazing armpit. I think Ill be full Armpit by the end of the year. Ill be happy when its armpit even when airdried and not just when straightened all the way out. Im hoping for BSL by my birthday in May! Id better get on those vitamins!

I think sl to apl is going to be hardest because i've never been below sl. I calculate if i leave in my protective style/ growth style (braided in a honeycomb shape) in until june (refreshed bimonthly) and apply my growth aids and take my vitamins I should be apl by june 20th!

Same here girl. I moisturize, seal, take my vitamins, workout, drink plenty of water and protect my ends like there's no tomorrow :lachen:. What gives :ohwell:

To me in was/is from APL to Brastrap it took me more than one year:ohwell: and I'm not full brastrap yet!

This is EXACTLY how i feel about APL to BSL. I dunno, i though i would make it by the end of this year. The closer the time approaches, the more it seems unlikely.:perplexed

My hair is in between SL and APL and I want to cut it SOOOO BAD! Ahh, good for me I don't have any good hair clippers or anyone to cut it for me.

Sl to APL for me I am in between just waiting to gently brush ARMPIT I figure it will take me a year to actually get there.

To me in was/is from APL to Brastrap it took me more than one year:ohwell: and I'm not full brastrap yet!

Same here. :ohwell: SL to APL didn't seem to take that long at all. I'm scraping BSL, but I can't claim it yet. It seems like my hair's been the same length for a while. I guess this is just another case of "a watched pot never boils."

The front and sides of my hair are getting a lot longer, though. :yep:

SL to APL
5.gif

ladies I am getting worried!!!

I hope to claim full SL, maybe a little longer by June.

Is it THAT hard to get to APL??? I plan it be in protective styles 100% of the time. will that help?

I guess 1 year is the average time for SL to APL??

ladies I am getting worried!!!

I hope to claim full SL, maybe a little longer by June.

Is it THAT hard to get to APL??? I plan it be in protective styles 100% of the time. will that help?

I guess 1 year is the average time for SL to APL??

protective styles will help...most ppl say its the friction from your hair rubbing against your shoulders that makes that period so difficult to get past....so even if it isnt in a bun...a higher ponytail or up in a clip so it isnt rubbing your clothes will help....and moisturize those ends like there is no tomorrow!

I'm agreeing with just about everyone else. SL to APL seems to be the hardest.

I see women that stay shoulder length for years and years. I just don't know what it is about that length that makes it so hard to get through.

Same here. :ohwell: SL to APL didn't seem to take that long at all. I'm scraping BSL, but I can't claim it yet. It seems like my hair's been the same length for a while. I guess this is just another case of "a watched pot never boils."

The front and sides of my hair are getting a lot longer, though. :yep:

My front and sides grow like crazy! I have to keep cutting my sides to keep them the same length as my back area which seems to take forever to grow.

If the back area of my hair grew half as fast as my sides, I would be waistlength by now. Its so frustrating!!!

For me, going from armpit length to bra clasp length was the hardest (and it's the hardest again thanks to the butcher that hacked me in October. Why, yes, I am still mad).

I'm agreeing with just about everyone else. SL to APL seems to be the hardest.

I see women that stay shoulder length for years and years. I just don't know what it is about that length that makes it so hard to get through.
I notice that from a lot of the albums that I see and it makes me wonder. For me personally it isnt much of a hurdle. I am just about making it to APL after cutting it back to shoulder length in July. It usually takes me 4-5 months to go from SL to APL....But now I am at the length where Ive pretty much been my entire life besides the one time I was BSL so this is going to be interesting:drunk:

I would say that SL to APL took the longest, except I've been APL many times over. I just had a hard time getting there during my transition because I had so much relaxed hair to clip along the way.

But once I hit APL it only took about 6 months to hit BSL. I could say that hurdle was tough too, simply because I'd never been BSL before going natural. But it seemed to come so easily once I was completely natural.

So I have to say the toughest hurdle was getting past BSL. It seemed to take forever. But really only took about 10-11 months. In all fairness, I had some substantial trims, but that could be said for the road from APL to BSL too, which only took 6 months. It took a long time to see progress when I was BSL. Hopefully the road from MBL to WL isn't as long.

Back