Too young for the bible

syze6

I bought my children ages 10 and 11 a children's bible. They have enjoyed reading a chapter each nigh before bed. My husband says, they are too young for the bible.

My husband at some point decided that church is not necessary! I take the children and when he is off, he stays home. He finds everything wrong with church people but yet his circle of friends are the same church people he describes. He has been engulfed in reading the Quaran and all type of African gods and goddess books and everything about church has become something he feels is misleading.

It is frustrating to see him stay home from church but continue to go any other place he desires. I feel it is the man who is to lead his family to God, but I'll continue to do so all on my own!

Ms.Honey

I bought my children ages 10 and 11 a children's bible. They have enjoyed reading a chapter each nigh before bed. My husband says, they are too young for the bible.

My husband at some point decided that church is not necessary! I take the children and when he is off, he stays home. He finds everything wrong with church people but yet his circle of friends are the same church people he describes. He has been engulfed in reading the Quaran and all type of African gods and goddess books and everything about church has become something he feels is misleading.

It is frustrating to see him stay home from church but continue to go any other place he desires. I feel it is the man who is to lead his family to God, but I'll continue to do so all on my own!

This is the time when you need to privately fast and pray OFTEN. This is the Lords battle, you know He's faithful. Come into agreement with His Word on the scriptures that state that a man is to lead his family and repeat them until your DH converts.

Stay encouraged and be patient. I'm coming into agreement with your prayers according to God's will.

tmichelle

I agree with Ms Honey's suggestion of fasting and prayer. Also, the Bible says you can win your unbelieving spouse over through a gentle and quiet spirit, so there is still hope! As for your dh's comment that your 10 and 11 year old are too young to read the Bible. That is not true. My father read us a chapter a day from as long as I can remember (like 4 yrs. old) until high school. No, I didn't understand everything, but there was so much value in it and now I have the habit of reading my Bible every night, thanks in part to my father who taught me by his example how important it was.

HeChangedMyName

I agree with Ms Honey's suggestion of fasting and prayer. Also, the Bible says you can win your unbelieving spouse over through a gentle and quiet spirit, so there is still hope! As for your dh's comment that your 10 and 11 year old are too young to read the Bible. That is not true. My father read us a chapter a day from as long as I can remember (like 4 yrs. old) until high school. No, I didn't understand everything, but there was so much value in it and now I have the habit of reading my Bible every night, thanks in part to my father who taught me by his example how important it was.

I agree with Ms. Honey too. fast, pray, get down on your face and let God know what you need. As far as the children, they are not too young at all, my youngest are 2 and 3 and I read to them out of a children's Bible. We focus on making the stories fun, but once the Word gets in you, it is in you.

kbragg

I am coming in to agreement with the rest of the ladies as well for your family OP. As far as being too young for the Bible, my daughter read the Bible cover to cover in 120 days right along with me (She read the NIRV version for kids) and understood everything (as we discussed it and I answered her questions). She may be young, but the same Holy Spirit that dwells in me dwells in her and He is a fully gown Holy Spirit not a "kiddie version." You keep reading to those children and lead them to Christ sister. Your husband can be won by your example. He may, he may not as it is he free will to choose, but trust that Christ is sufficient for you in all this. :)

mrselle

“The wife can sanctify the husband.” That is the word my prayer partner gave me a year before I got engaged. Remember that the wife can sanctify the husband. Don’t preach to him, but show him your kind, gentle and loving spirit through your actions. And as far as him saying that your children are too young for the Bible…don’t listen to him, especially if they are enjoying reading a chapter every night. I was around their age when I started asking my parents questions about God and the Bible and instead of taking the time to explain it to me they decided that I was too young to understand. Twelve years old, they decided, was the age that I might understand. Well twelve years old came and went and no one ever explained it to me. I learned when I went away to college and found a church that I could learn and grow with. Keep doing what it right. Everything will work out.

NGraceO

I am coming in to agreement with the rest of the ladies as well for your family OP. As far as being too young for the Bible, my daughter read the Bible cover to cover in 120 days right along with me (She read the NIRV version for kids) and understood everything (as we discussed it and I answered her questions). She may be young, but the same Holy Spirit that dwells in me dwells in her and He is a fully gown Holy Spirit not a "kiddie version." You keep reading to those children and lead them to Christ sister. Your husband can be won by your example. He may, he may not as it is he free will to choose, but trust that Christ is sufficient for you in all this. :)

AMEN!!!! ITA with that statement! Such a blessing, I really want that for my children, whenever I have them. God Bless! I am also keeping the OP in my prayers!!

BeautifulRoots

ITA!! Soo true. Im no parent, but I thought that was said well. I also have some scriptures as far as the "kids being too young"...

"Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it." (prov 22:6);

Also Deut 6:5-7
"5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."