To those who press or naturals

I was wondering those of you who press or who are natural what is the best way to stop breakage. I 've been natural for about a year now, and last November I began pressing my hair off and on. Lately I've been going every two weeks to have it pressed, because of work committment that requires really long hours (the natural styles I wear usually require A lot of stylilng and at least washing twice per week). Anyway, this week I notice some short strands on the top of my head and defitnely seeing hair fall throughout the day. The last thing I want to do is have damaged hair as a natural head, so I am curious if anyone knows how I could curb this problem. I plan to stop pressing for a while at the end of this month when my schedule becomes normal again, but in the mean time are there any styling products etc, I could use to curb the breakage. Thanks.

so1913

sunshine91496 said:
I was wondering those of you who press or who are natural what is the best way to stop breakage. I 've been natural for about a year now, and last November I began pressing my hair off and on. Lately I've been going every two weeks to have it pressed, because of work committment that requires really long hours (the natural styles I wear usually require A lot of stylilng and at least washing twice per week). Anyway, this week I notice some short strands on the top of my head and defitnely seeing hair fall throughout the day. The last thing I want to do is have damaged hair as a natural head, so I am curious if anyone knows how I could curb this problem. I plan to stop pressing for a while at the end of this month when my schedule becomes normal again, but in the mean time are there any styling products etc, I could use to curb the breakage. Thanks.

DEEP conditioning and caution. I have a natural friend who gets her hair pressed the old fashion way with the comb and oven (not electric). If the comb was to hot, it will singe the hair, leaving broken pieces.

It would be ideal if you could cut down on the pressing. Opt for regular deep condioners including protein treatments, a good leave in (people have been discussing BBD Stretch Reconstructor Creme lately which is a leave in,).

Nefertiti0906

I just went throught a "straight spell." I used Nexxus Emergencee every two weeks and I deep conditoned my hair weekly. I roller set my hair each night and oiled the ends every other night. Other than that I didn't mess with my hair at all.

unlvgirl

My Crown and Glory
so1913 said:
DEEP conditioning and caution. I have a natural friend who gets her hair pressed the old fashion way with the comb and oven (not electric). If the comb was to hot, it will singe the hair, leaving broken pieces.

It would be ideal if you could cut down on the pressing. Opt for regular deep condioners including protein treatments, a good leave in (people have been discussing BBD Stretch Reconstructor Creme lately which is a leave in,).

It sounds like maybe your stylist maybe burning your hair and that is why you are seeing short pieces. I have never experienced breakage and I have been getting my hair pressed for a long time. Maybe the heat is too much for your hair.

I think you might be right about too much heat. The last two times I did notice she seems to hold the curling iron way to long before release. I will have to say something I guess. But the deep conditioning should work. I worked really hard to get where I am now, so I am really kind of nervous. I called her up and she said I should come in for a hot oil and deep conditioning . My feeling is that I should try to doing the twist/twist out for at least two weeks to see how things go from there. Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep all posted.