To cut or not to cut, that is the question

mscounselor

I have been examining my ends lately and I realized that I have so many different lengths I dont know what to do with them. My hair doesn't even have a style to it. Should I cut it into a style or should I just ask for a trim to see if it looks better?
TIA

esoterica

it all depends on what hairstyle you're trying to achieve. if you wear protective styles all the time then it doesn't matter. if you wear your hair down then even ends will look better. if you can trim it and still look good then there's no reason to have an actual cut. unless there is a particular (shorter) style that you have in mind.

SleekandBouncy

Cut, unless you wear protective styles 99% of the time. My s.o. kindly pointed out that my ends looked thin and uneven and took away from the shine and length. After seeing my ends from behind I got a haircut and love it!
If anything get an even cut or you can get a styled cut, I went to a white salon for a style cut only because I think many black salon's don't get a lot of requests for complicated cuts so the stylists aren't as practiced. Shoot I have friends that think style cuts are only for white girls....

HairQueen

If you are like me and absolutely cannot bear to have short hair then I would say trim bit by bit. My hair is just the same as yours because i had layers put in when I was 13 and now 16 yrs later I am trying to get them out because I hate them. I have been slowly evening it up with trims every 2-3 months. You could even trim it once a month and see how it goes...

mscounselor

SleekandBouncy said:
Cut, unless you wear protective styles 99% of the time. My s.o. kindly pointed out that my ends looked thin and uneven and took away from the shine and length. After seeing my ends from behind I got a haircut and love it!
If anything get an even cut or you can get a styled cut, I went to a white salon for a style cut only because I think many black salon's don't get a lot of requests for complicated cuts so the stylists aren't as practiced. Shoot I have friends that think style cuts are only for white girls....
I dont wear protective styles much so I'll keep that in mind. I tried to do that this week and my ends look worse because of it. I guess Im just not a protective style person. :p