The longer you stretch making you stretch even longer?

aquajoyice

I typically texlax every 4 months as part of my reggie. But i'm finding the closer I get to the end of my stretch it makes me want to stretch longer. :spinning::spinning:

So as a result of relaxer anxiety i'm on a 6 month stretch that will be ending in March. I haven't done anything spectacular to my hair just the normal wash, detangle and deep con once a week. I've found that blowing out my roots makes it easier to manage my new growth when detangling.
With a lot going on in other aspects of my life i've been doing a lot of protective styling. The more I handle my hair i've grown really attached to my texture and even considered going natural since my texlaxed hair is very similar to my new growth.

Okay to the point :) I was watching a video on YT of someone relaxing their hair and the sight of relaxer being slathered on hair kinda freaked me out a little. :look::look: It was like watching someone detangle with a rat tail comb. It was bad ya'll :lachen::lachen: And I have to ask....when you stretch do you find yourself hesitant on your next relaxer day? When you stretch does it make you want to stretch longer to avoid getting a relaxer?

Aireen

I was going to make a thread like this and still might but yes, I relax every 3-4 months, usually 4 and I'm VERY anxious. I don't know whether to wait or relax my hair in 9 days. I want to wait for the 5 month mark because taking baby steps with stretching for me is key. As the date comes closer, I'm even wondering if I should cut my hair in a style while leaving most of the length. That itself is a contradiction because right now I feel like I have shorter hair than I actually do. I REALLY feel like I'm only SL and I always get a shock if I see my hair in the mirror or people say it's long. So what's the point of me cutting bangs and layers just to WAIT again to grow it out?! :sad:

SIGH, I'm lost. :lol:

nevaeh

Lately when relaxer time comes around I end up stretching a month longer. Last time I relaxed at 16 weeks, so far I am 12 weeks post with no desire to relax infact I am dreading when 16 weeks comes around again and will possibly go to 20. Even though I texlax I still feel that relaxing is the only thing in my regimen that could possibly damage my hair and set me back. I baby my hair for months just to relax it and I always feel like I didn't need to do it afterwards, in my mind I always think that I could have stretched a little longer.

chasturner84

I find that each time I relax my hair at my usual 4-4.5 months, I love my results at first but then I regret relaxing. I always give myself that mental "I KNOW I could have stretched just a little bit longer" speech. I'm not condsidering becoming natural but I'm definitely going to remove myself from my 16-18 wks relaxer schedule this year and just stretch until I get tired of stretching.

~NanCeBoTwin~

I've been through that feeling before, which was how I ended stretching for 39 weeks, my longest stretch ever. My stylist thinks she is slick but that is what she is doing to me now. I normally relax every 14 weeks at the minimum. But she asked that I go 20 weeks this time and she'll do my hair for free between the 16 week mark and the 20 week mark. At which point I know she's going to say you've gone 20 weeks why not go 24, and so on and so on. I'm actually toying with the idea of doing another 39 week stretch this go round. We'll see what happens.

aquajoyice

Lately when relaxer time comes around I end up stretching a month longer. Last time I relaxed at 16 weeks, so far I am 12 weeks post with no desire to relax infact I am dreading when 16 weeks comes around again and will possibly go to 20. Even though I texlax I still feel that relaxing is the only thing in my regimen that could possibly damage my hair and set me back. I baby my hair for months just to relax it and I always feel like I didn't need to do it afterwards, in my mind I always think that I could have stretched a little longer.

You know what, that makes sense. Spending so much time caring for my hair only to damage it on purpose is the root of the problem. When you spend so much time deep conditioning and gently detangling it changes the way you think about your hair.

aquajoyice

I've been through that feeling before, which was how I ended stretching for 39 weeks, my longest stretch ever. My stylist thinks she is slick but that is what she is doing to me now. I normally relax every 14 weeks at the minimum. But she asked that I go 20 weeks this time and she'll do my hair for free between the 16 week mark and the 20 week mark. At which point I know she's going to say you've gone 20 weeks why not go 24, and so on and so on. I'm actually toying with the idea of doing another 39 week stretch this go round. We'll see what happens.

OMG I love your stylist! Most stylist would be recommending a relaxer at 8 weeks post. :lol::lol:

aquajoyice

I find that each time I relax my hair at my usual 4-4.5 months, I love my results at first but then I regret relaxing. I always give myself that mental "I KNOW I could have stretched just a little bit longer" speech. I'm not condsidering becoming natural but I'm definitely going to remove myself from my 16-18 wks relaxer schedule this year and just stretch until I get tired of stretching.

