To Those Who Wear Ponytails Often...

Isis

I wear ponytails from time to time but mainly as a quick and easy style. I was thinking about wearing one more often with some new hair accessories I have my eye on. :)

What advantages have you found wearing a ponytail most or all of the time? Have you experienced any disadvantages wearing this style a lot? :headspin:

mochamadness

Going the Distance
I don't wear ponytails everyday, but I have started to wear them more often then I ever did in the past. I think that as the hair gets longer, the ponytail becomes more convenient than wearing the hair out all the time.

I also love the fact that I get to wear all of my cute hair accessories such as my flexi-8, chop sticks, banana clips, hair forks and such. They really help to dress up my ponytails and keep them from looking so plain and boring.

I haven't experienced any disadavantages as of yet.

MizAvalon

I wear them a fair amount and haven't really experienced anything negative. They are very cute and lots of fun!:yep:

MsCounsel

I love ponytails and with the use of cute accessories, you can make them ready for casual and for evening wear. My only suggestion would be to not pull the pony too tight. HTH

vivEz daNs lamouR

I wear pony's just about everyday, mostly because I don't want my ends rubbing on my clothes but my buns are messy buns and I feel like my ends run more of a risk of getting damaged by not properly folding them under or tucking them.

I just change the height of the ponytail so that my scalp doesn't get stressed and I don't make them too tight. It helped tremendously in retaining my length.

Isis

Thank you ladies! Hmm... so far it sounds like a good idea. :scratchch

Mochamadness - I am looking at hair forks and chops sticks also as well as making some like this at Longhairlovers and maybe making something like these crystal ones with my jewelry. I have made some nice chop sticks a while back for my buns.

Smcbarnett- It's great you are retaining length by wearing ponytails. :up: I do prefer wearing my ponytails low at the nape. I don't know if I can avoid having it touch my clothing though.

REConsul - I agree about not wearing them tight and I avoid it by using very little tension. :yep: Making them for casual or evening sounds very good to me. :)

MizAvalon - You're right, ponytails really are cute! :)

PinkSkates

I wear ponytails a lot; and suffer no bad effects. I wear mine high so the ends don't touch my clothing. And I take turns wearing my pony pulled to left, right and center so the banding is not always in the same place.

Isis

I wear ponytails a lot; and suffer no bad effects. I wear mine high so the ends don't touch my clothing. And I take turns wearing my pony pulled to left, right and center so the banding is not always in the same place.
Thank you Pinkskates. I may need to learn to wear my ponytails high. ITA about changing the positions. :yep:

senimoni

I agree on not making them tight but you don't want them to loose either. Wearing loose/hanging ponytails broke the nape off...for me anyway. YMMV.

sareca

I wear a very loose ponytail (puff) almost every day.

The only downside is it can get a little monotonous and they can cause damage if they're too tight (esp on wet hair). I like them because they're easy, no contact, and can be dressed up or down.

inthepink

I wear ponytails a lot! I haven't noticed any negative effects. I try not to make my ponytails too tight and take them down when I'm at home.

Isis

I wear ponytails a lot! I haven't noticed any negative effects. I try not to make my ponytails too tight and take them down when I'm at home.
Hi Hairlove! :wave: It's great to see you!

Your hair is always long and gorgeous and it's good to know you wear ponytails a lot! :yep: I also like that you take it down when you get home. I haven't thought about that. Thank you for this tip. :up:

Isis

Senimoni- Sorry to hear that even loose ponytails broke off your nape. I didn't know that could happen and I hope it doesn't happen to everyone. Perhaps not having the nape in the ponytail would work better for you, such as wear a low ponytail that hides the nape.

Sereca - I too love that it can be dressed up or down. ITA about not doing it tightly on wet hair. :yep: The ponytail rollersets I used to do was not tight--mainly they were used for separation of sections.

daniemoy

I wear ponytails almost every day. Its easy and it functions as my protective style. I am recovering flat iron junkie. Bet advise is to make sure your nape is moisturized.

Isis

I wear ponytails almost every day. Its easy and it functions as my protective style. I am recovering flat iron junkie. Bet advise is to make sure your nape is moisturized.
That's a very good point Daniemoy, keeping the nape moisturized. :yep:

lilamae

hi isis...I have been wearing ponytails for about 90% of my life! no negative affects what so ever. I often air dry in ponytails:look: It works great for me. i usually twist it then pin it up. It looks sofisticated and conservative. ( also castro oil help smooth my ponytails down a lot!:yep:)

Isis

hi isis...I have been wearing ponytails for about 90% of my life! no negative affects what so ever. I often air dry in ponytails:look: It works great for me. i usually twist it then pin it up. It looks sofisticated and conservative. ( also castro oil help smooth my ponytails down a lot!:yep:)
Wow! 90% of your life?!

Thank you Lilamae, that's something I haven't tried yet, airdrying in a ponytail. I can see how that would work too... :scratchch Castor oil is great. :yep:

I love these positive ponytail stories! Please share more! :drunk:

chicacanella

I wear ponytails sometimes but I try to put it high enough so that it doesn't touch my clothing. I used to be able to put it in the middle of my head and not have it touch my clothing but now, since my hair has grown out significantly I'm not able too. So, I have to put it up high which is what you probably would have to do to Isis.

Isis

I wear ponytails sometimes but I try to put it high enough so that it doesn't touch my clothing. I used to be able to put it in the middle of my head and not have it touch my clothing but now, since my hair has grown out significantly I'm not able too. So, I have to put it up high which is what you probably would have to do to Isis.
Thank you Chicacanella. :) I'll have to play around with the position(s) of it. If it's too high, I'm wondering if that might look wierd. It might look great, we'll see. I'm wearing a side ponytail now. :)

ETA: I'm glad I grew out my nape.

Leslie_C

I wear ponytails a lot...they look much longer and fuller when u wear a banana clip (I like the ones that are shorter with wider teeth) or a hairzing. I love those things. I usually try to do them higher up as well so they dont rub my clothes....if they are gonna rub your clothes u might as well go all out and wear your hair down lol.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I wear a ponytail like the one in my siggy every day. I haven't had any problems with it thank god. I think I retain a lot of length by wearing ponytails because they are very low manipulation for me. I switch up from roller set ponytails to braid-out ponytails, and wash n'go pony's. I even roller set my hair in a ponytail, lol.

I am interested in some accessories so I will check out the links you posted.