To Cone or Not to Cone?

Naturals & Transitioners: What is your experience with cones, moisture & detangling?

• I use cones and I don't have any issues. My hair detangles like a dream!

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • I use cones for the detangling/sealing properties, but they do cause me to have moisture issues.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I don't use cones, they keep my hair from being moisturized. I have trouble detangling as a result.

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • I don't use cones. I found an alternative way to give my hair slip.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Other, please explain.

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters

FindingMe

do you have any problems detangling??

not with the cones...i use Mixed Chicks DC (see siggy) after every shampoo for about 2-3 min, then comb DC out under running shower. That's the only way I can actually comb through my hair without the snagging and pulling. So far, the Mixed Chicks works the best on my hair for this. It's got cones.

Mrs.Green

I used to be scared of cones because of the boards:look:. But I've been using them for a couple weeks now and LOVE them. Don't know how I went without them. I guess cones are like heat as long as you use them properly should be no problem.

One quick wash with shampoo followed up with a moisturizing conditioner keeps my hair from cone build up:yep:.

Muse

I used to be scared of cones because of the boards:look:. But I've been using them for a couple weeks now and LOVE them. Don't know how I went without them. I guess cones are like heat as long as you use them properly should be no problem.

One quick wash with shampoo followed up with a moisturizing conditioner keeps my hair from cone build up:yep:.

That's exactly it!!

Noir

thanks for this info! what shampoo do you use?
you're welcome hun. I use Pureology purifying poo, L'anza's chelating poo or my own ayurvedic shampoo that I created myself. The Pureology and L'anza poo's are pretty pricey though.

BTW you don't have to use a sls or sles poo to remove cones you can use a coco betaine (derived from coconut) poo which is very gentle cleaner found in a lot of natural/organic poo's and cleansers.

Avalon organics have a wonderful no sls poo which contains coco betaine - I love that poo also and it gently removes cones.

poookie

would anyone happen to know the difference between cocamidapropyl beatine and cocamide mea? do both remove cones?

thinkpinkprincess

you're welcome hun. I use Pureology purifying poo, L'anza's chelating poo or my own ayurvedic shampoo that I created myself. The Pureology and L'anza poo's are pretty pricey though.

BTW you don't have to use a sls or sles poo to remove cones you can use a coco betaine (derived from coconut) poo which is very gentle cleaner found in a lot of natural/organic poo's and cleansers.

Avalon organics have a wonderful no sls poo which contains coco betaine - I love that poo also and it gently removes cones.

sweet thanks for the info I'm def gonna look for the Avalon Organics lol

*Muffin*

I don't feel that cones are necessarily bad in themselves. It just reminds me of the saying "everything ain't for everybody". I've heard people say that using cones is all right but they have to use a clarifying shampoo of some sort. And I'm pretty sure that the main ingredient in most heat protectants is cones.

Naturelle

I understand using cones in styling, rinse off/ leave in conditioners and moisturizing products may block moisture from really penetrating the hair, but what about deep conditioners? Is it bad if they contain cones? Esp if the deep conditioner is supposedly a moisturizing one?

changedlife

I am torn between cones and no-cones right now. I have been cone free for 2 years and my hair is dry as Sahara desert :sad: which has been going on for four months. I may be going back to cones :ohwell:

vkb247

The thing i've recently discovered is that not all cones are the same and some work great and some don't. Products i've used in the past like pantene and HE felt great but after a couple of days, my hair was ultra dry which=big, tangly mess that take 45min to detangle. But i took a tip from the Sabino website on how to apply their wonderful conefilled serum to curly hair and my hair has been a dream ever since.

I shampoo once a week with a mild shampoo (elucence), then I do a steam d/c with my conditioner (elucence or one of the aubreys), leave some in then put the sabino on last. Now the conditioners and shampoo are cone free since i'm sealing everything in with cones..... i figured it would be redundant to use such products. i've been doing this for 3 weeks and my hair is in great shape. I spritz daily and add a teeny bit of conditioner and my hair stays nice all day. I don't know the long term effects but so far, i love it.

How are things going with the sabino nurse? Your hair looks beautiful in your avi. If it will make my curls look like that then I might start using cones again :yep:

pinkchocolatedaisy

Ok cause I thought I was losing my mind. My hair hates sulfate poos but loves cones. So I thought by default I had to give up cones- and a lot of my favorite products have cones :perplexed

shtow

I read that most cones build up after 3 applications. My only cone product is my heat protectant so now I clarify every other wash. (I wash once a week).

CenteredGirl

In my experiences the success with which one uses cones is directly related to how moisturized your hair is to begin with.

If your hair is moisturized, the cones are a plus creating a much need barrier to keep moisture in from wash to wash.

If you hair is porous, and as such, doesn't hold moisture well, cones are a big mistake because you don't trap anything in the hair and you keep anything that is moisture based out of the hair. Now cones can fool this type of hair for awhile, making the user THINK that hair is moisturized, but sooner or later, it will turn on you and break your non-moisturized hair off.

It's quite the tricky dilema. :perplexed

Morenita

In my experiences the success with which one uses cones is directly related to how moisturized your hair is to begin with.