Yes, i've also considered this. The less I think about a time schedule that forces me to texlax maybe it will take the stress off of it.

Embyra

i made a conscious decision to stretch after a hairdresser abused my hair every six months i say im getting a relaxer well its been 2 years 3 months still no relaxer :lachen:

blessedandlucky

I definitely experienced this even though my stretch may not be the longest according to LHCF standards. 12 weeks is my longest and while it was fun to push through, I experienced breakage and excessive shedding. I nipped both problems in the bud but it still hurt my hair. Stretching isn't for everyone and my experience reiterates how important it is to listen to your hair. Lesson learned! ( stretch on of it works for you!)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Aviah

I used to do every 3-4 months, then went for six at a time.
I never regretted actually getting the relaxer, or not stretching longer. I couldn't wait to finally do it!

FearfullyMade

I can dig, I used to literally go months to a year just stretching then I would perm....almost 3 years later I still have the boxed perm....lol (speaking of this, I need to pitch it as soon as I get home):)

Chevelure618

I know just what you mean. Before healthy hair care, I used to hate when my new growth started coming in. I couldn't wait for my touch-up. But now, it doesn't even start getting fun until 7 weeks. I find that when I texlax at 12-14 weeks I immediately miss my NG even though it gets much harder to manage at that point. I really want to go 20-24 weeks because I want 3 inches of NG. That will put the longest back piece of my hair firmly at BSL which is a lot of hair when you are 5'11"...would be past MBL on an average height woman.

After my last touch-up I missed playing in my new growth..I even missed stretching it out with the UBH Lotion Creme Moisturizer. I even start getting scared thinking that every touch-up could be my last...that at any point that buffered Drano could take all of my hair out. That'll scare me into another week of stretch until I remember that that is what Affirm Gentle Assurance scalp protector is there for.

ezina

I used to do every 3-4 months, then went for six at a time.
I never regretted actually getting the relaxer, or not stretching longer. I couldn't wait to finally do it!

I also used to stretch every 3-4 months. Now I do 6 and I can't wait till relaxer day! Other then health reasons, I stretch just for the reveal. :)

After one week of swangin', more bunning for another 6 months until I reach my goal!

MissMusic

I currently have that mindset. I initially intended an 18 week stretch, but I am currently on week 21 and have no plans to relax any time soon. I just want to see how far I can go before I give in, plus I am having fun styling my hair a different way each week.

Poopiedo

I was planning on stretching for 12 weeks but then I decided there was no need. Then I decided I'll stretch for 16 weeks. The longer I stretch, the more I'm able to handle this texture that I was so quick to get rid of in the past. Ecostyler and a scarf work wonders. I always gave in because I couldn't get my edges to lay down like I needed. Now that I have my edges under control, I have decided to do my first 6 month stretch. From now on I think I will stretch for a minimum of 16 weeks and a max of 20 weeks.

I'm always excited to see the progress when I stretch but when I relax, I immediately miss my new growth. When I don't feel my new growth I feel I have relaxed away my progress. My new growth lets me know how far I've come. As soon as I relax, I can't wait until I start feeling those waves again. It lets me know I'm doing something right.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Good Thread OP!:grin:

I have found this to be true as well. I am currently adding 2 weeks, 2 weeks, 2 weeks.

During that time, it gives me time to build my hair up, think about my regimen and just focus on hair health.

I'll get around to it soon tho'.:yep:

sunnieb

I don't think I necessarily want to stretch longer, but I do appreciate my newgrowth now. I like seeing it get longer because it means my hair is growing. I love feeling it come in all soft, crinkly, and curly. Before LHCF, I was getting a relaxer every 4 weeks so I never even knew what my newgrowth felt like.

aquajoyice

I know just what you mean. Before healthy hair care, I used to hate when my new growth started coming in. I couldn't wait for my touch-up. But now, it doesn't even start getting fun until 7 weeks. I find that when I texlax at 12-14 weeks I immediately miss my NG even though it gets much harder to manage at that point. I really want to go 20-24 weeks because I want 3 inches of NG. That will put the longest back piece of my hair firmly at BSL which is a lot of hair when you are 5'11"...would be past MBL on an average height woman.

