TO CUT OR NOT TO CUT? THAT IS THE QUESTION

tsturnbu

Hey ladies,

So, this is the deal. For the ladt 2 months, I have been wearing my hair in a very moisturized bun. I relaxed my hair a few days ago, and got about 2 inches of length (so its a little longer than what u see in my avatar). However, my ends are completely see through. I think I need about 3 inches cut off. Now, I am getting married soon, and want my hair to be a full, one length, at waist, but I am not sure if I can achieve that if I cut the 3 inches off. SHould i just bite the bullet and get teh trim/cut at one time, or should i cut a little at a time. all suggestions welcomed.

MiWay

Are you sure you need to cut 3 inches? When are you getting married?

I'm scared of the scissors, so I'd probably start with 1 inch and just baby my ends. If you have to relax again before your wedding, and your ends still aren't "right", maybe you can cut another inch with the relaxer. 3 inches just seems drastic, especially if you want a certain length by a certain time.

Your hair is absolutely beautiful, BTW!

locabouthair

Congratulations! when are you getting married?

i have to cut about 4 inches of thin ends but i will do it gradually, maybe you can do that.

maybe you can wear some curls to camoflauge the thin ends?

or wear an updo for your wedding?

NAKISH66

I say trim a little at a time, especially if the wedding is close. You can always do your big cut after your wedding day.

OT- You and Babygurl are my two hair idols, I think both of you ladies have beautiful heads of hair. I stay in both fotkis, and they both give me hope. When will your next update be? Keep growing that beautiful hair!!
CONGRATS on the wedding!!

Kacie

I say trim a little at a time, especially if the wedding is close. You can always do your big cut after your wedding day.

OT- You and Babygurl are my two hair idols, I think both of you ladies have beautiful heads of hair. I stay in both fotkis, and they both give me hope. When will your next update be? Keep growing that beautiful hair!!

I agree. I think if you cut so much at one time, you'll be stressing about regaining the length too much. Your hair is beautiful.

NAKISH, your hair is :shocked:. What's up with the album, you know you can't just post one pic and expect not to get harassed :look:.

tsturnbu

Nakish, your hair is absolutely gorgeous. right now, i am trying to get it all one length, like yours. my hair is thick, but not at the ends, especially the sides. it seems like the middle of the hair continues to thrive, while my sides suffer. i am getting very frustrated. i may just cut a little at a time. but the only problem is, i always sat i will trim a little at a time, but never do so...i suffer from trim anxiety. it usually all or nothing with me, so i can suffer one time. maybe not the best logic, but it seems to help. but i may just have to cut a little at a time, because 3 inches is alot, but it is necessary. thanks ladies!

NAKISH66

Nakish, your hair is absolutely gorgeous. right now, i am trying to get it all one length, like yours. my hair is thick, but not at the ends, especially the sides. it seems like the middle of the hair continues to thrive, while my sides suffer. i am getting very frustrated. i may just cut a little at a time. but the only problem is, i always sat i will trim a little at a time, but never do so...i suffer from trim anxiety. it usually all or nothing with me, so i can suffer one time. maybe not the best logic, but it seems to help. but i may just have to cut a little at a time, because 3 inches is alot, but it is necessary. thanks ladies!

Thank you lady, but my hair is no where close to one length. I have a tail just like you it just depends on how my hair is styled. At least 2 inches of my hair need to be cut, because it's THIN. I'm going to dust until I can't dust no more:grin:, because I really don't want to chop. Your hair is BEAUTIFUL, and I can't wait for that fotki update :wink2:!!

TLC1020

OMG your hair is beautiful...:yep: Congrats on your upcoming wedding, you could wear an updo.. I would suggest dusting a little bit at a time until the damage ends are gone... Your hair is gorgeous :spinning:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I say trim a little bit at a time if you are not sure about the 3" one time trim. You've got gorgeous hair. If I were in your shoes, I'd do it gradually. I'm not good with BCs.

prospurr4

I transitioned from relaxed to texlaxed, and I still have about 2" of thin, straighter ends that need to go. I plan to wait until the majority of my hair is at MBL, which will occur after my touchup in March. Then I will begin doing gradual cuts/trims, maintaining MBL, until my ends are thick/blunt. After that, WSL...here I come!

ETA: I didn't directly answer your question. I say, Cut/trim gradually. Congratulations!

Last edited:

NAKISH66

I transitioned from relaxed to texlaxed, and I still have about 2" of thin, straighter ends that need to go. I plan to wait until the majority of my hair is at MBL, which will occur after my touchup in March. Then I will begin doing gradual cuts/trims, maintaining MBL, until my ends are thick/blunt. After that, WSL...here I come!

About how many years did it take you to transition from bone straight to texlaxed? Did you get a lot of breakage from the different textures? Thanks!

Moroni

If you only cut 1 inch, and wear it curled on the ends (with Carusos) no one other than you will even be able to tell what your ends look like. Then, after you've got another 2 or 3 inches growth, cut another inch, and repeat until you're happy with the results. There's NO WAY I'd sacrifice all of my progress in one sitting!

ETA: CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEDDING!!!

carcajada

I say trim a little bit at a time if you are not sure about the 3" one time trim. You've got gorgeous hair. If I were in your shoes, I'd do it gradually. I'm not good with BCs.

Agreed. Just trim a little at a time. You can always change your mind and chop it, but if you start off by chopping, you can't quickly reclaim those inches back.

prospurr4

About how many years did it take you to transition from bone straight to texlaxed? Did you get a lot of breakage from the different textures? Thanks!

You're welcome, NAKISH. I began my transition in 12/2005, so it's been 2 years now. I moisturize my hair daily, handle my hair gently, and wear mostly protective and low-manipulation styles. Consequently, I didn't/don't experience unusual breakage.

ETA: On 12/2005, I also stopped using all direct heat. I am sure that has helped me curb breakage as well.

Last edited:

malibu4590

Girl, you better get your dust on so you can be swingin' that hair at waist length for your wedding! I think a BC would be a pretty drastic move especially since you have a goal to meet and a special day to wow everyone with your fantastic progress!

Congrats!