To the ladies that do their own relaxers.

sunnieb

Subscribing.

My plan is to get my final salon relaxer next January and begin doing them myself after that. I will also get a good cut at that time since I'm on the no trim challenge now. I already have a folder to keep all my research in.

Ballerina_Bun

When and why did you start self-relaxing?

** When: late high school.

** Why: The stylist that my mother had been taking me to always burned my scalp. I called to complain once the following day, because I woke up and there were horrible scabs all over my scalp and she tried to make it seem like it was normal. She was ruining my mother’s scalp too. In hindsight, I remember her washing out the relaxer with cheap sauve shampoos sometimes. I have to wonder now if she was using neutralizers. It’s funny, because she had beautiful long hair. She was always cutting my hair after each touch-up. Who has 2-3 inches of split ends, really! People mistake frizzy ends for split ends.

How have you benefited from it?

** I know exactly what’s being used in my hair.

No more scabs.
No more huge “trim”= SHS
… etc

Were there any setbacks when you started?

**No, it went just fine. It was actually a secret the first time. I said I forget to get something, so I went back into the store and purchased a relaxer. I did it secretly in my bedroom. When I was finished and had it styled, I asked my mother if she liked it and it if felt ok. She did. Then I told her what I had done and asked if I could start doing my own relaxers, and she agreed. The only person other then myself that has put a relaxer in my hair since then was once by my sister and once by a man in Stockholm. He was the best!

I'm considering self relaxing any advice?
** I'm not sure what advice to give. I would have to give that some thought, because it's just 2nd nature to me now ... hmmmmm

Last edited:

KdsLady09

When I was in high school. My mother used to put relaxers in for me and I just taught myself from there. I am originally from a little town in VA and there was never a good selection of black hairstylists so I generally didn't have a choice.

Saved lots of $$$$. I also like the fact I am not dependent upon someone else to do my hair. It has allowed me to be creative. It also has allowed me more confidence to embark on the long, healthy, hair journey I have started.

Were there any setbacks when you started? Set backs up until joining LHCF. Never really thought about it, but my hair would always break off. :nono: Retention was really hard for me and I am sure it was due to the fact I was overprocessing and overlapping my relaxers.

- Practice first with conditioner so that you can see what process (sectioning, applying with hands or brush, using pins or ponytail holders for sections, etc.) works best for you.
- Use a base for your scalp
- Use a pH balance conditioner after rinsing the perm (i.e. Roux porosity control)
- Use olive oil on your ends to protect them.

Good luck!

Mz.Shug

Thakyou for all of the wonderful responses!This was very helpful indeed.I'm going to self-relax next Saturday so I'm researching everything I can. I'll post pictures when I relax!Thanks again.

P.S.More responses are always welcome!

vkb247

I have been doing my own chemicals for about 15 years, Dyeing, relaxing, texturizing, and wave nouveauing. I never thought that it wasn't normal for me to do my own hair. Lots of people do it here.

I haven't had half the horror stories that other ladies have about burnt scalp, under neutralized hair, excessive trims, too much heat. I also had a good understanding of my hair and how to handle it because I have dealt with it so much.

I never thought about health when I was going for a certain look so I was killing my hair with expirements whenever I was bored. I have always had SL thick hair and never cared about having it fall out or cutting it because it always came right back.

I'm considering self relaxing. Any advice? Do a post-rinsing protein step. Use a lye relaxer. Don't be afraid to underprocess.

deltagyrl

I tried to self relax in '07 and caused major damage. I freaked and didn't get the nerve up again until this year after relocating to another part of the country.

No hairstylist mouthing off about my "stretches" or charging extra b/c I do. No ridiculous waits for service. No bass ackwards hair advice.

Yes, breakage. I should be mbl by now. :ohwell:

High-end products. Salon dryer. Research the process and believe in your ability to self relax successfully.

SpiritJunkie

What's crackin ladies?

I started to self relax out of necessity. I bought a house 5 years ago and hod to cut costs.

Wow! It's been quite the experience. Trial and Tribulation. Learned alot off this board. I am now (finally) retaining growth and my hair is alot stronger and healthier.

Yes, having the ability to move quick and relax within 20mins. i did it in 1/2's in quarters but still wasn't quick enough.