After my last touch-up I missed playing in my new growth..I even missed stretching it out with the UBH Lotion Creme Moisturizer. I even start getting scared thinking that every touch-up could be my last...that at any point that buffered Drano could take all of my hair out. That'll scare me into another week of stretch until I remember that that is what Affirm Gentle Assurance scalp protector is there for.

YAY Another tall Queen! I'm working on MBL and i'm 6'. I know exactly what you mean :yep::yep:

BellaStephanie

You have just summed up a lot of my thoughts and feelings right now.... Part of me wants to transition and another like the relaxed look... I am torn too...

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
This is sooo my issue too. I am almost 16 weeks post and am in luv :spinning: with my new growth. Problem is I really like straight hair styles and I would have to use a lot of heat to maintain the straightness. Luckily i've been wearing a wig for the last 2 months but DH has been complaining that he doesn't get to see my hair any more. My plan is to relax on Sat. but who knows...

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I would love to stretch longer but I find that my hair misbehaves at 11 weeks post, without fail. Therefore, it's in my best interest to keep with 10 weeks until I learn how to stretch beyond that point. 10 weeks is an improvement for where I originally started. Baby steps.

Side note: I did stretch to 16 weeks one time, thinking I could go longer and longer and I regretted this decision because of breakage. Now, I'm sticking with what works for me rather than trying to hang with the big dogs. I'll stay a pup for now and keep in my lane. :yep:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Aquajoice, I feel like that whenever I hit 4 months post. But I prefer straight/texlaxed hair, plus I nor my hair tolerate direct heat well. In this environment I would have to use alot of heat to keep my hair straight/loosely textured.

Renee29

I'm just learning to deal with my textures as well. I am about two inches from apl and currently on a 16 week stretch. I'm learning what different products to use as I prgress to control my hair so that I can go out and look presentable. I admit that I do love playing in my new growth. I will texlax for the 3d time sometime in March...

sweet_silvia88

well im in my first stretch from 8 weeks and im currently almost 24 weeks and i kind of like it and have get used to it but i also am very anxious for my relax results so yeah i will continue stretching after i complete 6 months...

Carisa

When you stretch does it make you want to stretch longer to avoid getting a relaxer?

Its not that I avoid relaxing I just think stretching is addictive- Ive worked my way up to 4 months of stretching before and will defenitely stretch longer this time around. Ive considered going natural because I like the way my new growth looks and feels but I like the straight hair also- not that I cant get the straight look being natural but id just have to use too much heat (I already have to use alot of heat when straightening so I couldn't imagine using more).

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I'm 28 wks tomorrow and originally planned to stretch for 6 months. Getting to close to relaxer day does make me feel anxious. Not that I think that texlaxing will damage my hair. I've obviously grown some hair since I've started texlaxing so, I'm not worried about that. It just seems convenient to continue stretching (too lazy/busy to relax). But, I get anxious from time to time when I read others saying that they wish they hadn't stretched so long, or "I won't stretch that long again". Or I see others with skimpy relaxed ends, probably because some of it has broken off at the point of demarc. That makes me want to go ahead and relax so that I won't have to worry about crazy breakage.

I've been seriously neglecting my hair the past few weeks because of all that's going on with my parents being in the hospital so, I don't really feel like I've sufficiently prepared my hair to relax. BUT, I don't want my neglect to cause breakage or dreading. I'm in a catch 22 situation. I want to relax if I have to relax. But, I don't have time to really determine if I'm in a have to situation and think that I'd better so that I won't have to worry. Er, does that make sense? :perplexed

I'm planning to relax on Wed or Thursday. I REALLY don't want to. I think I need more time to prepare my hair so, if I don't relax Wed or Thursday, then I will try to hang on until 30wks. DANG! I've never been beyond 14 wks, I think.

What do you ladies think? I'm leaning towards continuing til 30 wks and hoping for the best. :look:

SimJam

yep when I was relaxed I took it in baby steps, considering tht I was coming from relaxing every 5 - 6 weeks, I got up to 12, by extending 1 to 2 weeks each time.

my line of demarcation was a warzone.

Im natural now

Beany

YES! That's exactly what I'm doing now.

mstk

I'm currently at 18 weeks post. This is the longest I've ever stretched. Since I plan on wigging it for the winter, I'm not sure when I'll texlax again. Also, I can't seem to find my preferred relaxer (Mizani Butter Blends mild) here, so I'll have to order it from the internet. The only thing that's giving me pause is how much hair I lost during detangling when I washed my hair this past weekend - I must not have been handling my hair gently enough.