Help!!!! Bible & finding my way back.

Nella

Hi,

It's been quite some time since I stepped into the church and this evening I'm going to visit a church. I have been wanting to go since April of this year and as sad a it sounds I still haven't went. Well, in the last few weeks I have been invited to a couple of churches. I was invited to a church by my doctor and just recently a friendly group of young people knocked on my door to go to one down the road from me. The desire is there and I have decided to attend the evening service tonight I feel good about it too. I believe that with this being my own choice I will find a good church home as I'm ready to change my life.

I don't have a bible and although I won't be buying one today. I have looked at quite a few. I have looked at The Power of a Praying Woman Bible KJV and would also like to find a good Study Bible.

I was hoping that you ladies could direct me in a path that would help me to get a really good understanding of The Bible. I don't know what happened to the Bible I had and I guess when I walked away my bible did too. Any words of encouragement and tips for studying the word or choosing the right bible would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Well this isn't expert advice but this is what I did I started with the book of John and the moved into Romans. But in between Romans I read the Psalms, that book can target every emotion known to man and when there were days I couldn't or just didn't know how to pray I could find a Psalm to express how I felt. But that was just how I did it.

i like the Open Bible as a study bible. i suggest that you add bibles as you go along. at some point get a parallel bible. most churches use the KJV. if you get an NIV get it now before they change the words in the newer versions. i think the NKJV is probably a good "happy medium".

Download-able e-book Revised/Updated Open Bible
http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/OPENBIBL

Hard copy open bible:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christ...4&cm_mmc=CBDfeeds-_-froogle-_-bibles-_-014774

this website has hundreds of study bibles
http://www.lifewaystores.com/lwstore/dept.asp

there are also online resources that are free and will act as a study bible. they are user friendly and you can learn alot. they will allow you to read different versions side by side and serach for terms etc.

i like:
blueletterbible.org
biblegateway.org
bible.com

It's so great that you're getting back to the word! With all those invites at the same time period, it looks like God sent out an amber alert on you, lol! I suggest a parallel bible as well. I have a KJV/Amplified version. I love the Amplified version b/c it breaks a lot of the words down without diluting or comprimising the original meaning/effect of the word. Some of the easier to read versions do this. I also have a chronological NKJV bible which is very useful as well because it gives you background information/history that can give you lots & lots of understanding, and bring everything you're reading to life.

As far as a reading plan goes, most bibles come with one, or you can just go and purchase a devotional and study off of those. The websites 1star mentioned are good for reading plans/devotionals too.

After a while, when you've gotten into the swing of things, and really wanna dig in, I would reccommend using a concordance as well. A concordance is usually used with a KJV bible and gives you the original meaning of the word in hebrew or greek. This is good to have to just see for yourself what the meaning of a word is. A lot of times, this will change your whole outlook on what is really being said, as opposed to just reading it at face value. You can get a hardcover one or just use one online for free.

I am so excited for your return to church! :grin: ITA with the wonderful advice given. Going on line and searching through the many versions of particular passages always gives me wonderful insight while I am studying whatever bible I have on hand.
Another thing that helped me in the beginning was studying early in the morning. I would pray to start my day, and then I would ask the Lord what He wanted to share with me in His word by His Spirit. I would then open the bible and it would always be at a passage that would speak to my heart. It amazes me the way He does that! (But with all things, when it's time to grow up, things don't happen as they used to... but now the joy is in the search!).

Ladies,

Thanks so much for all of your help. I attended Church yesterday and the service was pretty good. I also went to the Bible bookstore and bought the Womens Devotional Bible. However, I really liked the layout of the Life Applications Bible for Study.

I'm going to use the websites that were given and study online as I work evenings during the week and won't be able to attend the Wednesday night Bible Study.

I read the bible passages that the Pastor mentioned but, his sermon was so quick that I really didn't understand the bible passages. It could have been that I was overwhlemed but, I wrote down each one of the passages he read and decided I would come home and try to get a deeper meaning of the message.

I will share them with you guys sometime this evening as I'm headed to work now. I appreciate all of your help.

i like the Open Bible as a study bible. i suggest that you add bibles as you go along. at some point get a parallel bible. most churches use the KJV. if you get an NIV get it now before they change the words in the newer versions. i think the NKJV is probably a good "happy medium".

Download-able e-book Revised/Updated Open Bible
http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/OPENBIBL

Hard copy open bible:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christ...4&cm_mmc=CBDfeeds-_-froogle-_-bibles-_-014774

this website has hundreds of study bibles
http://www.lifewaystores.com/lwstore/dept.asp

there are also online resources that are free and will act as a study bible. they are user friendly and you can learn alot. they will allow you to read different versions side by side and serach for terms etc.

i like:
blueletterbible.org
biblegateway.org
bible.com

I mainly use NIV, but I do consult other translations on a fairly regular basis. The NIV translation update is scheduled for 2011, so you have a little time.

zodervan's the journey bible is greatttttttt it's niv but has great devotional parts for you to meditate and think upon if you're not into the 11pt font try the life principles bible it has great devotion sections too

Back