Have patience. you will need that as time progress and you learn what works for you. Also when neutralizing let the shampoo sit on your head for 5 mins or so and use a mild reconstructor. Base your scalp the night before and cover your previously relaxed hair with conditioner.

Good Luck!!

myronnie

I started way back in 2007 self-relaxing because I didn't like how my stylist treated my hair. She would always comb through it (NG and all!) and relax the heck out of it. I hated the burns and the stuck-to-your scalp feeling. My scalp was taking a beating..

I could tell a difference between the hair that I relaxed and the hair that the stylist relaxed. The hair that I relaxed was thick and the strand itself felt strong until i got to the part that the stylist relaxed..it was thin and lifeless.

I underprocessed my hair a lot at the beginning. This led to tangles knots and a lot of lost hair. Also sometimes I go crazy and relax it too straight for my liking.

Don't stretch for a long time before your first self-relaxing..That will make it much easier.

deltagyrl

What caused the breakage? (App. process, not rinsing enough?)

A combination of all of that. I was underprocessed and did a corrective but I probably didn't rinse as well as I should have. I also didn't neutralize with my first post-relaxer wash.

Oh, and I had stretched for like 5 months, too.

Definitely jacked that one up.

I've self relaxed twice now and I'm still perfecting my process. No breakage, scabs or issues so far.

*Where's everyone getting Mizani relaxers from? :look:

locabouthair

A combination of all of that. I was underprocessed and did a corrective but I probably didn't rinse as well as I should have. I also didn't neutralize with my first post-relaxer wash.

Oh, and I had stretched for like 5 months, too.

Definitely jacked that one up.

I've self relaxed twice now and I'm still perfecting my process. No breakage, scabs or issues so far.

*Where's everyone getting Mizani relaxers from? :look:

I was buying the Mizani relaxer from the BSS.

BeautifulFlower

I had stop working to go to school so the money was not there at first. But then I realized my stylist wasnt relaxing my hair properly anyway. So I started to do it myself but I learned about the process first.

My hair is thicker, stronger, and its cheaper. I dont have to put my scalp at the mercy of another and I can control the length of time I leave it in. I also used to hate that my hair was relaxed super bone straight. Now, I leave a little texture.

Umm, no. I decreased the strength to regular, use a lye relaxer, and I do not leave it on long. This helps reduce the potential damage it can cause.

Use the half/half method (look in my fotki to see what I mean) if you are not confident you can get through your whole head fast enough before you start burning or if you have really thick hair.

Apply conditioner over the previous relaxed hair to protect against overprocessing.

Grease your scalp and edges always.

You can use Roux Porosity Control Conditioner to improve the relaxers ability to process so you can leave it in your hair less time.

Use gloves always.

Follow up always after with a color alert neutralizing shampoo then a reconstructor to build up the hair again.

Carisa

I had stop working to go to school so the money was not there at first. But then I realized my stylist wasnt relaxing my hair properly anyway. So I started to do it myself but I learned about the process first.

My hair is thicker, stronger, and its cheaper. I dont have to put my scalp at the mercy of another and I can control the length of time I leave it in. I also used to hate that my hair was relaxed super bone straight. Now, I leave a little texture.

Umm, no. I decreased the strength to regular, use a lye relaxer, and I do not leave it on long. This helps reduce the potential damage it can cause.

Use the half/half method (look in my fotki to see what I mean) if you are not confident you can get through your whole head fast enough before you start burning or if you have really thick hair.

Apply conditioner over the previous relaxed hair to protect against overprocessing.

Grease your scalp and edges always.

You can use Roux Porosity Control Conditioner to improve the relaxers ability to process so you can leave it in your hair less time.

Use gloves always.

Follow up always after with a color alert neutralizing shampoo then a reconstructor to build up the hair again.

:yep: ^What she said.
Also I don't relax every 6-8 weeks as stylist advise, I usually go for at least 12 weeks in between relaxers so that decreases my chances of damage.

When and why did you start self-relaxing? On and off through high school and faithfully since 2002. In school it was to save money and my mom was a DIYer so it came natural. Since I've been in the military and moving around so often, from one bad stylist to the other, I realized nobody can do my hair like me.

How have you benefited from it? Most definitely...my strands are thickening up since I stretch as long as possible. In addition to healthier hair, I'm retaining length as well. All of that on top of saving money, one tub of relaxer will last me at least 6 months if not longer.

