PoNyTaiLs Questions...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Does anyone experience breakage with a ponytail?

If not, do you consider it a protective style?

Also, does wearing the same style over and over cause breakage?

So far, buns and braid-outs are not working for my hair...I think because my hair isnt long enough
ohwell.gif

Rollersets work well with my hair but sometimes I dont always want curls in my hair...
So I was considering just wearing a ponytail a lot since it is easy to do.

Please leave your suggestions as a post in this thread...if nothing else works for me, should I wear a ponytail or not?

I don't... I don't make my pontytail too tight. My hair is in a ponytai most of the time and I think its healthy for my hair. I spray some leave-in on the sides and pull my ponytail back and out the door I go
weird.gif

I stopped wearing phonytails because my hair started breaking off, I don't know if it was because I was wearing them too tight or because they were too heavy. I wear my hair roller set most days. Most of the time my hair looks like a wrap with bump with my roller sets because I use the largest roller that I can to get a very loose set. My hair is short around ear lenght most places and then very short in the middle where it break off.

I hold my ponytails with a clip so its not really tight at all. Its somewhat slack where the clip is. If you pull it back too tight to the point where the sides of your eyes look almost slanted then your hair may break from being too tight.

HTH

I've recently found that a ponytail holder made from a cut strip of pantyhose leg works well and with less damage than those ouchless bands.

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
I hold my ponytails with a clip so its not really tight at all. Its somewhat slack where the clip is. If you pull it back too tight to the point where the sides of your eyes look almost slanted then your hair may break from being too tight.

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

What type of clip? A metal one?

I've lived by ponytails from my teenage years and have not experience breakage from them as long as you use the right ponytail holders. You also have to give your ends TLC since they're out and about!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
nolechik said:
I've lived by ponytails from my teenage years and have not experience breakage from them as long as you use the right ponytail holders. You also have to give your ends TLC since they're out and about!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA!!!

To clarify... Im talking about PONYtails...not PHONYtails.

I need more suggestions for this...are ponytails a protective style for hair if its not too tight?

Ive worn my ole faithfull ponytail for years now , with no breakage whatsoever....it just depends on what your hair can handle ..i think

Yes, make the ponytail loose please, I have has severe breakage in the past from wearing them too tight because my hair was too short for one. Other suggestions I can think of are french braids, one or two, or a french roll.

I wear ponytails or a version of a ponytail 99.9999% of the time and I haven't experienced any breakage that I could attribute to wearing them. I keep my hair moisturized and try not to pull it too tight. When I get home in the evening and don't plan on going back out, I take the ponytail down, moisturize my hair, and pin it up. Also, if I'm napping or lying around on the couch, I'll usually take the ponytail down b/c I don't want to "pull" my hair as I'm moving around.

I wear modified ponytails often. I consider it to be a protective style and I keep my hair moisturized with bottle water mist and some essential oils.

I use the top of a cut off knee high stocking as my ponytail band. I tie it loosely then twist my hair around the band(this makes it look like a bun) Or I braid the loose hair from the ponytail and twist it around the band and clip the end of the braid with a pin(the decorative type of pins with ornaments on one end)

It helps to switch the position of the ponytail. I wear my ponytails low , high or to the side.

[ QUOTE ]
aikaa71 said:
I wear modified ponytails often. I consider it to be a protective style and I keep my hair moisturized with bottle water mist and some essential oils.

I use the top of a cut off knee high stocking as my ponytail band. I tie it loosely then twist my hair around the band(this makes it look like a bun) Or I braid the loose hair from the ponytail and twist it around the band and clip the end of the braid with a pin(the decorative type of pins with ornaments on one end)

It helps to switch the position of the ponytail. I wear my ponytails low , high or to the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aikaa71, Do you have a pic?

Back