If your hair is moisturized, the cones are a plus creating a much need barrier to keep moisture in from wash to wash.

If you hair is porous, and as such, doesn't hold moisture well, cones are a big mistake because you don't trap anything in the hair and you keep anything that is moisture based out of the hair. Now cones can fool this type of hair for awhile, making the user THINK that hair is moisturized, but sooner or later, it will turn on you and break your non-moisturized hair off.

:goodpost: I agree. I personally changed up my reggie a bit to see what cone-free would do for me. I found two incredible products that give irresistible slip, but moisturize and detangle as well. I posted a thread on the topic just now :p (Qhemet's Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, and Curl Junkie's Banana and Hibiscus Deep Conditioner).

All, in all, I used to think that my hair liked cones, but I'm finding that I was using them as a crutch. I love the slip, but I am only using them now when I straighten for the most part. Once I use up all of what I currently have with cones in it, my only staple products containing cones will be Sabino Moisture Block and WEN. I think, I *think* I finally found what works for me :weird:

lwilliams1922

:goodpost: I agree. I personally changed up my reggie a bit to see what cone-free would do for me. I found two incredible products that give irresistible slip, but moisturize and detangle as well. I posted a thread on the topic just now :p (Qhemet's Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, and Curl Junkie's Banana and Hibiscus Deep Conditioner).

All, in all, I used to think that my hair liked cones, but I'm finding that I was using them as a crutch. I love the slip, but I am only using them now when I straighten for the most part.

I agree

I will only used cones when I straigten every few months.
what are you using to clarify? Is there something without sulfites that can remove the cones??

I've been using a vinegar rinse every week but i dont know if that really works to clarify??

Morenita

I agree

I will only used cones when I straigten every few months.
what are you using to clarify? Is there something without sulfites that can remove the cones??

I've been using a vinegar rinse every week but i dont know if that really works to clarify??

Same here. I've only used heat on my hair (direct or indirect) 3 times since April, it's the detangling part that's been getting me though. I think my ends have thinned out a lot from not using/doing the right things. :nono:

I use Neutrogena No Residue (I'm not 100% sure that this is a clarifying poo) and ORS Creamy Aloe to Clarify/Chelate. I'm cutting back to only doing this one a month, if that, and see how that goes. As far as I know, sulfates are the only way to remove cones.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I will use them in very small doses.:look:

I Do make a 'conscious effort' to avoid them, but if a Product works well for me, I have no problem using it.:grin:

I don't have a Stash full of Cone-y Products...But I am sure a Do Have a Few.

MangaManiac

Since I oil my scalp daily I clarify 1x per week. Since I'm trying to use up all my hair products I've been using a lot of products with cones. I've found that as long as I continue to clarify whenever I shampoo and moisturize and seal my hair nightly I have no problems. My hair is in good condition and even when I use serums and leave-ins to straighten my hair it stays moisturized and shiny until I wash next.

I also think cones are important for smoothing the cuticles of the hair so that split ends occur less often.

BlackMasterPiece

I use IC Fantasia Pink Bottle serum AND spray on the regular for straightening and I'm stickin to it!:yep: It makes my hair incredibly easy to comb thru and facilitates straightening I havent seen any adverse effects on my hair.

I use NourishSpa to wash and find it to be clarifying.

nymane

I cone. I also relax. I know some people don't believe in cones at all, but with all the DCing, Chelating, ACVing and washing we do around here I don't honestly believe that they can even get the opportunity to cause much damage. just my opinion though. Cones help to smooth the hair cuticle out so that it is less prone to damaging itself by getting tangles and hooked onto fabrics. I look at yt girl hair and especially those who wash daily. many of their products are cones and i rarely see splits, tangles or damage in their hair so I think the benefits overall outweigh the damage in the long run. Afterall, no sense in growing out all this long beautiful African varieties of hair if it looks long and a hot mess. lol

My hair needs cones. How can my hair thrive if it's rough and hard to detangle? If I'm combing out clobs of hair because it's unmanagable and dry, how can I see progress?

If my hair doesn't get its cones, it's dry, crispy and un-combable. Not good :nono:

I've never had a problem with cones or moisture. The only time I have moisture and softness defenciancy is when I DON'T use cones

All I do is clarify monthly. No problems at all :yep:

ITA...nice thread!

Fhrizzball

I use Herbal Essence conditioners which have cones. I try to resist but they're soo creamy and help moisturize and detangle. The nice smell is a plus too. I try to balance it out with natural butters and natural treatments though. It's just hard to find cheap cone free products that do the same HE does and is in stores. I keep telling myself to go completely cone free but never get around to it.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I only use cones when I'm straightening.

But when in its natural state, I avoid them (with the exception of Fantasia IC Gel). They do nothing but coat my strands, cause dryness, and decrease the amount of clumping.

Kimiche

Makes me wonder. I have been trying to avoid using cones, but my hair acts up when I use certain natural products, especially Bee Mine moisturizers. I'm on the fence.

Tiye

One day the anti-silicone mythology will disappear from hair boards and it will be a good day coz it has no basis in scientific fact. I think it was someone's sales pitch at the turn of the new millenium and hopefully by now they've found more compelling reasons that people should buy other than it doesn't have silicone in it.