Were there any setbacks when you started? I've underprocessed a couple times but nothing major.

I'm considering self relaxing any advice? Quality products have been key for me. I use Mizani everything. I always base my hair real good a day or two before I plan to do the relaxer. Using the proper strength relaxer for hair is very important. Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, and Rinse again thoroughly. Make sure to let the neutralizing poo sit on the hair before rinsing. A good protein treatment is a must as well.

ClassyDiva

I started self relaxing in 2005.... That's when my sister refused to do it anymore and because I wanted to learn to do my hair on my own.

I benefitted from not going to a salon just to get relaxed as much as possible. I also learned that when I self relax, my hair feel much strong that a professionals touch.

Minor ones... Such as matted hair. I learned to over come that. If that happens, I use oil(olive, jojoba, tea tree, etc) to help unravel.

Listen to your head and hair. If it starts to burn before the required time... RINSE IMMEDIATELY. Alot of ppl think "ok it burns but it's not time". U will overproccess and have MAJOR setbacks. If your self relaxer doesn't have some sort of moisturizer that works for you... Try your daily moisturizer.

NIN4eva

When and why did you start self-relaxing? When I was about 12 or so. My Mom got tired of doing it.

I never did until I found this forum, big chopped, stayed natural for 2 years and then started relaxing again. Now I have thick, healthy strands reaching for BSL. I also know not to use direct heat now.

Were there any setbacks when you started? Before LHCF I was using box color, permanent color, flat irons, blow dryers, I was a complete hot chewed up mess.

- REALLY pay attention to your strands daily: Are they dry, dull, too hard or too elastic? Keep the moisture protein balance in check
- Do a protein DC after right after thoroughly rinsing out the relaxer and before using a neutralizing shampoo. Then do a rinse out moisturizing conditioner after thoroughly neutralizing.
- Get familiar with the Roux brand of products. I dropped off myself, but I need to go back.
- Experiment with different application techniques.
- It's OK to underprocess because it's practically impossible not to overlap during touchups even when you apply something to the previously relaxed hair. So when if you tend to overlap a little on your own head like I do, you have healthier strands overall after time.

Last edited:

Luscious850

I began self relaxing July 2007. I started self relaxing because stylists in my area would not support my stretches. They began to complain like mad and I feel like they started charging me extra for the ng:perplexed:

My hair is not over processed. It is much healthier and has more elasticity. Ooooh yea, and the thickness is a PLUS!

YES, when I began experimenting with BSS hair dyes.. that was a disaster. I had to BC to ear length in September 2010:nono:

This is what has worked for ME:
- If you have over 1.5in. of ng try the half/half method, it will be easier for you to avoid over processing. You will end up with a much more even application
- Stretching relaxers very long isn't for everyone so listen to your hair
- Do not manipulate your hair so much the week before your relaxer so that you can avoid scalp burns
- Make sure to do a moisture/protein mix DC after relaxers to replenish nutrients:lick:
** Most important: If you are planning to stretch prepare to switch up your regimen because that line of demarcation has to be your MAIN focus.

MissTripleChoc

I had my first relaxer done when i was 17 years ago in a salon after, but that i have been self relaxing

Its cheaper, i get to choose how long it stays on, i definitely know what relaxer is being put on my head! i can add oils to the relaxer

Scalp burns but hat can happen even in a salon, under processing because i couldn't see that certain parts of my hair hadn't been processed properly.

- Run the tap and check that your water hasn't been shut off by the water board, they do this at times when doing repairs to the outdoor mains pipes!!! lol!!

-Part you hair into four sections before relaxing, its easier to apply the relaxer this way

-Cover the lengths of your hair in castor oil to prevent previously relaxed hair from being processed

-Use a wide relaxer brush, the quicker the application the longer time you can spend with the relaxer on your head

-Apply oil to the relaxer, i find it reduces scalp burns and is gentler to the hair

-Rotate the sides you relax you hair first, such as one month start off with the right side and then the next time start off with the left

- Get someone to help you apply the relaxer to the parts of you hair you fund hard to reach or see

-Time how long it takes you to apply the relaxer

-Wash the relaxer out at least five times with the neutralising shampoo to ensure you get it all out

- Do a deep condition light protein treatment after relaxer to replenish the proteins you have lost

Good luck x