To cut or not to cut.....that is the question?

sterry

Hey ladies,

My 4 year old has type 2 hair and is long enough to sit on it.
She is constantly tugging, combing or trying to style her hair on her on. She loves to wear it out.
Because of this she has broken pieces everywhere from where it has been tangled or caught in some contraption.
I really dislike seeing several piece sticking out from her braids. It is not breakage from damaged hair...only from pulling out scrunchies, combing, tangling etc.
I don't like these broken pieces and am wondering if I should cut it to one of the shorter lengths. Her hair is even...but the broken pieces drive me nuts?

SingingStar12

I showed this post to my mom, and she said she once had to make this decision about my hair when I was younger too. My mom advised to not cut it up to your child's shoulders, but to cut it up to the middle of your daughter's back. She said she hated to do this to my hair and I hated it too, but it was the healthier choice, so there would not be split ends going up the shaft. Maybe as the hair grows you could trim it off little by little. HTH

sterry

Thanks you. It is not that she has split ends. I do trim her hair about every 4 months.
It the pieces of hair that are broken off. Not to the root, but couple of strands shorter. You can really tell when she wear braids. All these shorter pieces stick out.

Ayeshia

my mom purposely cut my hair shoulder length when i was younger because i used to get gum in it and play in it. she decided to stop cutting it when i was about 7 because by then i wasnt careless anymore and i wanted long hair...lol